Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Before I, go running off to the airport, I knew that there was one other item I wanted to post. Adobe is in the process of changing their business model so that you need to subscribe (read pay a monthly extortion fee), as opposed to buying it. As much as I hate Adobe, as Vagrant posted, go find a copy of Lightroom 4 that you can buy, load it on your system (and get a distribution CD if you can find one). This will be the last version you can find and not pay the monthly fee. Lightroom 4 is going away for Lightroom 5 that has the monthly fee. So you must hurry before they stop selling it. That said there are other software utilities that do the same thing - also with out the monthly fee.

I use Corel's Paintshop Pro and Aftershot Pro...

06-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Before I, go running off to the airport, I knew that there was one other item I wanted to post. Adobe is in the process of changing their business model so that you need to subscribe (read pay a monthly extortion fee), as opposed to buying it. As much as I hate Adobe, as Vagrant posted, go find a copy of Lightroom 4 that you can buy, load it on your system (and get a distribution CD if you can find one). This will be the last version you can find and not pay the monthly fee. Lightroom 4 is going away for Lightroom 5 that has the monthly fee. So you must hurry before they stop selling it. That said there are other software utilities that do the same thing - also with out the monthly fee.

People really should stop making up things when it comes to Adobe Creative Cloud.

blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Lightroom 5 will be part of CC at no extra charge BUT you can buy it as standalone product as well.
So you can buy LR5 boxed at the stores if you want.

You can not even pay a monthly fee for LR5, there is no option for that. So you either need to buy it or get it "free" with the CC package.
06-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
Every time I visit this thread I am humbled at the responses! Thank you all so so much!!
I did not get to shoot the event. A photographer from a large newspaper came and I was needed elsewhere at the event so that's how it went.
I did learn a lot from him, and made a very good contact for in person help, so that is a major plus.
I have CC- and am getting Lightroom. It's a really something I just have not gotten to. I got CC to see what I could/would use most.
I'll tell you though- at this point- I just feel like i can't get a good shot for anything. I know that it is the "chart" phenomena happening but heavens!!
Photography is a competition of one!! Anyway- more to review--- next event is Friday, and then one 2 weeks after that. Then a break until fall. I'm goin to use the next two for practice and hope.hope. Practice practice.
06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
If it is the same kind of fishing derby where you will be shooting from the audience, I'd suggest the 70-200, even though it will be much heavier. Punch up the ISO so you will have a decent shutter speed of at least 1/500, use the zoom to get in fairly tight and fill the frame. Check the first few for exposure and adjust the exposure compensation as necessary then go for it.
This is what I've been missing!
Thank you!!!
In my practice shots- I just glazed over it doing everything else!!

06-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Well it takes time to learn the camera and you arent shooting in the best situations by what i hear.
It took me half a year before i could get a decent snapshot XD
06-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was a silent read of this thread. A lot of good advises already here. You still need a lot of practice to get known the k5, AF, measurement and lenses.
A bit systematical order may help shorten down, don't forget the other advices.

- Go through menus of K5 and adjust to adapt your shooting modes. Wheels for M mode. For Av mode (or other mode), use exp compensation (ev+/-) in one of the wheels. Set AF/AE lock on half press to allow reframe/compose. Measurement mode. AF-C or AF-S, I use AF-S only, but pulse the finger as needed.
- Pre-adjust the settings for the modes you are using.
- Go through each of your lenses, check AF speed and accuracy. AF Micro adjust if needed.
- If you have to use flash, test it out and stick with these settings. Flash is more complicated. Try to use high iso instead.
- Spend a second to allow AF to work and reframe/compose.
- Also note the quality of lenses for group shots. Faces might be too small, too blurred, when blowing up in size.

The K5 is a good body, but none is perfect, specially the light meter, so here come you in.

Good luck

Last edited by hoanpham; 06-11-2013 at 01:24 AM.
06-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
People really should stop making up things when it comes to Adobe Creative Cloud.

Lightroom 5 will be part of CC at no extra charge BUT you can buy it as standalone product as well.

You can not even pay a monthly fee for LR5, there is no option for that. So you either need to buy it or get it "free" with the CC package.
Just wanted to note I read this CC only thing on Yvonne bourque s site today. Not that it's true but it's out there.
06-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #53
Veteran Member

My 2c, for events is shoot for safety.
First thing I do is shoot my colour to judge white balance.
Shoot RAW, have histogram on, adjust exposure +/- accordingly so there is no over exposure.
If its somewhere where you can't control the lighting use flash and a little bit of ISO. Shoot multiples like an assassin just in case another flash goes off.
I usually manual focus especially if it is darker and use an aperture small enough so there is a deep enough DOF and I am shooting in my lenses sweet spot.
So it may not be pretty on the screen but as long as exposure and focus are right then I'm good.

06-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

Or use darktabkle and GIMP and don't pay to buy or to use them ...
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by haycyn Quote
Just wanted to note I read this CC only thing on Yvonne bourque s site today. Not that it's true but it's out there.
LR5 is out now, you can go to adobe and buy the full standalone version or upgrade.
You can also get it from amazon.
Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - Win [Download]: Software

So it's clearly not CC only, their are actually no CC option for just lightroom 5 as far as i can see.
So even if you want to you can not pay monthly for just lightroom.