Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #1

Color Run shooting with a Pentax DSLR?

Hi,

has anyone already tried to shoot a Color Run event with a Pentax DSLR? Yesterday I came across this article that says that weather sealing is useless against the small color particles. The guy is talking about Nikon/Canon Pro lenses and bodies, and I'm wondering if Pentax gear like the K5 with a WR lens would handle this situation better.

05-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A WR lens? No. A DA*? Maybe, they are supposed to be dust proof as well as water resistant. But why risk several thousand dollars worth of equipment? Just get a waterproof Optio. A second hand WG-1 can be found for next to nothing.

From the Color Run faq.

QuoteQuote:
Are cameras and phones safe to have in the color zones?
Our race photographers are totally fine shooting from a medium distance (25-50 feet). If you want to get shots right in the midst of the color we recommend covering cameras/phones with plastic wrap.
05-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
WR includes DA* in this case, sorry for not being explicit enough. I'm pretty sure the WGs would handle this situation pretty well, I own a WG-2 GPS and I love it, it's pretty tough, but I was curious about the sealing quality of Pentax DSLR equipment vs others.
05-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fersingb Quote
Hi,

has anyone already tried to shoot a Color Run event with a Pentax DSLR? Yesterday I came across this article that says that weather sealing is useless against the small color particles. The guy is talking about Nikon/Canon Pro lenses and bodies, and I'm wondering if Pentax gear like the K5 with a WR lens would handle this situation better.
I have shot a couple. I used my 85mm and kept some distance and stayed up wind. Lots of really fine dust in the air. IF you do want to walk into the big crowds at the end when they are throwing colored powder, then get a sealed camera.

I have never had any problems, and you can get some great pictures.

05-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fersingb Quote
WR includes DA* in this case, sorry for not being explicit enough. I'm pretty sure the WGs would handle this situation pretty well, I own a WG-2 GPS and I love it, it's pretty tough, but I was curious about the sealing quality of Pentax DSLR equipment vs others.
I'm pretty sure the sealing on Canikon lenses is closer to WR than to AW. I know that they have to have filters attached to be considered sealed at all...
05-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd do it
05-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I'd do it
Heie, it's a bit unfair to the OP. You seem to have a gung-ho attitude to your equipment and, so far, have not had any problems. We admire how you have demonstrated to us how Pentax stands up to extreme abuse. While I still baby my equipment (well, in comparison to you), I am happy to know that whatever I do, worse has been done by others. In comparison to users of other equipment, I am quite cavalier.

If I were going to the colour run, I would cover my camera in shrink wrap as an added precaution.
05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/224410-how-r...out-water.html