Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New K30 and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 questions....

Now that I've used the two together shooting sports, I have to admit, and this is hard to admit.......my pics look better with my K100D and cheapo Tamron 75-300 lens. :/

Initially, when I took the new items out in the back yard for a few shots, the pics looked real nice, but using them to shoot moving stuff (like my daughter playing softball), my pics are not focusing as well as my older gear.

I was shooting in very good light, 200 ISO, shutter around 1200 (or something fairly fast), aperture was around 5.0, and it just seems the lens was not focusing like it should. I got a few good pics, but overall, my old stuff easily beat my pics from the new stuff.

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow (I'm at work and don't have access to my main computer, and, I'm really tired and need to get some sleep......freight pilot and I work weird hours).

I played around with the autofocus a little, trying the different focus points, but it didn't seem to help my shots. And granted, the stuff is new to me and for some of us where taking pics isn't something we do every day, there is a bit of a learning curve, but am a bit disappointed so far on how my pics look, especially with the amount of money I have wrapped up in it.

Not ready to throw the towel in, but right now am leaning on boxing the stuff back up and sending it back to Amazon and going back to my old stuff.

After a long day of flying in the crud, I'm really tired and need some sleep.

Anyway, if u have any thoughts on this subject, I'd love to hear them. One question I did have is that I noticed you can "synch the lens and body together," or something like that. Not really understanding that yet.

05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the tamron is known to have a "slightly" slower AF compared to other 70-200 competitors, however I would be surprised if it performs worse than the 75-300 in terms of AF. If I were you, I would try shooting some focus charts and check if there may be some kind back/front focus problem present.
05-10-2013, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought the Sigma 30mm 1.4 at Christmas, and it looked just awful. Clearly back focusing. I sent it in with my camera for calibration, and now it looks fantastic. Don't give up until you at least explore that angle!
05-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
klh
Site Supporter

I agree that you should first check focus calibration.

One other thought is that at f/5, you still have a narrow depth of field for a moving object. I would guess you were stopped down further with the 75-300. I use the 70-200 for soccer and usually try for f/8. That plus a little practice may solve the problem.

05-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like you are just more comfortable with your old tools than the new ones, which is natural. You probably went through a similar experience the first time you picked up your K100D. Take some time to get more familiar with your sophisticated new camera and lens. Even after more than a year of use I am still learning new things about my K-5.
05-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that you mention it, the K100 blew me away initially, as it was my first "good" camera. I really "want" to like my new setup, and after a decent nights sleep to recover from all the Michigan crud weather flying, I'm ready to "lean into it" again and get it back out and mess with it.

Will post pics later today. Thanks a lot for the advice and encouragement.
05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, still never seem to find the time to post pics. Feel like I'm just "a breeze" at my house sometimes. Have just enough time to grab a bite to eat and then I'm back out the door. :/

Anyway, I did take the K30 and Tamron over to my daughter's softball practice, and rather than shoot in "continuous focus," I decided to try the "put finger half way down on trigger, let it focus, and fire away" mode. This gave me a lot better pic than the continuous focus method. Maybe there's just too much "clutter" around her for the continuous focus to work correctly (such as the chain link fence that is always in the background).

Also, any partucular "focus point" you would recommended? Off the top of my head, there's the automatic, 11 point, 7 point, 5 point, and center focus points. Which one would you use?

Thanks again.
05-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

For action I'd set the camera to use the central focus point only and treat my subject as a target. That way, C.AF has a chance to get it right and you're putting your subject in the sharpest part of the frame.

Sometimes things move too fast for that to be reliable. If they do, put up with a low percentage of keepers or switch to manual focus (look up trap focus if you are not aware of the technique - it does involve you being able to read the game you're watching quite well). If using AF for this kind of thing, I would always use only the centre AF point.

Or you could always remortgage your house and get a Canon 1D-X, then realise you're still only getting a low percentage of keepers - you're just getting them at 14fps instead.

05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
the tamron is known to have a "slightly" slower AF compared to other 70-200 competitors
The Tamron 70-200's AF on a Nikon is 15-year-old-dog slow.
The Tamron 70-200's AF on a Pentax is easily twice as fast.
05-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The Tamron 70-200's AF on a Nikon is 15-year-old-dog slow.
The Tamron 70-200's AF on a Pentax is easily twice as fast.
I am not saying it is slow, but I am comparing it to other lens not other cameras. All else equal (meaning holding the camera body the same - say Canon 7D) you are likely to have other lens which will have faster AF than the Tamron.
05-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I am not saying it is slow, but I am comparing it to other lens not other cameras. All else equal (meaning holding the camera body the same - say Canon 7D) you are likely to have other lens which will have faster AF than the Tamron.
On the Canon, probably. I think Nikon uses a less powerful motor on their shaft drive to push people towards newer lenses. The 70-200 on a D7000 was really wretched.

I don't think there's any much-faster AF lens than the Tamron 70-200 on Pentax. It's not the 60-250. It could be the 70-200 Sigma, I don't recall how fast that focus-ed.
05-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't think there's any much-faster AF lens than the Tamron 70-200 on Pentax. It's not the 60-250. It could be the 70-200 Sigma, I don't recall how fast that focus-ed.
I agree. For Pentax it may actually be the fastest. I am somewhat dissapointed with the speed of my 50-135 SDM. The optics are phenomenal but the AF speed leaves something to be desired...