Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

k5 vs k5II/s Lens Advice

So my tax return just came in and it's definitely time to upgrade my K7. Love the K7, feel, function etc, but noise and low light issues have started to irk me. This, I hope, will be the last camera body I buy for a while, had the K7 for around 4 years. So here's the questions:

1) Should I buy the tried and tested k5 body? Or should I go for the K5 II or IIs? Is the improved image quality of the IIs worth the moire risk, will it hold it's resale value as well as the k5/II? Will I notice the better IQ?

2) I'm looking at getting a new lens as well - time to splurge - the current lens that lives on my camera is my 50mm 1.4, but I find it too cropped at times. Looking at either the FA 31mm 1.8 or the DA* 16-50 2.8. Is it pointless getting the 31 if I already have a 50? Is the 16-50 worth it's money? The majority of my shots are of food, but want to start taking more landscape and just have a bit more freedom to point and shoot without having to run backwards due to cropping. If I got the 31mm, my kit would be the 50 and the 31 mostly. If I got the 16-50, I see myself never using the 50 prime..

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, so indecisive...

05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.F.AW Quote
So my tax return just came in and it's definitely time to upgrade my K7. Love the K7, feel, function etc, but noise and low light issues have started to irk me. This, I hope, will be the last camera body I buy for a while, had the K7 for around 4 years. So here's the questions:

1) Should I buy the tried and tested k5 body? Or should I go for the K5 II or IIs? Is the improved image quality of the IIs worth the moire risk, will it hold it's resale value as well as the k5/II? Will I notice the better IQ?

2) I'm looking at getting a new lens as well - time to splurge - the current lens that lives on my camera is my 50mm 1.4, but I find it too cropped at times. Looking at either the FA 31mm 1.8 or the DA* 16-50 2.8. Is it pointless getting the 31 if I already have a 50? Is the 16-50 worth it's money? The majority of my shots are of food, but want to start taking more landscape and just have a bit more freedom to point and shoot without having to run backwards due to cropping. If I got the 31mm, my kit would be the 50 and the 31 mostly. If I got the 16-50, I see myself never using the 50 prime..

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, so indecisive...
There are lots of threads discussing this, but my general recommendation is to upgrade to the K-5, if you can find one, and get some nice lenses.

The K-5 IIs is sharper with premium glass, but you will only see the benefit at wide apertures with sharp lenses. I don't personally recommend filterless cameras because of the increased risk of moire, even though it seems that manufacturers have started stripping the AA filters from their high-end cameras recently...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you food is your subject try considering https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-35mm-F2.8-Limited-Macro-Lens.html
05-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #4

Hey,
If you like the quality of primes then 31mm ltd may be for you. My copy of the DA 16-50 is great at around f/ 4-5.6 but at f/ 2.8 it is nowhere near the level of sharpness I get with my 31mm at 2-2.8. I have used my 16-50 with flash to shoot events and it proves to be a great walkaround/table shots focal length, whereas I found the 31mm focal length to be at times slightly restricting. Id be interested to see what the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 wields with regards to low light abilities.
Goodluck

05-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd spent the extra coin on the K-5 II in order to avoid the low-light AF issues of the K-5. The K-5 II AF has other advantages as well, e.g., an f/2.8 AF sensor in the centre for better accuracy, use of more than one AF area in continuous AF, and I guess speedier operation in general (not sure about the latter though).

I wouldn't get the K-5 IIs because it hasn't got enough MP for being able to omit the Bayer-AA filter. The latter is built into the vast majority of cameras for a very good reason (avoiding false colour).

Last edited by Class A; 05-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
'd spent the extra coin on the K-5 II
+1 on this, as for the K-5 IIs do you take the kind of images that maybe at the risk of moire, if not go for it.
05-07-2013, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
@DVaughan

Interesting comment re the new Sigma 18-35mm, might have to postpone a lens purchase until more info comes out about IQ etc. Too many choices.
05-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

As far as moire goes, last month I shot 3 weddings and one event with my K5iis, and did not once have an issue with moire. I didn't go out of my way to avoid it, either.

05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs is an excellent camera. It's currently selling at a very good price new at the moment. Worth it.
But then so are those FA Limiteds. All a matter of what cost-benefit analysis you personally put on this gear and whether is value for money.
Everyone's situation is different.
If putting the bonus towards any loans you may have means reducing your loan debt by a good amount, I'd consider that important too.