Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Xgear

K10D Pentax remote assistant

Anyone know when K10D Pentax remote assistant is to be released and why it was not shipped with camera?
Is Pentax slow with providing accessories and support for K10D? I was told I would have capabilities to control camera from PC like old *ist D.
How about raw support for Photoshop is that provided with help from Pentax or just developed by adobe?
Are we waiting for Pentax or adobe here?

01-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

dont know about photo assitant...

as for the photoshop support..thats adobe..probably will come out on cs3...
they did just release acr 3.6 end of oct...
01-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The latest word is that Remote Assistant is being modified to support the K10D and should be released any week now. I really, really want the Remote Assistant software, but no way would I have advised Pentax to delay release of the camera just because an accessory software package, which most people don't care about, wasn't ready for the masses yet. That's just smart marketing sense. It's coming.

On Photoshop, as Jon said, that is an Adobe thing. In the past, they have been very responsive in adding new camera RAW formats. I wouldn't doubt that it is already in the latest version of ACR, but the release is being delayed to add a few more cameras first, such as, maybe, the D40?
01-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Xgear

That sounds reasonable. When I think about it, I received my K10D on December 11. I need to calm down too impatient like with my lens purchases.
Well maybe just eager.

01-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #5

I hear the best thing to do to calm down from an unjustified Remote Assistant need is to go buy another lens. Do you have the 10-17 yet? Or could I sugest something else?

I am not sure why they would want to market a D40. To me it just conjures up a means of displacing some water.
01-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Any idea whether the new Remote Assistant would be compatible with the K100D? Not that I really need it, but it would be pretty nifty
01-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by balofagus:
Any idea whether the new Remote Assistant would be compatible with the K100D? Not that I really need it, but it would be pretty nifty
I'm taking a wild guess here, and I have no inside information at all. Based on recent past models and company policies and actions, I very much doubt that the new release of Remote Assistant will support (directly) the K100D.

The original Remote Assistant was designed to function with the *istD, but many have discovered that it would work in a limited capacity with the subsequent *ist line of bodies. That version of Remote Assistant was never supported by Pentax for use with the DS/DS2/DL/DL2 bodies. Users were on their own.

I expect the same with the new Remote Assistant, The K10D can be considered a 'replacement' for the *istD, at the top of the digital model lineup. The *istDS was introduced a year or so later than the *istD and is clearly targeted at a different demographics. A step down, if you will, from the D. The DS2 is basically the same as the DS, except for the larger screen. The DL and DL2 is yet again a step down (pentamirror, smaller buffer, etc.).

The K100D could be considered a replacement for the DS and other non-D bodies, and the K10D a replacement for the original D. Maybe even the current version of the Remote Assistant will work with the K100D today, albeit with limited functionality. Has anyone tried it yet?
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #8

I am not gonna hold my breathe in anticipation for the new Remote Assistant, but I am waiting for it and hope to see it soon. I am in a position where I would rather wait and get a stable, all features actually working model, rather than a rushed out the door version. I do not normally shoot in what could be an advantage to shoot teathered, however I did have one little project in mind that I thought would be at the very least an experiment for me.

Based only on their MO I'd have to second volosong's response.

01-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Remote Assitant connects by USB?

What is the conjecture that the RA will work with USB 1 (old laptop) and the K10d?

Thanks,
RON C
02-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Can't save JPEG with K100D and Remote Assistant

I have a K100D and have occasional need of Remote Assistant. Most functions work, but I can only save RAW PEFs. This is OK, I use RAW format most of the time. I spent a few hours taking photos of birds and set the camera to "Best". When I tried to change R.A. to any other format, it flipped back to RAW as soon as the shutter clicked. When done I found nothing would convert the PEFs to JPEG. Pentax Browser could view the images, but when saved to JPEG I got garbage. Pentax Laboratory produced the same garbage. I had to resort to Print Screens to save the day.

If the camera is set to Raw then R.A. works fine. I don't know if my wife will allow me to test her ist-D which R.A. was designed for, it may not have the bug.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions. Since RAW mode works I can live with the bug.

Leo Taylor
02-20-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
wll
Veteran Member

To Some, Tethering is a Much Needed Feature !

When shooting table top stuff, I could really use tethering. It is the first question I will ask the Pentax folks at PMA.

Yah, I will ask about their new lenses, the new DSLR (K1D) and the 645D, but tethering is somethig I could have used a couple of months ago, and it is something that would make my life easier in about 2-3 months when I start getting ready for my 2008 catalog.

Pentax NEEDS to get up and moving on advanced amature and simi pro stuff as many of us really use our equipment for business. Yes, we like Pentax and yes, I have 3 DS bodies, 2 K10D bodies and many lenses, but Pentax needs to have some of the features serious "Shooters" need.

Sorry for the rant, but even I get sometimes disappointed with Pentax :-)

wll
02-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xgear Quote
How about raw support for Photoshop is that provided with help from Pentax or just developed by adobe?
Are we waiting for Pentax or adobe here?
K10 PEF support in Adobe came out on the 19th of February, ACR 3.7.
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Sorry to bring back a old thread

Just wondering if there is any new word on the Remote Assistant for the 10D

Thanks
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by vladig Quote
Just wondering if there is any new word on the Remote Assistant for the 10D

Thanks
Thanks vladig, I was wondering the same thing Friday, didn't have the time to post and promptly forgot about it again till seeing this. I can't see myself using it much but I would like to play with it on a couple ideas I had.