Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New travel kit guilt

Ok, confession time.

I love my K-5. No quibbles, no qualifiers.

However, I am getting a little older and still like to travel to interesting places with a minimum of luggage. Since I made gold elite on my chosen airline years ago, I have traveled to 14 countries on 4 continents with camera in hand (or on my back) and never checked a bag. One rollaboard bag and a small, underseat-sized backpack with most of my camera gear has been the norm for up to a month away. All good, but my senior citizen back has been complaining over the last couple of years so I have made a change in my (air) travel kit, now centered around a Sony NEX 5R. When I drive, I still use my Pentax gear but when I fly, the new kit goes.

Only time will tell on how image quality will compare.

Attached is a comparison of my two kits. I guess just to make me feel better. Taken with a cheap pocket cam so no sniping the quality.

Last edited by abmj; 12-05-2014 at 01:25 PM.
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice kits.

Unless it's photo trips, I'd just bring a Panasonic LX7 + Fujifilm X100 for travel, one for good daylight, the other for everything else
05-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a K mount adapter for that NEX and some legacy Pentax glass.... May ease the guilt.
05-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Get a K mount adapter for that NEX and some legacy Pentax glass.... May ease the guilt.
Well, err, thanks but ...

I actually have plenty of Pentax lenses. They aren't all in the picture of my "light" travel kit.

More to the point, it seems that would rather defeat the purpose of going even lighter.

05-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

I've been very pleased with the images I'm getting out of my Panasonic G-series m43 cameras, even with inexpensive lenses. You should be better off with the larger sensor in the NEX 5R. Happy travels!
05-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My other suggestion was the Q, but I don't know how IQ compares to a NEX.