Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-X and a K-5, they each have their place in my arsenal. However, I find with the K-5 (with grip attached) and the heavier wieght, really helps me out when it comes time to hold it still, the lighter camera(K-X) picks up any slight movement from me and it is a pain to get to hold still compared to the K-5. The K-X is a great back up camera and with it's smaller size my wife and 11 year old daughter just love using it for their smaller hands and it's compactness, (plus it keeps their mitts off my K-5 lol)
We usually have both cameras when we are out and about, and each one has its purpose, I have had the K-x for three years and it is one fine little camera, I will most likely NEVER get rid of it.
So to the OP, I say just save up and get a K-5 for the WR, heavier duty build, Battery grip capabilities, top LCD, etc... Or if you cant to stay compact I would suggest you go with the K-30, I really wouldn't go as far back as the K-7, but I hear it is one fine camera as well.

05-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The K-7 I'm using suits me right down to the ground. I'm sort of dithering a bit now. I do think I am going to get a K-7 end of Summer for now and then keep adding to my kitty bank so that I can get a K5II with the 18-135mm lens kit early Spring. That kit is down several hundred too and the more I read about the K-II the more I think maybe I should go all the way and go that route Spring next year. It's running under $1200 a lot of places now. By then that kit will likely be just under a grand. I do need a WR body but it doesn't have to be that one just yet.

I think I want to go that route. I've been putting a lot of wear and tear on my K-x working with it. I truly love my K-x and I want to keep it for a long time. I'm going to burn it out in a year at this rate so I think I'd like to relegate it soon to 3rd cam/personal cam status. I eventually want the K-7 as second cam, and the K-5II as first cam, I think. I was thinking K-30 but with all the good reviews from people here and the price coming down a lot I'm thinking the K-5II early next Spring is a better buy for me. The capacities on that cam will last me a good long time, and I'll still have another decent WR camera in the K-7 for a backup.

I could go K-5 but with the K-x backing it up a bit the K-7 is good enough for me for now and I can pick one up now for just $300. My wallet really likes that idea. I really want to save the big bucks for my first string, semi-pro camera. The one I am likely to use far more often than not and I do want that 18-135mm lens. So that's the goal, a K-7 of my own by the end of the Summer, a K-5II and 18-135mm kit by say mid March. I know a lot of people would advise me spending the extra $250 and going with a K-5 but honestly I don't feel I need to if I am going to have a K5II eventually anyway. I can skip the K-5 for a K-7 and then get a K-5II and still be fine. I really need to see the kitty bank a lot fuller before I can go for a K-5II.

Work is better than it was but I'm still not making much over my bills and I just don't want to go there just yet. It may be two models behind but the K-7 is fully capable of doing what I want. To me it's not slow at all. It's WR and at $300 it's utterly practical for me to go there. With a K-7 I can get what I need for right now and not break the bank, save up more for the K-5II and the lens I really want. It's just common sense to go there, to not jump right on a K-5 just because it's newer than a K-7. That $250 difference is a lot of money for me right now and I don't know how the rest of the year is going to go finances-wise so I'd better reign in my enthusiasm a bit and buy what I can really afford for now. It's all too easy hanging out online to get caught up in a frenzy of camera/lens lust. I know that. I also know what my budget can actually afford, shrug.

I don't want to jump on one till August or so. I want to play with this one some more and make sure it really can do what I think it can. But I think just from using it to do what I have so far that this camera will suit me fine. The K-5II honestly is a lot more camera than I need given the work I do. I do like the idea of the new quick focusing though so I think I am going to go there. The K-5II looks pretty stellar, better than the K-5. I don't mind having a little less camera in a $300 camera, the K-7 but if I am really going to spend a lot more than that then I want to spend 1K, get the K5II, the 18-135mm with a warranty and all that. The K-5II/K-7 combo it would probably last me a good 5 years for work.

Someday when they're 4 years out of date and priced about the same as my K-x and the K-r's are now I just might pick up a used K-30 for kicks. Just because at that point I probably could but for now I think this plan just makes a bit more sense. I'm really trying to make this photography business fly but I do have to be reasonable too. Sometimes I do have to listen to my head and my wallet and not the part of me that seems to be prone towards major gear lust....

Last edited by magkelly; 05-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, Heie has his K-7 back and I'm back to saving up for a K5II/K5 and/or K30 combo I think. After a few months of playing with a K-7 I must admit I miss having it. The K-7 did have it's limitations, particularly when it came to shooting above 800, but I really miss those AF points and the AF assist light. The lack of that it's the K-x's one fatal flaw, IMHO. The K-x actually not having that just bugs me to no end now. :P I've decided my K-x is going to my niece when I finally do upgrade. It's just not working as well for me anymore with my eyes being iffy sometimes even with the split screen. I'll probably pick up a K-5/K-5II as soon as I can, then work on getting either another one or a K-30. Once I have both the K-x can go to her and that will be that. I've loved my K-x and it has served me as well but having the K-7 has definitely made me realize that the K-x is not the camera I need for work, for me in general. The K-7 was older but it was still a better camera for me in some ways than the K-x. I think the K5/K5II that's where I need to be going, with a K-30 or another K-5 for backup body...

Last edited by magkelly; 03-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.