Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the thing I like about pentax (I've never held a canon or nikon) is they are sound and good value for money, they are solid they have exelent specs for the price and are cheaper than the competition if you look around you there are mostly canon and also a lot of nikon adverts I never see adverts for pentax. I would think that means less money on adverts cheaper cameras for us if a camera is good it don't need advertising on every half page of the internet

03-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

The worst part is the fanboys, really. Short-sighted idiots, I nearly feel like proving the superior build quality by bashing them in the head with my K100D.

Seriously, people have no clue what so ever. Sigh. And i am almost certain the worst Canon fanatic (not even bought her XSi) I know is going to get stuck in auto mode, using it like a P&S.

(I have only used a D40 in addition to my own Pentax, and it did feel pretty good, though it wasn't nearly as solid.)
03-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Well I had the same experience handling my company's 5D last week. The ergonomics were very uncomfortable, and the plastic seemed very cheap feeling, and this is a$2000 camera. Nice HUGE viewfinder though.
Well, I must agree that holding a 5D is somewhat like holding a brick in my hands which is of course not very comfortable! :-)

But there is no major plastic parts elsewhere on the body, the top plastic is metal alloy, elsewhere are mostly covered by rubber, where are you actually referring to? Buttons and LCD cover are not made of metal, of course ;-)

As for the viewfinder, its large and bright but then dust are very easily getting into it and accumulate inside. Too bad! My K100D is surely better here.

So... what, then? The 5D has a faster and more accurate AF system. It has a extremely low noise sensor which retain many details and colors even at very high ISO speeds. It has a very accurate metering and exposure system. It tracks moving objects far better than any Pentax DSLRs/SLRs I have ever used. It has a Full Frame DoF control and 3d feel, the user can change WB, ISO, AF mode, metering, etc. with only one hand and very quickly and directly - even without leaving the eyes from the finder, the system time lag of 5D is significantly shorter than any Pentax DSLRs ever made .. and so on.

Pentax do have the heart to make better ergonomics and controls but their cameras are still falling short of many *basic* important things, which I do believe are (far) more important and should be considered at the first place by any users. Of course, these shortcomings should be improved in the first place by Pentax, too.

Of course, if we could get the best build quality, the best camera accuracy and performance, the best ergonomics all in a package, it will be a no-brainer. But if we have to sacrifice something, I am sure I will not sacrifice camera accuracy and performance which I must put it in the top priority in my consideration.
03-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The extra weight of the Pentax helps me to keep it steady (I have shaky hands). Light cameras always give me a hard time steadying them. So, for me the extra weight is welcome. It doesn't mean it has to feel the same for everybody. Different strokes for different strokes.

03-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
There's only one advantage I think Pentax has over the rest (OK, Canon ergo sucks on many levels, but still), and that's the little curve that your thumb rests in. Helps with a heavy lens more than anything else.
I noticed that too, the K10D and K100D has that little curve that my thumb rests and firmly hold the camera for heavy lens (my sigma 18-50mm). I also noticed that left side buttons is recessed so your nose does not get into the way while looking into the viewfinder (I use my right eye).

The only thing I feel uncomfortable in the K10D is the front dial, a little too low for my liking; I have to position my index finger lower to reach the dial, perhaps I am still not getting used to that front dial position.

As for built quality, I think the D40 and Rebel XT/XTi looks cheap, that is just me. Size wise, I don't have a big hand, I prefer the medium size, both K10D and K100D are in that category. The other one I like is the Nikon D80. I personally find the Canon Rebel models too light especially with the IS/USM lens, very comfortable and unbalanced. I tried the 40D and D200 in my hand, don't like the size and the bulkiness. That is just me.

I wish Pentax will also implement the LCD screen turn off automatically when you are looking through the viewfinder; perhaps, in the next model.
03-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
The worst part is the fanboys, really. Short-sighted idiots, I nearly feel like proving the superior build quality by bashing them in the head with my K100D.

Seriously, people have no clue what so ever. Sigh. And i am almost certain the worst Canon fanatic (not even bought her XSi) I know is going to get stuck in auto mode, using it like a P&S.

(I have only used a D40 in addition to my own Pentax, and it did feel pretty good, though it wasn't nearly as solid.)
Somehow I got the same feeling that my "Canon-shooter" friends shoot mainly in auto mode in almost every occasion and none of them even try to shoot in RAW yet.
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I wish Pentax will also implement the LCD screen turn off automatically when you are looking through the viewfinder; perhaps, in the next model.
well on my K10D its always off unless I make it come on
03-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I have used the following canon cameras in professional and nonprofessional situations:

350d
400d
20d
30d
40d
5d
1d
1dMK2
1ds

...the 350/400 are the bottom of the line! the 40d is a nice little rock to shoot with. i have seen a 1Ds body drop 5feet to brick while connected to a Custom bracket, 580ex2, quantum turbo pack, pocketwizard, and cables....easily a couple of pounds. It bounced...then rolled...then continued to work perfectly since.....

Canon seriously makes some badass cameras, guys. There is no way around it. If pentax doesnt consider that Canon actually does make a whole bunch of NICE cameras....well then Pentax will be underestimating the competition.
And if you dont respect the competition you wont find the stride you need to exceed the competition.
Please, pentax, hit the K1D series. Please Please.......

Pentax states [dont know where to pull the quote from, but I read this] that their cameras are aimed at the prosumer market. So, yes, it is reasonable that the prosumer digital K series pentax is aligned to compete with the canon 10 series (10d, 20d, 30d, etc) cameras.
The 350/400 are not prosumer level cameras (i dont think). Those cameras are entry level cameras designed at a mark below the prosumer market that the pentax digital K series competes in.
The comparison that the OP made is perfectly reasonable, dont you think?

...one thing i agree on is the weather sealing of the 5D. I wonder if canon underestimated how much of a smash hit that camera would be? There are rumors of a 5Dmk2 and a 7D...dont know the details but the new 5D is supposed to be weather sealed with the new digic3 processing engine.

All of that being said, I love shooting with my ist*D and both of my K10D's. I'll have the K20D later this year when everything is smoothed out...maybe I'll sell both the k10's and the ist and get two 20's......I want that CMOS BAAAAAD!!!!!