Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

K5 package value?

Hey All,

So, I have a K5 and lenses listed in the marketplace for sale as a package... and I guess I must be asking too much, as it seems the value/demand on this gear has dropped considerably (I really haven't been keeping up to date, not much photography time these days)... therefore, I have only had a couple contacts interested in separate lenses...

...my question/s is: Am I foolish to think I could sell it all as a package? (I am hoping for someone new, wanting to get into Pentax),

AND if I do decide to break it all up and sell separately, will I likely be able to sell the less valuable lenses/gear that would make going through the process worth it?

I am asking for anyone's opinion, but especially the opinion of those of you who have bought and sold Pentax gear over the years and have a finger on the pulse of values.

I would like to make someone a good deal for all of it, but also don't want to give it away (the usual conundrum) in exchange for me not having to deal with a bunch of separate transactions... so, I would also entertain offers by those who might not need all the gear, but who have the time/$ to buy it for resell.

Thanks for taking a look at my listing and for any thoughts you have about what I should be asking for this package.

Here is a link to the listing: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/221679-sale-k...kage-deal.html

Cheers!

05-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that splitting it up into a number of listings with lower prices would get it to sell faster. To put things into perspective, $1800 is more than most of our users generally invest in all their camera gear

Price the items so that the combined total adds up to the same price, or perhaps a bit higher. I don't think you're asking too much for the gear, it's just that it's less likely that someone will want the entire package.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

k-5 is available NEW for $705 - 725.

3 batteries, 1 Pentax and 2 Wasabi Power and 2 chargers. Maybe $20
DA 2.8 40mm Limited $450 maybe?
prime M50 1.4 (w/ UV filter) $50
16-45 ED AL (w/Marumi Super DHG UV and CPL and hood/bag) $200?
Takumar (bayonet) f2.5 135 prime $35
Pentax M f3.5 28mm
$75
Super MC Macro Takumar f4 50mm
$100
Super Takumar f3.5 35mm screw-on mount with original case
$75
Kalimar 2x Tele-Converter w/extension tube
No value
Adapter ring for PK-M42 mount $30 if Pentax otherwise no value
Kenko 49mm UV filter no value
Some leather/vinyl lens bags no value
A Case Logic walk around camera case no value

Ok, so I stuck pricing on that I think is about in the ball park and I get $1,735. So IMHO you are not too far off, maybe a little high but not a lot. The problem is you are advertising this on a Pentax forum where most if not all of your target is already into Pentax. Finding 'someone new, wanting to get into Pentax' may be a little unlikely here. I have no doubt you could sell the gear at fair prices broken down, I just don't think you are going to find one person who wants the particular combination of stuff you have.

The only person I could see buying it as a package would be someone who would then break it down and resell it. I would do that, I have done it in the past but not unless there was enough profit in it to make my time worth while. My personal opinion is that to sell it as a lot you will need to drop the price a good bit. To get your price you will need to break it up and then deal with different buyers, shipments and likely having some stuff left over.

Just my opinion, worth what it cost.
05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would advise to sell the K5 in its standard Kit configuration- K5 1 battery/charger/original leads manual etc, 18-55 WR and DAL55-200. Sell everything else as separate items.
Reason- The lenses with the K5 make the camera ready to go for someone starting out and the lenses themselves are unlikely to go for much, especially the 55-200.
If someone wants the body the price will be low enough to grab that and re-sell the lenses if unwanted (the WR is always useful of course and the DAL55-200 is a nice light tele). If someone insisted on body only then split and sell the two lenses off as a pair.
Pricing is the tricky part which I will let others chime in at but a good starting point would to price under the KEH.com price for a similar condition item.

05-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think that selling it individually would move the items faster. Not many people have $1800 to drop...I wish I did!
05-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hey Thanks You Guys! I really appreciate the input... like I said I haven't had a lot of time to put into this, so it is great you all taking the time to help me think this through.

I would actually love to keep it all in hopes that one day I could afford the Full Frame Pentax that may come out, someday... but, that may be a while by the looks of things, SO...

...I guess I need to suck it up and and dive into the separate transactions... you guys make some really good points, so later, I will revamp my marketplace posting and go from there.

By the looks of your signatures, you guys have all you need, but if I have something of interest, please PM me and we can talk.

Thanks Again All!
05-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The only person I could see buying it as a package would be someone who would then break it down and resell it. I would do that, I have done it in the past but not unless there was enough profit in it to make my time worth while. My personal opinion is that to sell it as a lot you will need to drop the price a good bit. To get your price you will need to break it up and then deal with different buyers, shipments and likely having some stuff left over.
I see a 2nd type of buyer, a current Pentax user who might want some of the lenses *plus* a generous gift of a starter kit for someone else. My buyer plus your buyer still leaves the seller stuck with a tiny pool of potential customers. Your advice to break it up is solid.
05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people using the Marketplace will already have basic kit so they will be looking for individual items to add to what they already have rather than for a whole set of items. Breaking it up will sell faster, although it may take a while to move some of the items.

05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Most people using the Marketplace will already have basic kit so they will be looking for individual items to add to what they already have rather than for a whole set of items. Breaking it up will sell faster, although it may take a while to move some of the items.
You may try to sell by pieces with the condition that you will go thru only after 70% of the items are negotiated. That will be a possibility.

My 2 cents.