Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

full sensor in the future?

this probably came up 1000x here, but im curious, can i ever except a full sensor camera from pentax? im using the k100d right now and am absolutely in love with it, and will probably get the k20d (one day lol) but if i ever get to the pro status, i'd love a full sensor like a mark or d300. i dont want to switch to nikon or canon, great cameras, but i feel so connected to my pentax in a weird way

03-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pete,
I don't think that you will ever see a full frame Pentax DSLR. They would need a complete new line of digital lenses. Burst shooting wouldn't be as fast, because of the bigger shutter and heavier mirror. The larger file size would slow incamera image handling etc. Any way technology will achieve the same results with the APS-C sensor anyway. Just give it time and not much at that.

Dave
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
this probably came up 1000x here, but im curious, can i ever except a full sensor camera from pentax?
At least 1000.

No one can know the future, but right now, Pentax is very clearly committed to their current form-factor. New lenses are designed for it, and full-frame ones are dropped from production. And, they've said pretty emphatically that this is the plan.

That said, in five years, the market may drive them to make an about-face. Anything's possible.
03-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Let's hope so. I don't think with Canon, Nikon and Sony all producing 24 x 36 frame dSLRs that Pentax can survive with the nothing-but-APS-C lineup forever.

Considering that current Pentax dSLRs are limited to 3fps and that Pentax had 5fps film SLRs in the past, I don't see enlarged mirrors or shutters being a limiting factor (the Nikon FF D3 goes at 9fps and the EOS 1DS Mk III goes at 5fps, so clearly mirror boxes and shutters aren't the limiting factor). More computing power needs to be built in to accommodate larger file sizes at higher shooting rates, but that's not a major obstacle.

Indeed Pentax will need a new line of full frame optics to compliment such a camera, but there are plenty of Pentaxians with a full bag of full frame lenses that can be used on such a camera right now, thanks to the excellent backward compatability of Pentax's K-mount.

Bottom line - I think it's only a matter of time (the less time the better).

03-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Don't mean to deviate from the original question too much, but as I understand it, the new DA* 200 & 300 are both carried over, FF designs. I was curious what other lenses are actually capable of covering the film frame? Makes me wonder if it was just easier for Pentax to recycle the formula, or if they wanted to be sure they were building a selection of lenses useable on a FF sensor at some point in the future.
03-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Don't mean to deviate from the original question too much, but as I understand it, the new DA* 200 & 300 are both carried over, FF designs. I was curious what other lenses are actually capable of covering the film frame? Makes me wonder if it was just easier for Pentax to recycle the formula, or if they wanted to be sure they were building a selection of lenses useable on a FF sensor at some point in the future.
From what I've read the DA40 also covers the full frame.

I keep hearing that Pentax is "shutting down production of FF lenses" but people have been saying this for at least two years and the FA Limited lenses are still readily available.

With the introduction of the Sony FF sensor with SR on a production camera later this year, I'm hoping for a FF Pentax by the end of 2009. And it better have a viewfinder as good as the MX. If Pentax was ambitious/crazy/quirky enough to continue production of their flagship MZ-S film body through 2005, I don't understand why a FF digital would be outside their thinking. Pentax is a pretty proud company, and rightfully so. I just don't see them ceding this space to their competitors. However, don't bet on a Pentax FF at a bargain price; it's just not going to happen.
03-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i think it's a little sad if they don't make a full frame camera. it's like a photographer who keeps doing a certain style of photography and when trends change or the field is nonexistant, he continues to do his old ways instead of conforming to changing trends, that's how a lot of photographers lose their jobs, they can't mange to keep up with current times. if every camera company made a full frame camera, and pentax was the only one who didn't you don't think entry level photographers would see that as a downfall? pentax needs to keep up with technology (i know their cameras are sick and up to date and all) but one day will hopefully make that extra umpf to go one step further
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/22510-interview-pentax...n-carlson.html

From this interview, basically, John said that Pentax always tried to capture the mid-section, where most pro/enthusiast will fall in. If the full frame segment will ever extend to a larger percentage, i think they would jump in. They are always a little behind in the game since they want the competitors to test out the water first (i.e. Sony and Olympus). Personally, I think they have to work on their AF system 1st (the major complain at the moment) before actually releasing an FF one.