Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Finally something I dislike about K20D

The Inability to disable long exposure noise reduction!
This is where the camera makes you wait for a time interval equivalent to the exposure you just took.
I grant that it's generally a good thing, but sometimes I definately don't want it.
Example one of my favourite things: fireworks! When the action gets hot - you must wait after every shot.

Looks like the k10d will get the call July 1 evening.

Begs the question: Why remove that ability to disable it in an enthusiast camera?
--
dbh

OK, it's not perfect but might help those shooting fireworks, lightning, meteor showers or for whatever reason want back-to-back long exposures without the Slow Speed Shutter NR kicking in: Don't use B, use M and select continuous drive mode and 8s to 10s or longer exposures. Then hold the shutter open and you'll get shot after shot without the wait.

Maybe I'll stop posting now...
--
dbh - still wanting the option to disable it however

Last edited by dbh; 03-10-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Thought some more...
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm, yeah, that's strange.
03-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can see this being very annoying for gig photos as sometimes I use shutterseeds of 1-2 seconds adn this could mean waiting another 1-2 seconds and then waiting for it too write to the card? If so I'll delay getting a K20D
03-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Let's hope it's just something they overlooked and will be available in firmware update.

03-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I never once switched it off on my K10D, and I never was in a hurry when it kicked in. So I'm sure it won't make a difference to me. Put it is strange that they left it out... I cannot think of any reason...

Wim
03-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Its very valuable to turn this off for fireworks, especially at shows, where there will be a lot of action and your shutter speeds might be 4-5 seconds.
03-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Its very valuable to turn this off for fireworks, especially at shows, where there will be a lot of action and your shutter speeds might be 4-5 seconds.
Perhaps Pentax want us to buy two bodies (for alternate shooting) if we want to be efficient at fireworks photography?

Wim
03-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good way to hide things

Amp noise, hot spots, noise ect. Maybe there is something they don't want you to see.
Maybe not. Will find out if this is changed in a firmware update.......

03-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

take both cams
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter

This is a huge bother for me, too. I'm hoping that a firmware update will address this, sooner rather than later... I'll be at Disney World in about six weeks with my K20D, tripod, and remote shutter release, and having to wait after each long exposure in bulb mode while the camera does NR will make me pretty frustrated. Shooting fireworks shows really is much easier when the camera is ready to go instantly after each photo is taken.

I'll have my K100D as well but that's quickly become my wife's camera , and I'd rather use the K20D! The K100D can be hung up emptying the buffer if you take too many shots in quick succession, so it's not perfect either, but at least long NR is off on it.

C'mon Pentax! Firmware fix please!

Note for those who have haven't played with a K20D yet - the option does exist in the Custom menu, but you can only choose "On" (does a NR shot after every photo taken) or "Auto" does it on longer exposures - 1+ second I think.)
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I called Pentax USA Customer Support about this. Their initial response of the CS person was along the lines of "you have to be kidding" She is escalating the issue up the chain of command, said I will get an official response via email. This one is close to being a deal breaker for me but I still have my K10D.
03-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
The Inability to disable long exposure noise reduction!
Are you referring to the "Slow Shutter Speed NR" option, #17 in the custom menus? I thought perhaps you had missed that, but I just checked, and if this is what you're thinking of, you're right: you can't actually turn it OFF. The options are (1) Auto and (2) On.

The menu item's help text for ON explains that "slow shutter speed" means slower than 0.3 sec. For AUTO, the help text explains that noise reduction will be enabled "according to the situation." If the the situation that automatically triggers noise reduction is, um, a shutter speed slower than 0.3 seconds, then this is a distinction without a difference.

Will
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Are you referring to the "Slow Shutter Speed NR" option, #17 in the custom menus? I thought perhaps you had missed that, but I just checked, and if this is what you're thinking of, you're right: you can't actually turn it OFF. The options are (1) Auto and (2) On.

The menu item's help text for ON explains that "slow shutter speed" means slower than 0.3 sec. For AUTO, the help text explains that noise reduction will be enabled "according to the situation." If the the situation that automatically triggers noise reduction is, um, a shutter speed slower than 0.3 seconds, then this is a distinction without a difference.

Will
Yep. Exactly.

My take on the "Auto" option is "According to our undisclosed set of rules, maybe even shorter than that. But never OFF!"

Needs a 3rd option "OFF" for those of us who sometimes like more control.
--
dbh - looks like I'm not alone on this one
03-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

This is a bummer. Like available light shots. Guess the K10D and DS have a use after all.
Another thing I don't like is the on/off switch controlling either liveview or optical depth of field preview. Have to go diving in menu to change. Should never be asked to give up optical dof preview for another feature. Especially not for another highly useful feature like liveview. They could turn the raw button into liveview. Wouldn't miss that at all.
thanks
barondla
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This is a bummer. Like available light shots. Guess the K10D and DS have a use after all.
Another thing I don't like is the on/off switch controlling either liveview or optical depth of field preview. Have to go diving in menu to change. Should never be asked to give up optical dof preview for another feature. Especially not for another highly useful feature like liveview. They could turn the raw button into liveview. Wouldn't miss that at all.
thanks
barondla
But you can preview the DOF with Live View, can't you?