Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Ed in GA

raw + jpeg.... Curious

Just wonder how many here with K10D/K20D use the raw+jpeg shooting mode?

And, why you do or why you don't?

Thanks,

Ed

03-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When I first started shooting RAW, I shot in RAW+JPEG mode. I did so because I thought you wouldn't be able to preview the shot in the LCD unless you were going to 'develop' it in camera to JPEG. (how silly!) I soon learned the folly of my ways as it ate up a ton of space, and I was, in fact, able to preview the RAW shot. Then I switched to just RAW. On a 1 gig card, I think it increased the capacity by 30 shots. (K10D)

The best use for that recording format is for JPEG shooters with a tricky exposure on their hands. If you get a decent JPEG out of it, cool.....if not, you've got a RAW copy that will give you a ton more leeway to fix the shot.
03-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I used RAW+(small) JPG on our cabin vacation last summer. I had a laptop to toss the images onto, but it didn't have any RAW-capable software so I liked that we had the JPGs to view the shots I took. Since the JPGs were small, they didn't eat up much space on the cards.

I've since discovered Fastone Viewer, so I will put that on our travel laptop so I can easily view my RAW shots.
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
So far I've only used it once when shooting my bands press kit. We needed to pick the shots quickly, so I uploaded the (small) JPEGs when I got home and waited to hear from the rest of band which shots they liked, and then PPd only those shots for the press kit. Saved me some time exporting a bunch of JPEGs.

03-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using both with the K20D. It sure eats the memo card space. Doing it because I like pef instead of dng. Wasn't sure if my older Pentax software (K10D version -already on the computer) would be able to convert K20D. Didn't want to screw up first photos so jpegs were a safety net. Appears that K10D software will show K20D raw files. Will probably convert them also. If not will have to put new Pentax software in computer. Once this is straightened out will only shoot raw. Unless its some 4x6" birthday or something.
thanks
barondla

ps Pana LX2 P&S forces one to shoot jpeg when doing raw. Its file sizes are larger than K10D on raw+. WOW.
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just stick with RAW. You can make JPEGs on the fly on camera if you really need to away from a computer and with batch conversion on a decent RAW converter you can get pretty good quick JPEGs. In short the extra file just isn't worth the extra space on an SD card to me.
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

shoot in RAW, if you need quick Jpegs, use PEF2JPEG, what a great program
every RAW file has a JPEG embedded in it, the program extracts out the JPEG file

03-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

It's handy if you're on a trip and don't have time to convert your raw files every day, but want to email some jpegs. Shoot raw + a low quality jpeg and you won't burn as much memory. You can delete the jpegs off the card once you have sent them. Otherwise, if you have time to import into Lightroom or the equivalent each nite it's just as easy to shoot raw and save a bunch of jpegs to email.
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i do raw+. i use the jpegs as proofs...
03-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

when I am at a wedding, i shoot RAW+

then at the reception, i pull the small jpgs and bust a little slideshow.
the small jpgs move fast, and transition in-show fast.

after the wedding, i delete em all. then I revel in the fact that RAW+ gave me a little marketing push.

8)
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I shoot mostly landscapes which I use RAW exclusively. But I also use my K10D around the house and work for quick shots, which I like to have in simple JPEGs. Since landscape photography is very planned (at least mine is) and that precious family moment is usually not, I have my camera programmed to JPEG. I have the USER function programmed for RAW along with other important camera settings which I use for my landscapes, so with the turn of the dial, I'm in nature mode!
03-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I shoot mostly in RAW+JPG on K10D, but now I only shoot in JPG on K20D for three reasons:
1. The RAW files are HUGE
2. CSII doesn't have support on K20D's PEF file yet
3. I'm quite satisfied w/ the JPG output both indoor or outdoor
03-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use it, because, heretic that I am, I shoot in JPEG most of the time. When I think a situation might warrant RAW, I hit the button — and it's a timesaver if I then decide the JPEGs are sufficient.
03-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #14

I have it set to RAW+JPEG because as a complete beginner most of my shots are junk, and having the JPEGs gives me a reasonably accurate idea of the quality of the images when I dump the card onto my pc, so I can easily discern and delete the useless shots without having to open up the far larger RAW files.
03-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd like mine raw, please, and no veggies

I shoot just raw. Me, I like to travel light and strike without warning. OK, I admit, 23 MB dng files on the K20D isn't "light," but it's lighter than 30 MB dng + jpeg files.

I don't see the point of raw + jpeg at all. I get more photos on a card this way, and after I've got the raw files on my computer, it takes me no time at all, really, to save any or all of 'em as jpegs if I want to. But I suppose if there were an option for, oh, pef raw + dng raw + jpeg + tiff option, somebody would use it. If I were going to go redundant and waste storage space, I would MUCH rather have the ability to write every image file to 2 different cards at the same time.

Will