Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Automatic extension tubes for macro?

Hello,

Experienced macro shooters, please help. I'm looking for macro tubes that transfer the aperture and shutter speed to the lens from the body. What do you suggest?

05-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member
manacho2005's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Red Oak, TX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 462
You could buy a cheap auto teleconverter and remove the glass...
Sigma actually had some teleconverters that were designed for that; glass element could easily removed.
05-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
Hello,

Experienced macro shooters, please help. I'm looking for macro tubes that transfer the aperture and shutter speed to the lens from the body. What do you suggest?
Kenko has a set of auto extension tubes, though they are relatively rare to find, and can be a bit finicky (i.e. sometimes they don't couple properly and need to be wiggled to get the communication between lens and body going).
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
Another option is to use tubes that support the aperture lever, and fake the rest:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965512

This post has the text, scroll down a couple more posts in the thread for photos of my setup.

05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian
PPPPPP42's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 845
This is what manacho was referring to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48139.jpg
Pic was stupid huge (forgot to shrink before sticking in album) so I just made a link.
I love this thing to death for both the 2x teleconversion and the 1:1 macro. I discovered its existence by accident on ebay and got one for absolute pocket change off KEH. The guts are kept in bayonet style so you can remove the inner part in 2 seconds in the field with your fingers. I keep a little fluffy bag with to keep the core safe when I'm using it as a macro tube.

There is currently something that could be converted for $5 here (top of list):
Pentax Manual Focus Lens Converters - KEH.com
but its not a quick release so it may permanently become an extension tube if you modify it. Just look for stuff with the contacts on them.
05-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
This is what manacho was referring to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48139.jpg
Pic was stupid huge (forgot to shrink before sticking in album) so I just made a link.
I love this thing to death for both the 2x teleconversion and the 1:1 macro. I discovered its existence by accident on ebay and got one for absolute pocket change off KEH. The guts are kept in bayonet style so you can remove the inner part in 2 seconds in the field with your fingers. I keep a little fluffy bag with to keep the core safe when I'm using it as a macro tube.

There is currently something that could be converted for $5 here (top of list):
Pentax Manual Focus Lens Converters - KEH.com
but its not a quick release so it may permanently become an extension tube if you modify it. Just look for stuff with the contacts on them.
can you tell me the name of this Sigma, I check the availability...I want to do macro. So far I found plenty of tubes with auto diaphragm, but the quality product usually above 35-40 GBP, plus postal costs...
05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
can you tell me the name of this Sigma, I check the availability...I want to do macro. So far I found plenty of tubes with auto diaphragm, but the quality product usually above 35-40 GBP, plus postal costs...
OK, I found one. And what length of tube it is equal to?
05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian
PPPPPP42's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 845
I am not really sure how they measure extension tubes, but from flat mounting surface to flat mounting surface its somewhere around 44 or 45mm long.

If you want more macro zoom a trick I found was to use the sigma tube with my Pentax A35-105 F3.5 which has a macro function built into it already so you are basically macroing a macro. This US dime is actually hand held touching the front lens of the camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48136.jpg
The other nice thing about that setup is you can focus using the zoom of the zoom lens. When using an extension tube your focal range becomes so small that the regular focus basically becomes useless so you normally just leave it on infinity and move the camera closer or farther away to adjust the focal point, but using a zoom lens lets you adjust the distance, and using the macro feature of that lens gives you WAY more magnification.
This is a picture of a wolf spider I got with that setup on a K1000 film camera with cheap Kodak Gold 200 film.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46390-pppppp42/albums/4594-pictures/picture48400.jpg

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, extension tubes, macro, photography, tubes
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Extension Tubes old4570 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-15-2013 06:56 AM
For Sale - Sold: Vivitar AT-22 automatic macro extension tubes for Pentax hzhao1964 Sold Items 6 12-16-2011 06:42 AM
Rant: Are automatic extension tubes really not made anymore? Capslock118 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 54 02-09-2011 08:16 PM
Question about using extension tubes for macro uchinakuri Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 06-09-2010 03:00 PM
FUlly automatic extension tubes for K200D hallenti Ask B&H Photo! 3 05-27-2010 11:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top