Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Touched a K200D

My daughter is about to replace her dead DL and having saved the $$$ she was pretty keen on a new K200D....until she contacted the store and they said, that despite advertising them on their website, that they didn't have any in captivity.

She has now come across a K10D and sought my opinion.

So, I went into a camera store this morning and had a little play with a K10D and a K200D. I deliberatley did not touch the K20D, lest I couldn't put it down again!!

So my impressions of the K200D are that it is a very impressive and sophisticated 'entry level' camera, and I think the term "entry level" is about to get re-defined.

But the K10D is even more impressive and I have suggested she get one (K10) if she can, she is a talented photographer and wants to do more, so she will quickly get the best out of the K10.

I also had a look at other makes on display, being quite prepared to reccommend something else if it became obvious. Nothing did.
Weather sealing is important to her as she takes it into places where angels fear to tread (snowboarder.....oohhh, I hear you all saying)

Her final decision will be interesting.

03-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All anyone can offer is their opinion, and here is mine...

Go for the K10D.

Better viewfinder
Better controls (the modes available are exceptional.)
Front and back e-dials. Much better the just the back e-dial (my other camera is the K100d)

I don't think the K200D has anything the K10D doesn't. If it does I expect to find out after the next post

Did I mention the lvl of control the K10D offers? I'm still impressed with it. Hyper mode. just the best invention ever.

Eric.
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently bought the K10D after using the K100D for a little more than a year. I am very happy with purchase. I find that the k10D is a lot more camera than my K100D which is already an excellent entry level DSLR by its own merit. My daughter is now happy to use my pass down K100D in place of her P&S camera. She is learning fast and having fun with shots using slow shutter speed and SR feature.

It is interesting to compare that my K10D costs about the same as my K100D when I first bought it in late 2006. This keeps me wondering if the K10D were still available today in the store, would people given the choice, buy the Canon XTi which costs more instead of K10D? I know my answer after comparing the two.
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #4

If she's serious about photography, but still learning the ropes, I think she'd be happier with the K10D simply because it dispenses with "Scene Modes" and includes two dials for easier use in manual mode. The weather sealing is a big plus, as is the rechargable, LI battery.

I'd also hunt down an old MX or a K1000. Both are ideal for beginners, since the all-manual style forces you to become a competent photographer without relying on such cruches as autofocus and autoexposure. They're also ideal as back-up bodies (particularly the MX) since they're relatively small, and can still operate once the battery dies (which is a big plus in cold weather). And if you can succesfully estimate correct exposure with the snow glaring back at you, you're on your way to becoming a pro.

03-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Peter,
You would only want to call her a beginner from a great distance and a few obstacles (eg:10 foot high barbed wire fence....electrified ) between you & her.

She will shoot mostly in manual, and is not adverse to manual focus either. She has never had any formal training but her grandfather was a pro all of his working life, so she has picked up just enough to know what's bad and what she wants.

I think the K10D will be good for her, the K20 being out of her budget....but its her money and her call.
03-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #6

In that case definately go for the K10D. The K100 and K200 are very much beginners' cameras (Oh, I just went and upset all the experienced K100D owners!). I honestly can't imagine shooting in manual all the time with a single-dial camera such as the K200D, the Nikon D60 or the Canon XTI.
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...hmmm...well, its like this.

She has bought a Nikon D60 with a twin VR lens kit.

The store owner where she is in NZ is a Nikon fan and offered her a good deal, and support, so another one slips away to the dark side.

At least that means I get my Schneider 50-200 back....and all my other lens' are now safe from the "oh dad, can I just borrow that...." factor, so it has its upside.

I realise this inability to keep ones own family in check is a punishable offence, so I plead for mercy and understanding from fellow forum members. (gulp)

Cheers

03-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Vesuwalla Quote
And if you can succesfully estimate correct exposure with the snow glaring back at you, you're on your way to becoming a pro.
You mean on a clear, sunny day? With ISO 100 film that would be 1/125s, f/16.
03-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

I don't think the K200D has anything the K10D doesn't. If it does I expect to find out after the next post

Eric.
It does: much better ISO 1600!
03-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
...hmmm...well, its like this.

She has bought a Nikon D60 with a twin VR lens kit.
Well, console yourself with the fact that she probably got fairly good value for her money, and surprisingly accurate metering in mixed light for a budget camera.

Or, if you're really that heartbroken, you can keep referring to the D60 as "an excellent camera - for a beginner" until she returns it and buys a Pentax K20D (or at least a Nikon D80).
03-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

In that case definately go for the K10D. The K100 and K200 are very much beginners' cameras (Oh, I just went and upset all the experienced K100D owners!). I honestly can't imagine shooting in manual all the time with a single-dial camera such as the K200D, the Nikon D60 or the Canon XTI.
The K200D does just fine in manual - real dial controls Tv, except when you push the +/- button then it controls Av.

And btw, there does not appear to be much if any VPN, and iso 1600 is looking very good.
03-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, console yourself with the fact that she probably got fairly good value for her money, and surprisingly accurate metering in mixed light for a budget camera.

Or, if you're really that heartbroken, you can keep referring to the D60 as "an excellent camera - for a beginner" until she returns it and buys a Pentax K20D (or at least a Nikon D80).
LOL.
She has bought well.
I don't know a lot about the D60, but some quick research did not turn up anything bad...and Nikon is where I would go should I ever change.
03-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #13

In all seriousness, the only major drawback of the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 is that it will only autofocus with DX lenses, which tend to be several times the price of their closest, non-DX counterparts. I remember having one customer who had purchased a D40 because he didn't want to shell out for a D80. When he decided he wanted a 75-300 lens, he ended up paying more than he would have if he had purchased the D80 in the first place and gone with the cheaper lens.

It's not a problem if you're not buying any extra lenses - or if you don't mind sacrificing autofocus to save money.

Apart from that, however, most criticisms of the cheaper Nikon cameras simply boil down to them not being as "nice" as some more expensive cameras, but I prefer to judge each camera on its own merits, and don't really regard that as a drawback.
03-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In all seriousness, the only major drawback of the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 is that it will only autofocus with DX lenses, which tend to be several times the price of their closest, non-DX counterparts. I remember having one customer who had purchased a D40 because he didn't want to shell out for a D80. When he decided he wanted a 75-300 lens, he ended up paying more than he would have if he had purchased the D80 in the first place and gone with the cheaper lens.

It's not a problem if you're not buying any extra lenses - or if you don't mind sacrificing autofocus to save money.

Apart from that, however, most criticisms of the cheaper Nikon cameras simply boil down to them not being as "nice" as some more expensive cameras, but I prefer to judge each camera on its own merits, and don't really regard that as a drawback.
Maybe a good thing for Kylie anyway Peter, make her save . She has the D60 in her hands now and is naturally thrilled with her purchase. So hopefully it all goes well for her as she has a shoot this weekend that if it works for her, could pay as well.
03-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
The store owner where she is in NZ is a Nikon fan and offered her a good deal, and support, so another one slips away to the dark side.
Then she probably got a good deal. Getting Pentax stuff over here is like getting blood from a stone. I pick all my gear up overseas while travelling.

As much as I love my camera, and Pentax, I don't think I could really recommend it as a system to someone who is resident in NZ.