Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Rookie Questions

I will be attending the Indy 500 this May for my fourth time. This year will be my first with a recently purchased ist DL and I'm looking for any advice about improving my chances of taking some decent photos. I will be bringing the 18-55 mm lens and a Sigma UC zoom 70 -210 mm as well.

I'm hoping that would be a good start but I may be willing to buy another lens for the trip if I thought it would be heipfull.

Any advice, in general, would be great.

Thanks
tex

03-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If I was you I'd start by doing some research into where you'll be sitting or standing.

If you can get close to the track you might consider getting a faster prime lens (fixed focal length) or something like a Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 zoom.

If you'll be sitting in the nose bleed section you might consider a 70 - 300 mm zoom, along with a decent monopod.

And take the time to learn how to pan. (follow the cars with the camera) You can do this at any street corner, so if there's a coffee shop or someplace you like to visit on a busy street bring your camera and have fun.
03-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With the DL, set the format to RAW. Your pictures will be much sharper & far more crisp. JPGs are great for immediate viewing on a laptop or sup'm and take up less space, but the internal image processing to .jpg format could use some improvement.

As mentioned, the RAW format takes up more space on your SD card, so consider an extra and, as always, a couple spare sets of batteries. I know it seems like an insult to be reminded, but dammit I hate it when people have to borrow batteries.
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To little laker's good advice, I'd add these suggestions:

Once you've found out where you're sitting, figure out where the sun will be (if it's out) during the time period you'll be shooting. Figure out when you'll have a potential for frontal, side, and/or backlighting; this will help you work out metering strategies, auto-focus vs. pre-focusing options, and shadow/highlight problems.

Shoot with the highest shutter speed you can consistent with good apertures/sharpness/DOF; remember that the cars won't be the only thing moving and shaking! Your own excitement, that of your seatmates, and even the vibration in the stands can add vibrations to the mix. Without SR, but even with a monopod, you'll want high shutter speeds to help keep your shots sharp. Oh, yeah; if you're a coffee drinker, skip it for the day, too!

03-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time , I apreaciate the advice.