Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Steve--I meant to help the OP understand possible considerations that are not usually mentioned. Not get into a longer discussion on my methods.

But as regards 1. often the scene is dramatically lit--so there is a large variation in lighting as the actors/dancers move across stage. So in general no--the lighting changes frame to frame. And compared to the K20d I find it a consideration.

As regards 2. you are correct and thus I realize that may not be the situation--on my K20d the FL appears on a dark screen--so the light is not annoying to me or the audience. On the other hand the K30 hit me with a bright screen--so not sure what it was. Definitely not the case with K20d.

If not the FL (don't have it to check now) maybe after reviewing a histogram the next shot would again give me an image to view (as I believe I have to exit the viewing to have it not show it for the next shot--and exiting the viewing is another step).

Anyway coming from film SLRs, and recently to digital, and finding K30 considerations not mentioned, I thought I would mention them. Somewhat academic at this point.

05-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I made the move from film to digital last spring. I have a lot of lenses collected some 40 years of photography. I took the plunge into a K5. Quite a learning curve, but well worth it. I recently added K5 IIs and my first auto focus lens to the collection.. A DA 12mm - 24mm lens. I still haven't learned all the functions, but I am taking pretty good shots now. The only thing about these cameras is that the smaller sensor size as compared to a full frame camera. This means that your 50mm lens now becomes the equivalent of a 75mm lens.

I am heading out west for a few weeks next month and was going to await for the long rumored Pentax full frame DSLR but pulled the trigger on the K5 IIs. I am not disappointed with the results I am getting from my newest camera. The only thing that I have done to both camera is to add Katzeye focusing screens. These have a split screen and micro prism focusing aids.
05-10-2013, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided on the K-30 for several reasons

1) Going from film to digital, I know there is going to be a learning curve and at my age (68) I don't want to go through a long, slow process with all the bells and whistles of a high end camera. If I adapt quickly, I can always upgrade.

2) I got, what I consider, a heck of a deal on the K-30 kit at Hunt's photo. With a price of $499, I figured if I wanted to upgrade in the future, I could sell the K-30 and recoup much of my initial cost.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/223922-k30-499-hunts.html

3) For the type of shooting I do, it appears the K-30 will fit the bill. I typically don't take action shots, fast changing lighting conditions, or other more complex situations. I'm more into nature shooting -- macro, landscape, flowers, portraits, architecture, etc.

4) If I'm happy with the K-30, I wouldn't need to upgrade and I'd have saved myself a t least a couple hundred dollars.

I received my camera yesterday. Today I'm off to buy a sd card, charge the battery and begin shooting.
05-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I received my camera yesterday. Today I'm off to buy a sd card, charge the battery and begin shooting.
Awesome!
Also, I recommend you get a Sandisk card. They seem to be pretty reliable with Pentax cameras

05-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you should be happy with the K30 for now. I sitll think film is better, but this digital thing may catch on. Who knows. I'm only 62 so us young whippersnappers may take to it a bit faster. After all, I still have an Atari 2600 at home so I am used to this digital stuff. Biggest thing you have to learn is whatever the heck the term bokeh means. Sort of weird to worry about how good the out of focus area of the image looks.

I have to admit that after I came home and downloaded my first images and looked at them they pretty much sucked. It is way too easy to take pictures fast with these contraptions. I capture everything in DNG RAW. I still haven't purchased any image manipulation software other than what came with the camera. Still trying to decide if I want to go full blown Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4. For now the included Silkypix software gets me through.

One other thing I recently purchased is a laptop computer. It gives me an "on the road" platform to work with for storing images and doing some previewing. So I have the images in the camera and on my laptop and then I do another copy of them to a third plug in USB-3 hard drive. I also keep a copy on my desktop computer too. You cannot back up digital files enough. If I was a member of the tinfoil hat club I would use yet another USB-3 drive and keep it wrapped in aluminum foil against the occasional EMP event.

Last edited by gaweidert; 05-11-2013 at 12:52 PM.
05-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I capture everything in DNG RAW. I still haven't purchased any image manipulation software other than what came with the camera. Still trying to decide if I want to go full blown Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4.
Well, raw tends to look bland until you develop it. Its like undeveloped film, you have to do something with it. I suggest lightroom because it has a whole cataloging system and is really made for photography, while Photoshop is made for all sorts of digital image editing.
05-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Gaweidert, you should try Darktable or Rawtherapee or another of the free editors before buying anything.

On a semi-related note, the PDCU tgat comes with a K-5II doesn't suck as much as everyone seems to say.