Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Automatic extension tubes for macro?

Hello,

Experienced macro shooters, please help. I'm looking for macro tubes that transfer the aperture and shutter speed to the lens from the body. What do you suggest?

05-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could buy a cheap auto teleconverter and remove the glass...
Sigma actually had some teleconverters that were designed for that; glass element could easily removed.
05-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
Hello,

Experienced macro shooters, please help. I'm looking for macro tubes that transfer the aperture and shutter speed to the lens from the body. What do you suggest?
Kenko has a set of auto extension tubes, though they are relatively rare to find, and can be a bit finicky (i.e. sometimes they don't couple properly and need to be wiggled to get the communication between lens and body going).
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another option is to use tubes that support the aperture lever, and fake the rest:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965512

This post has the text, scroll down a couple more posts in the thread for photos of my setup.

05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is what manacho was referring to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48139.jpg
Pic was stupid huge (forgot to shrink before sticking in album) so I just made a link.
I love this thing to death for both the 2x teleconversion and the 1:1 macro. I discovered its existence by accident on ebay and got one for absolute pocket change off KEH. The guts are kept in bayonet style so you can remove the inner part in 2 seconds in the field with your fingers. I keep a little fluffy bag with to keep the core safe when I'm using it as a macro tube.

There is currently something that could be converted for $5 here (top of list):
Pentax Manual Focus Lens Converters - KEH.com
but its not a quick release so it may permanently become an extension tube if you modify it. Just look for stuff with the contacts on them.
05-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
This is what manacho was referring to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48139.jpg
Pic was stupid huge (forgot to shrink before sticking in album) so I just made a link.
I love this thing to death for both the 2x teleconversion and the 1:1 macro. I discovered its existence by accident on ebay and got one for absolute pocket change off KEH. The guts are kept in bayonet style so you can remove the inner part in 2 seconds in the field with your fingers. I keep a little fluffy bag with to keep the core safe when I'm using it as a macro tube.

There is currently something that could be converted for $5 here (top of list):
Pentax Manual Focus Lens Converters - KEH.com
but its not a quick release so it may permanently become an extension tube if you modify it. Just look for stuff with the contacts on them.
can you tell me the name of this Sigma, I check the availability...I want to do macro. So far I found plenty of tubes with auto diaphragm, but the quality product usually above 35-40 GBP, plus postal costs...
05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
can you tell me the name of this Sigma, I check the availability...I want to do macro. So far I found plenty of tubes with auto diaphragm, but the quality product usually above 35-40 GBP, plus postal costs...
OK, I found one. And what length of tube it is equal to?
05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am not really sure how they measure extension tubes, but from flat mounting surface to flat mounting surface its somewhere around 44 or 45mm long.

If you want more macro zoom a trick I found was to use the sigma tube with my Pentax A35-105 F3.5 which has a macro function built into it already so you are basically macroing a macro. This US dime is actually hand held touching the front lens of the camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48136.jpg
The other nice thing about that setup is you can focus using the zoom of the zoom lens. When using an extension tube your focal range becomes so small that the regular focus basically becomes useless so you normally just leave it on infinity and move the camera closer or farther away to adjust the focal point, but using a zoom lens lets you adjust the distance, and using the macro feature of that lens gives you WAY more magnification.
This is a picture of a wolf spider I got with that setup on a K1000 film camera with cheap Kodak Gold 200 film.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48400.jpg