Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #1

New to Pentax and dslr

Hey all! I am awaiting my K10D which I should have by the end of the month. I was an advid film shooter and then left the photography world for a little while and now i want to come back in full force. I know each dslr has a "conversion" on the focal length of the lenses. Can anyone tell me what the conversion is and how it will affect my shots? Like I said I am totally new to the D-SLR world...

I decided to go to the K10D because my favorite film camera is the classic K1000 that I learned on, and the feel of the K10D was love at first grip. I thought of getting and entry level camera like a Rebel XTI but for the difference of a few hundred dollars I could have a much more serious camera to grow into. The only thing is I hope I haven't gotten myself into too much of a camera..but as my mom always said "I'll grow into it.."

Any info is awesome..
Nik

03-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I was born and raised in Madison and my parents still live there. So that makes 3 Madison people on here (well...2.5 and I'm the half )

The crop factor is 1.5x....when you see a lens, take its focal length and mulitply it by 1.5 to get the effective length. On the camera itself, when SR asks for a number...put in the len's true length as printed on its front (if using manual lenses).

The entry level Canons feel like toys...you made a good choice
03-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.. Madison is great. Manual mode asks for the focal length? that is really odd, isn't it?
03-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Thanks.. Madison is great. Manual mode asks for the focal length? that is really odd, isn't it?
Are you using shake reduction with a older lens? If so that's why it's asking. The camera uses the focal length to optimize the amount the sensor compensates for your giggles. With newer lenses this can be read directly from the lens. Now as to which number you enter for zooms, opinion differs. Get as close as you can or pick the average.

03-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums Nik. You'll love the older Primes as well as the newer lenses. To compliment my older SMC Takumar's I added a couple of Sigma's, both are great fun, but my goto walkabout lens is the 17-70.
My brother and his wife are moving back to Madison from a stint overseas. They have a place on the water over near Bishops Bay GC.
Cheers.