Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #1

Canon XTi Thoughts

I own a K100D Super. My cousin came by yesterday with his new Canon XTi for some tips and pointers because he has never owned a DSLR and didn't now a whole lot about how to use it. This was my first time holding the XTi. Let me tell you, the minute I picked it up, I thought it felt like a toy. It was just so and light the plastic felt real cheap. I did not realize Canon's entry level DSLR felt so flimsy. My Pentax felt like a tank compared to it. At what price point do Canons feel like something more than a toy?

03-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I had the same experience handling my company's 5D last week. The ergonomics were very uncomfortable, and the plastic seemed very cheap feeling, and this is a$2000 camera. Nice HUGE viewfinder though.
03-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friends wife has an EOS Rebel film SLR, and she asked me to take a look at it and let her know what she could sell it for. I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. It was so light, felt like it was just the shell of the camera, with no guts inside. My Ricoh KR-5 feels like a lead ingot compared to it, lol
03-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by synnyster Quote
At what price point do Canons feel like something more than a toy?
The next step up — the 40D and older relatives — is nice and solid. So, the price point is about $730 for a refurb 30D.

03-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I haven't held XTi = 400D, only it's older brother XT = 350D. And that on it's own was enough to make me decide not to buy Cannon. Yes, 30D and 40D would feel solid, but as enthusiast I simply can't justify so much money for hobby... I like Pentax's aproach to this. Even with their low end Ks you are getting solid camera. Maybe tad slower than Cannons but who cares...
03-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have also had the opportunity to hold the 300D, 350D and 400D in my hands and play with them for quite a bit. Complete waste of money, that's what they are.

And I know, because I was in a room full of tossers, and they all owned either 350 or 400Ds.
03-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I definetly prefered Pentax's ergonomics, although I'm getting used to the 40D fairly quickly. The Rebel's definetly feel like a toy (as does the Nikon D40), but my 40D is very solid feeling.

03-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just because it feels "light" and "cheap" , doesn't mean it is.

Some here seem to go for the big and heavy camera, I way prefer the small and light. My istDs is a great size, but a bit too heavy, and I don't believe that I have small hands.
03-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Just because it feels "light" and "cheap" , doesn't mean it is.
ya totally agree ... i mean, unless you've actually used it for some time and really dug into it, sorry, but it's not really a good review of the product :P but, comparing cars now to the way they used to be, lets be real, the cars these days are lighter and newer composites and they suck. so who knows really which is the best :P
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

if you have medium to large hands its definetly feels like a toy

however it takes nice pictures.

everythign else is cake.
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
ya totally agree ... i mean, unless you've actually used it for some time and really dug into it, sorry, but it's not really a good review of the product :P but, comparing cars now to the way they used to be, lets be real, the cars these days are lighter and newer composites and they suck. so who knows really which is the best :P
I agree that they are very light, and do feel like a toy, but I had a 350D for 2 years before switching over to the K10D about a year ago, and it took fabulous pictures. That being said all the pentax products that I have used certainly feel much more substantial and give me that warm fuzzy feeling of quality. On a side note, I wished I switched to Pentax much sooner.
03-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

let's all jump on the canon bashwagaon :P (j/k) ... i don't have large hands but i found the xti kinda weird to hold, didn't seem to fit well, maybe that's why they've changed up the grip on the new XSi... prefer my pentax for sure, but canon have probably sold many more digital rebels than entry level pentaxes so they must be doing something right
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
Inactive Account

On the topic of build quality and ergonomics, another thing I think pentax has done better than the rest of the competition is their battery grip. It fit's so snugly to the camera, it really almost becomes part of the camera. The Canon and Nikon solutions look like afterthoughts, boxy bricks bolted onto curvy cameras, they look stupid and the ergonomics are poor (at least I thought so with the 350D). Kudos to pentax for investing some time into the design of a good battery grip, it even stores some extra memory and the remote (which is a very easy thing to loose, but not when it's tucked niecly into the camera...)
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

the canons just feel like they're not up to the abuse i like to put cameras through.. light and small are nice, don't get me wrong, but when you sacrifice durability for it, i'm gonna back out.

also, bigben, have you seen the grips for the Sony cameras, yet?
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd take one of those light weight canon's in the field with me.
As long as they offered a free replacement if I broke it. That sounds fair doesn't it?

Although I'd want to bring along either my Sigma or my Pentax as a backup. Just in case it breaks while on assignment.