Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'm too old to throw caution to the wind.

03-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Tom

Re your tinkering tendencies:

You just wait till those malevolent Pentax Programming Pixies get their grubby little hands on you for messing with their classified oriental binary files......it'll be the high-jump for you, laddie ! On the other hand, just think of all the endless hours of mischievous fun to be had ? I say let's all throw caution to the wind and live dangerously from now on......lol !

Best regards
Richard
"malevolent Pentax Programming Pixies"
03-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #33

As far as the debug mode goes, perhaps it would be possible to compare the lines of code between the 1.1 and 1.3 and modify it?

Not a software engineer by any means...just a lowly university student :P
03-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that firmware .bin file has checksum. Otherwise it would have to have another file that goes with it (probably text file) that has the correct checksum. Without it, there is nothing to compare to.

So I am guessing that text changes like "Pentax Corp" to "My Fancy K10D" could be done. Other changes like enabling additional menu options might not be that easy. It would take some experimenting in getting the right values in the firmware file. But who wants to risk bricking their K10D?

03-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Easy hack...

$ exiftool mgp1364.jpg |grep Make
Make : PENTAX Corporation

$ strings fwdc162b.bin |grep 'PENTAX Corporation'
Copyright (C) PENTAX Corporation
oPENTAX Corporation
0300PENTAX Corporation
Copyright (C) PENTAX Corporation

Change that -- the second or third instance, probably, but also probably easy to find with a text editor -- and there you go, probably. (Maybe some simple checksum to match, too?)
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm tempted to change mine to replace "New York" with "Boston".
03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the interesting info guys. I guess I will leave it. Not too savvy, and I dont want to screw anyhitng up!

03-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that firmware .bin file has checksum.
I typically imbed the checksum into the file to prevent 'counter measures' Needless to say, this is all very interesting, if not altogether improper.
03-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #39

Well, all this is very interesting but no one has asked what effect hacking the firmware will have on warranty issues.

I guess if you do change it and something goes wrong and the original V1.30 can't be reloaded, there would be a charge from Pentax agents to fix it.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having my name as the owner as has been mentioned previously, the extra ISO would be cool too. In the interim, I will wait and see if anyone hacks this successfully AND tests all functions to make sure there are no hidden goolies!
03-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

With regards to the name change, I think the OP proved it doesn't 'brick your K10D'.. lol

My experience with hacking firmware has never been with a camera but, the last item I hacked-up was an MP3 player. Changed all the menu terms to 'my terms' - even changed the splash screen to 'my image' - and also changed plenty of the confirmation screens from things like, 'are you sure?' to 'OMG REALLY?'

At this point, my only interest is flipping the switches on additional features but, I don't have that knowledge so, unless one of you folks can figure it out, I'm beyond my experience.