Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The answer is simply "never".
+1

RAW is all I need and when in a hurry, unattended batch processing can do the trick or even DCRAW -e to extract full-size thumbs from the raw.

05-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Well, I guess I'll be the contrarian.

I will shoot Jpeg-only when shooting high-speed continuous, such as fast-moving sports. I can rip off a whole bunch of shots without clogging the buffer.

For travel I generally take a LOT of cards and shoot RAW+JPEG. I do an e-mail photo-blog for friends and family and simply don't have the time to PP what I want to send out each night. My laptop is pretty slow running PSE and Camera RAW, so it is easier to just quickly tweak a few of the better Jpgs in FastStone Viewer each night to send out. If there is time after that I may sort and tag keepers but I leave serious PP of the best RAWs for after I get home.
05-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
Banned

You could also just take less images so you don't stress yourself with load off work to get true them afterwards. So on a 32GB card in your K-01 you can take around 2000 iamges. On a 14 day holiday you can average out on 140 images/day and a little more when you take a little time in the evening to delete some not nice enough images.
05-20-2013, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You could also just take less images so you don't stress yourself with load off work to get true them afterwards. So on a 32GB card in your K-01 you can take around 2000 iamges. On a 14 day holiday you can average out on 140 images/day and a little more when you take a little time in the evening to delete some not nice enough images.
Wow! So many raw-only shooters here

Hope I'm not the only one. I'd shoot JPG mostly when I'm traveling (unless it's a photo trip) but I'd switch to raw when the lights get complicated or too dark. I even shoot in jpg mostly when I'm out w the kids.

To me I don't have the time or mood sitting in front of computer and converting all those travel photos before I can share w my family (who usually would be w me when I'm traveling) or make some quick prints. With two young schooling kids around, sometimes the only time I switch on computer is to make some quick prints for the wife or kids (mostly I use ipad or kindle HD for Internet).

IMO the most important thing for travel is to enjoy the trip and have some fun during the trip, meantime take some photos to keep the memory. JPGs from Pentax dSLR cameras are more than enough for this purpose. Just take JPGs if you are happy w the results.

05-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Wow! So many raw-only shooters here
Well, it just *is* better raw...
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hope I'm not the only one. I'd shoot JPG mostly when I'm traveling, unless it's a photo trip, but I'd switch to raw when the lights get complicated or too dark. I even shoot in jpg mostly when I'm out w the kids.

To me I don't have the time or mood sitting in front of computer and converting all those travel photos before I can share w my family (who usually would be w me when I'm traveling) or make some quick prints. With two young schooling kids around, sometimes the only time I switch on computer is to make some quick prints for the wife or kids (mostly I use ipad or kindle HD for Internet).

IMO the most important thing for travel is to enjoy the trip and have some fun during the trip, meantime take some photos to keep the memory. JPGs from Pentax dSLR cameras are more than enough for this purpose. Just take JPGs if you are happy w the results.
Well, I'd humbly submit that you're doing things the wrong way around, and you still should be taking RAW, always, and especially in your situation...let me explain....

If you do not feel like spending hours in front of a computer to manually convert them all, then simply pick almost any raw-converter and hit "autopilot" to get jpegs.....

If you want "instant gratification" to stick on, say, a tablet or mail to friends while on vacation, set the camera to take RAW+jpeg.

But, having the RAW allows you to deal with a "complicated light situation" or recover that once-in-a-lifetime shot without having to remember, or take the time, to change settings on the camera.

There, honestly, isn't any valid reason for having a DSLR and not taking RAWs(*).

(*) maaaaybe one exception, if you really really need to shoot in high-speed-continuous AK47-mode, AND if your camera can process sensor data to a jpeg faster than it can write the raw file to the memory card AND your buffer is running full AND you're happy with not being able to do any PP on your shot... then maybe - and only maybe - can shooting jpeg w/o RAW be justified....but even then, only as a stop-gap measure until you acquire a more appropriate camera for the kind of photography you apparently do.
05-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
Banned

I did most off these in JPG:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/162001-travel-paris.html

When I make black/white images I do like the settings that Pentax uses. It's there and Pentax has choosen to give us this feeling of the toning.
05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
... you're happy with not being able to do any PP on your shot...
Who says you cannot do any PP with a Jpeg?? That is just poppycock. You can't do AS MUCH as you can with a RAW but you can certainly do basic adjustments to a Jpeg.

05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do not feel like spending hours in front of a computer to manually convert them all, then simply pick almost any raw-converter and hit "autopilot" to get jpegs.....
Right, but why not just have the camera do that in the first place, and save a lot of time and space? Not to mention that when shooting jpeg, Pentax cameras often allow things that they don't allow in raw (due to long writing times). And out of camera jpegs don't even look too bad, most of the time.
I used to be a "always shoot raw" kind of guy, but I no longer see jpeg as a sin. Its perfectly useful in some situations. And if you take a jpeg you can still use the camera menus and save the raw of the last photo you took, just in case you decide you want to PP it.
05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The difference between shooting RAW and shooting JPEG is the difference between shooting quality slide film and Polaroid. The difference between an out of camera JPEG and what Lightroom does using its defaults (no input from me!) is clearly visible.
05-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, it just *is* better raw...

Well, I'd humbly submit that you're doing things the wrong way around, and you still should be taking RAW, always, and especially in your situation...let me explain....

If you want "instant gratification" to stick on, say, a tablet or mail to friends while on vacation, set the camera to take RAW+jpeg.

But, having the RAW allows you to deal with a "complicated light situation" or recover that once-in-a-lifetime shot without having to remember, or take the time, to change settings on the camera.

There, honestly, isn't any valid reason for having a DSLR and not taking RAWs(*).

(*) maaaaybe one exception, if you really really need to shoot in high-speed-continuous AK47-mode, AND if your camera can process sensor data to a jpeg faster than it can write the raw file to the memory card AND your buffer is running full AND you're happy with not being able to do any PP on your shot... then maybe - and only maybe - can shooting jpeg w/o RAW be justified....but even then, only as a stop-gap measure until you acquire a more appropriate camera for the kind of photography you apparently do.
I understand what you said, and I've done exactly the same before.

But now I just need more time staying w the kids and family, most time I like to get the photos right (in jpg of course) in the first place. That's why I use manual white balance when need to, try to get the expose right too so to avoid totally unusable photos. And I'd shoot a few more (jpgs) in different settings so I'd get one or two right. When I get home, I just keep those I like, and delete what I don't like, or just keep everything there, and select those good ones for prints if my family ask me to. If it happens to be once-in-a-lifetime shot, I'd make sure to take a few or even many shots so to avoid disappointment. Or just shoot RAW for this particular shot

Our cameras give us all those options which are meant to be used, and I'm sure those Pentax engineers worked pretty hard to get things right so we don't have to shoot raw all the time.

And I believe good photos are not just to show perfect details, colors, exposure or dynamic range, but good contents, good structures, good composition and good lightings.

I still shoot raw when I'm going out for photo trips or outings, or when I'm shooting for money (weddings, events ...). I can justify time for those occasions
05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Who says you cannot do any PP with a Jpeg?? That is just poppycock. You can't do AS MUCH as you can with a RAW but you can certainly do basic adjustments to a Jpeg.
Very basic, yes. But something as basic as correcting a tilted horizon, and editing a jpeg starts loosing quality dramatically and fast.

One can also survive a bullet to the head...that's not to say that it's a good idea to intentionally bring oneself in situations where one gets shot in the head....
05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #27

Very basic, yes. But something as basic as correcting a tilted horizon, and editing a jpeg starts loosing quality dramatically and fast.

One can also survive a bullet to the head...that's not to say that it's a good idea to intentionally bring oneself in situations where one gets shot in the head....
I had contemplated shooting jpeg when i go on vacation in July so that I could use my iPad to label and keyword the files rather than carrying along my MacBook. I've decided to carry the MacBook with me.
05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For batch processing when both my camera and lens are Pentax, I just turn DxO loose. It fixes the lens distortion, exposure and sensor problems all by itself. It's slow, but a glass or 12 of ale get me through OK.

When it's done, I click the [LR] button, and all the images magically appear in Lightroom where I can fine tune anything DxO doesn't catch. I disliked darkroom work when using film, I don't enjoy Lightroom work much more, except it doesn't smell as bad.
I do exactly the same Albert. Question though......do you have your DxO output set to dng or jpeg? I've been using jpeg as the output since the raw file is still available for further work if need be.
05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I do exactly the same Albert. Question though......do you have your DxO output set to dng or jpeg? I've been using jpeg as the output since the raw file is still available for further work if need be.
No. I output DNG. So I end up with two files, for example _IGP1234.PEF and _IGP1234_DxO.DNG. This allows me to compare the DxO treatment with the LR treatment. I then work with one or the other - by far most of the time it is the DxO version, but sometimes I take the PEF, particularly when using the 16-50 and the DxO distortion correction takes out something I want in the image and the distortion doesn't affect the image - scenery, animals, etc.
05-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
No. I output DNG. So I end up with two files, for example _IGP1234.PEF and _IGP1234_DxO.DNG. This allows me to compare the DxO treatment with the LR treatment. I then work with one or the other - by far most of the time it is the DxO version, but sometimes I take the PEF, particularly when using the 16-50 and the DxO distortion correction takes out something I want in the image and the distortion doesn't affect the image - scenery, animals, etc.
Thanks - I've done that in the past but hesitate to keep doing it as I end up with 2 large raw files of each image which would take up twice as much space.