Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If modern photography is idiot-proof, then I'm worse than an idiot because I still take any number of clunker images. Just a couple days ago I had bumped exposure compensation without resetting it when putting the camera away. Luckily I blew out the highlights on only a few shots before I noticed. That's only the most recent screw-up.
You can set up Pentax cameras to be i more diot proof by FI make it reset EC to zero when turning off the camera. That plus setting ISO and WB to return to auto by power off might save alot of pictures.

05-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Some of my colleagues who teach entry-level photography students would tell you: No, far from it.
05-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I doubt that great art was ever made by an idiot... ..plenty of accidentally great snapshots? Probably.
05-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are on facebook, you would know that the answer is clearly: 'no.' First of all, the majority of people don't bother with an SLR at all, they are shooting with a camera phone, often in not so good lighting and the end results are definitely sub-optimal. Second, the bigger part of photography is the visualization. Seeing the light, the subject, the lines within an image in a way that will draw the viewer in and once again, that is something that doesn't come naturally to most people.

Facebook tend to reinforce mediocre photography habits and makes people think that they are better than they are -- people leave comments like "awesome shot" and "you are amazing with your camera." In the end, a little honest critique is what I need to develop (and I assume most others as well).

05-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are on facebook, you would know that the answer is clearly: 'no.' First of all, the majority of people don't bother with an SLR at all, they are shooting with a camera phone, often in not so good lighting and the end results are definitely sub-optimal. Second, the bigger part of photography is the visualization. Seeing the light, the subject, the lines within an image in a way that will draw the viewer in and once again, that is something that doesn't come naturally to most people.

Facebook tend to reinforce mediocre photography habits and makes people think that they are better than they are -- people leave comments like "awesome shot" and "you are amazing with your camera." In the end, a little honest critique is what I need to develop (and I assume most others as well).
Exactly.. and that extends to music as well.. some people on FB have rabid fans who worship everything they do regardless of how mundane it is.
05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Whatever advances have been made in having cameras pulling a useful image out of the darkness despite the worst efforts of it's operator have been compensated by idiots with photoshop...

You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
Pentaxian

@PPPP42 With all due respect, you should really read a book.
The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression: Bruce Barnbaum: 9781933952680: Amazon.com: Books

Nowadays or 200 years ago, it is not about the image you TAKE, but the one you MAKE. No matter if you you use digital equipment / techniques or not. Technology advancement can make it massive and "cheaper" but thats another topic I guess
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I would happily pay someone USD $100/hour if s/he can teach me composition in five minutes.

05-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Is modern photography fairly well idiot proofed
I wouldn't say that, I still have my moments.
05-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
*snip*I foresee a time in the near future when you can use a video camera to shoot high resolution video with the ability to later extract multiple high megapixel frames taken at several FPS to find that best frame. *snip*
The near future is here already. RED One cameras (and possibly other high end digital movie cameras) have been used in precisely this way to produce fashion pictures. Whether they are photographs or not is debatable but I doubt those producing and consuming the images care much.

My personal experience is that nobody except other photographers give a damn about how you made the picture unless it looks obviously manipulated.

I think Ctein from the Online Photographer puts it quite well: The Online Photographer: No One Cares How Hard You Worked
05-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got an unusually well-preserved Ricoh Diacord G off eBay a while back. I picked up a handheld light meter and some Kodak Ektar 100 and took it for a spin. It's an interesting contrast to modern digital cameras, because the Diacord is optically outstanding and produces superb photos as long as I do my part -- but the camera does nothing to assist me. I have to wind the film myself, take the meter reading myself, set the aperture myself, set the shutter speed myself, focus it myself, cock the shutter myself. Oh, and compose and snap the photo too! The results are often outstanding. I also flub shots because I forgot to wind it and double-exposed a frame. I flub shots because I forgot to focus. I flub shots because I didn't have the shutter cocked at that crucial moment. And then it's all on me. I can't blame the camera.

With my new K-01 it's sure a lot quicker-and-easier. There are advantages in being able to concentrate on composition -- something no camera can do for me -- instead of the whole mechanical sequence that's required merely to operate the Diacord. I can think about framing an image instead of working down the checklist. With the K-01 there are still flubbed shots, and I can blame the camera at least part of the time. Autofocus was too slow, or it focused on the wrong thing. Focus peaking is too imprecise. Sometimes high-contrast scenes cause it to wildly over-expose, I have no idea why.

However... The biggest difference between these cameras is the number of shots fired off. With the Diacord it's 12 shots per roll of film, and roughly $1.40 per shot for film and processing (assuming I don't get prints or high-res scans!), and then several days for pictures to come back from the lab. With the K-01 I can shoot 10 times as many photos, and what does it matter if some percentage of them don't come out perfect?

The ultimate idiot proof camera is one that lets you snap and snap and snap indiscriminately, and figure that you'll end up with a few "keepers" just by the law of averages. In the hands of a dummy, it's like a photographic assault weapon. I don't want to make it sound like that's all bad, though. With the K-01 I can experiment freely and take questionable shots without hesitation, see the results immediately, and maybe I learn something. If you put your mind to it, you can learn fast on a modern digital camera. The only real idiots are the ones who don't try to learn anything.
05-04-2013, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Make something "idiot-proof" and the world will build a better idiot.