Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Travel: When Recommend JPEGs, not RAW?

Hey everyone-

We're leaving later this week for Italy. While I of course want to take many images, I don't want impact the site seeing or slow the group down, and am afraid if I take only RAW I won't have as much time as I'd like when we return for adequate PP.

Have any of you just decided in situations like this to just take JPEGs and were generally happy with the quality of images and decision? I know I could take both RAW+JPEGs, but think they're might be file management issues there too.

I'll probably take my 200D, maybe K-01 and/or Fuji X10 as well.

Thanks for any shared opinions/experiences.

05-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I never encountered situations that made me use JPG's instead of RAW. I see the post production process as something that makes relive those wonderful holiday moments and it gives me a better chance to spot en correct mistakes and to learn from them. It makes no sense to me to give up on RAW just when I use my camera the most. But thats me... And if I really need a JPG file right away I process the RAW file with the available tools in my camera.
05-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I only use jpeg when I'm running low on card space or when I know I won't get around to processing the photos myself (like, when I'm taking so many photos that I won't go through them all to post process when I get back home). I also use jpeg when using certain scene modes (like night HDR, I actually kind of like that one). But for photos of spectacular scenes, I prefer to use raw.
And when I travel these days I just take the K-01 with me. Nice and compact, great sensor, interchangeable lenses, great noise performance, and it doesn't look very attractive to thieves, because its so compact and yellow.
05-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The only time I use jpegs, is when the the images are going to be uploaded straight away to picture editors for either news or sports events.

Otherwise for me always dng's and if running low on space, buy or carry more cards.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-19-2013 at 09:45 AM.
05-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
am afraid if I take only RAW I won't have as much time as I'd like when we return for adequate PP.
In that case you can still convert those RAWs directly to JPEGs according to in-camera settings. That won't take any time, can be done directly during importing the photos too.

I've never found a good enough reason to shoot JPEG other than running out of space.
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I know I could take both RAW+JPEGs, but think they're might be file management issues there too.
This is what I do all the time.

In old school terms, the RAW are my negs which I put away safely, and the JPEGS are my prints to pass round and show friends and which are OK 90% of the time. For the odd special shot, I pp the RAW, but generally I live with the JPEGs.

As to file management, in your case I would have a folder namer 'Italy 2013', with a sub-folder titled 'RAW'. The RAW goes in 'RAW' and the JPEGs in the main folder 'Italy 2013'. Simples

Life's too short
05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have done this when I am short on card space and essentially taking snapshots. It is easy enough (on the K10D) to push the RAW button for the odd frame that might justify the higher quality and flexibility that RAW provides.

Steve

05-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
In that case you can still convert those RAWs directly to JPEGs according to in-camera settings. That won't take any time, can be done directly during importing the photos too.

I've never found a good enough reason to shoot JPEG other than running out of space.
+1. I've never understood this "problem". You can just batch process them unattended. Tweak the ones you need to.
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see a reason for ever doing JPEGs only. Well, only if you run out of memory cards.

With doing only JPEGs in the camera there are several settings such as: WB, sharpness, saturation, hue, contrast, hi key, lo key, contrast adj, highlight adj, shadow adj, vibrancy for every shooting situation to "hit" a good image. With raw you can, you can adjust those if needed at home, at you leisure.

Just buy a couple of extra memory cards and shoot raw+JPEG. You can never have too many memory cards. Besides memory cards are so cheap they are almost free!
05-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #10

DNG all the time.
Went out to New Zealand for two weeks with two 16g extreme cards, one 16g micro extreme (ex phone) class 10s. Two 4g class 6, one 8g class 4 (ex tablet) 32g class 4 (from tablet as final backup).
Totalled just over 2600 images. Having the full ability to enhance even if it takes time is far worth it, only the "when will you be finished?" is a negative.

Extra cards are a cheap investment.

I'm in Rome next weekend, maybe our paths will cross?

Regards
Alan
05-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

I would never shoot JPEG for images I can't go back and easily get again. There's just too much chance of not getting it right. As for slowing down the group, you'll be more likely to do that trying to get your exposure perfect for the JPEG. As most of the other posters here said, you can just do a quick convert to JPEG when you can get a chance and then really go through your photos later.
05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much to everyone. My last trips with the K200D, Colorado River/Grand Canyon, and Peru Trek, I shot only RAW. I just wanted to check before this trip whether I'm missing something. One thing I know I'm missing and have to work on is my batch processing and Light Room skills, and I think that's a big reason I'm asking the question.

Again thanks for your time, confirmations, and insights. I always learn something and did again today.

Alan- We'll be in the Cinque Terre region.
Fries- My family is originally from Friesland, I'd like to visit there again sometime.

All the best.
05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much to everyone. My last trips with the K200D, Colorado River/Grand Canyon, and Peru Trek, I shot only RAW. I just wanted to check before this trip whether I'm missing something. One thing I know I'm missing and have to work on is my batch processing and Light Room skills, and I think that's a big reason I'm asking the question.

Again thanks for your time, confirmations, and insights. I always learn something and did again today.

Fries- My family is originally from Friesland, I'd like to visit there again sometime.

All the best.
For batch processing when both my camera and lens are Pentax, I just turn DxO loose. It fixes the lens distortion, exposure and sensor problems all by itself. It's slow, but a glass or 12 of ale get me through OK.

When it's done, I click the [LR] button, and all the images magically appear in Lightroom where I can fine tune anything DxO doesn't catch. I disliked darkroom work when using film, I don't enjoy Lightroom work much more, except it doesn't smell as bad.
05-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best.
Then you are what we call in the Frisian language a "Fries om útens" and you are most welcome come back. If I can be of any assistance let me know.
05-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The answer is simply "never".