Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #1

For those who've sent their K10s to Pentax...

I will be sending my K10 (under warranty) to Pentax in CO for "Tilted Image Syndrome." Do they typically give it the once-over for other possible issues or do you need to tell them about any other items you want checked out (such as AF, exposure calibration, etc.)

Also, do they normally update the firmware to the latest version or do you need to ask?

Thanks in advance.

03-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
ycl

Hi --

You have to include, w/the camera, a description of what you believe is wrong with it. I doubt that Pentax'll just do a check of everything else if you don't mention it in your note. So, to ensure that Pentax check the other things, you can also mention that you've occasionally had problems with, e.g., the auto-focus or whatever else.

But, yes, Pentax will do the firmware update for you, without you requesting it. And they will also do a thorough cleaning. For instance, they cleaned my previously dirty viewfinder screen quite well.

And the process was a bit faster than I thought it'd be. I sent my K10d to Pentax USA in Colorado (because it occasionally would only take photos with a deep purple tinge) and received it back within 3 weeks. So far so good.

Good luck.
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I was suprised when I sent my first pentax to colorado (ist*D, 2004)

There was a long list of maintenaince they said they did, including fix the firmware.
Funny, that time took 8 weeks. (shutter firing erratically....bad problem i guess)
The three other times it has been less than three.
I have one in colorado right now.
03-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
tilted to

Hi if u dont mind while on that subject has anyone here had to pay to get there tilted viewfinder repaired and how much , thnx.

03-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just sent a k10d in for back focusing and they want 250 dollars to fix it. $108 for parts and the rest is labor and return shipping. Funny thing is, the camera was working fine, just back focusing a bit. Figured they would adjust it for less than that. i should've just firmware hacked and adjusted it myself. I've been trying to talk to someone for 2 days and both people couldnt tell me what parts they were replacing........been waiting for the superviser to call me, nothing yet.
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
reknelb,

Is your K10 with the backfocus problem under warranty?
03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I was surprised how clean my k10d came back to me after service at Pentax in Colorado. They adjusted the camera for back focus issues and changed the electronic circuits to the top LCD which was going out. It looked like a new camera when it came back to me and has been working great. I'm sorry I waited so long to have it serviced. I didn't want the firmware updated, but they do that as routine it seems. I've read a lot of complaints about the service center in Colorado but my experience was good. It only took my camera 3 weeks from the time it left my hands to have it back in my hands. After hearing of people waiting 6 to 8 weeks to get their camera back I was happy mine didn't take that long. Good luck with your service!

03-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Olrocker Quote
reknelb,

Is your K10 with the backfocus problem under warranty?
Unfortunately, I bought the camera the first day it was in the store. Nov. 2006 So the warranty ran out. I'm having a hard time forking over the 250 for a camera thats worth 500. I hate to say it, but the Canon 5D is looking pretty good right now.