Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rookie Needs Help

For those in the US or those in any other country that have to fill out personal tax forms will understand; I just completed my US taxes and my brain hurts. I'm not thinking clearly right now and can't figure out some things and decided to ask so I don't mess something up on my K10D

I have two questions one on lens capability and one subjective on new vs older lens.

1. I just bought a new set of macro extension tubes and they work wonderful on my M 50mm 1.7. But when I use it on my newer DA lenses (kit 18-55, or 50-200) I can't see anything through the viewfinder except some very dark gray spots. Even placing an object under bright lights doesn't help. Do maco tubes work on lens without an aperture ring or not? Am I setting up something wrong or do the tubes only work with a manual aperture? Yes I'm using full M mode..

2. Subjective: I've noticed that used manual focus A 50mm 1.4 in mint condition vs a brand new FA 50mm 1.4 are only a few dollars difference ($150+ vs $195). Is the older manual lens really that much of a value or am I shopping with lens collectors. Prices on excellent older lens seem high compared to a brand new lens.? Any thoughts appreciated...

03-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) I would think your FA-J mount lens wants to have all the electronic couplings, I am not sure your extension tubes have these, so the lens stops all the way down when on the camera

2) the A 50mm F1.4 is a pretty good lens, but so are the F and FA 1.4 lenses. A lot of people like the old manual focus lenses, self included.
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On 2), following is a thread where I posed a similar question....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/21980-50mm-f1-4-lenses.html

I ended up going with an A 55mm F1.7, partly because the price was right, and partly to try my hand with an older lens!
03-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Appreciate your responses