Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10D - Great New Review

Great review . . . whole different reviewing style . . . they even read the manual . . .

Megapixel.net

They really had to stretch to get some negatives.

01-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

just gonna post that one u beat me to it.. he he

they seem to like it..

trog

ps.. they do seem to have a dferent "kit lens" thow..

Last edited by trog100; 01-11-2007 at 11:30 AM.
01-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Had to check where the company is located. They state, and show, the kit lens as the DA16-45/4. In their 'negative' column, the re-state the well known problem of a flash shadow when using the 16-45 and the built-in flash. Now, where in the world did they supply the 16-45 as the kit lens . . . and at only $100 more than the body alone price?

Turns out that it is a Connecticut company, based right here in the "good ol' U.S. of A." I thought that the DA16-55/3.5-5.6 was the default kit lens, at least here in the states. Maybe you folks up north in Canada get the better lens as the kit lens. How did they come to the conclusion that the 16-45 is the 'kit' lens? And, is the lens/flash shadow a fault of the body . . . or of the lens? Shouldn't be listed as a fault of the K10D if it is a lens problem (due to the size and length of the lens).

They also state another negative as "the kit lens does not take full advantage of the camera". This is stated without explanation. Difficult to ascertain what they meant. Again, it is a fault of the lens, not the body.

So, two of their four negatives are lens related, and with a lens that isn't even the default kit lens. You're right, they had to dig pretty deep to find some negatives. I'm not trying to defend the camera and dis their negatives. I can come up with a whole list to replace their list, such as the weight of the body, or how the base of my hand would often focus or takes exposures using the shutter release of the grip, when my intent was to not focus or expose, (explanation at a different time, if anyone cares).
01-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the "kit lens" factor does kinda add interest.. they didnt seem to think too highly of it even thow most would consider it far superior to the real kit lens..

good value for money thow.. he he

trog

01-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah I read that in DPR. It was surprisingly impressive for the appraisal of the image quality section.

The hatred for this lens is clear in the review. Not sure why it is the case as other competition brands have worse kit lenses!
01-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
Great review . . . whole different reviewing style . . . they even read the manual . . .

Megapixel.net

Finally someone who is less concerned about judging the sharpness of bottle labels (DP) and more concerned with what the k10 is all about....
easy to use, comfortable and takes darn great photos.

randy
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Had to check where the company is located. They state, and show, the kit lens as the DA16-45/4. In their 'negative' column, the re-state the well known problem of a flash shadow when using the 16-45 and the built-in flash. Now, where in the world did they supply the 16-45 as the kit lens . . . and at only $100 more than the body alone price?

Turns out that it is a Connecticut company, based right here in the "good ol' U.S. of A." I thought that the DA16-55/3.5-5.6 was the default kit lens, at least here in the states. Maybe you folks up north in Canada get the better lens as the kit lens. How did they come to the conclusion that the 16-45 is the 'kit' lens? And, is the lens/flash shadow a fault of the body . . . or of the lens? Shouldn't be listed as a fault of the K10D if it is a lens problem (due to the size and length of the lens).

They also state another negative as "the kit lens does not take full advantage of the camera". This is stated without explanation. Difficult to ascertain what they meant. Again, it is a fault of the lens, not the body.

So, two of their four negatives are lens related, and with a lens that isn't even the default kit lens. You're right, they had to dig pretty deep to find some negatives. I'm not trying to defend the camera and dis their negatives. I can come up with a whole list to replace their list, such as the weight of the body, or how the base of my hand would often focus or takes exposures using the shutter release of the grip, when my intent was to not focus or expose, (explanation at a different time, if anyone cares).
Up here in Ontario, Canada, the K10 did not come with the 18-55mm standard kit lens. It was body only, and some places put some lenses on and sold them as a package deal with a discount. (please correct me if I am wrong)
like these Pentax K10D Kit w/Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Cameras - Vistek - Product Detail
Pentax K10D Kit w/DA 16-45mm f/4 ED Cameras - Vistek - Product Detail

I am assuming that most people up here if they are willing to put enough money into there body, then they would like to spend a bit extra for a step up from base lens.
Just a guess

randy
01-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote

Megapixel.net

Not a bad review, but they forgot to add "no TTL support" to the negatives...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Lens Confusion

For those that noticed the discrepency in the megapixel.net K10 review regarding the Pentax 16-45 lens, here is the editor's email'ed response that I obtained after I wrote to him explaining the confusion:

"Thanks for noticing the error. We were told by the PR firm that handles
Pentax here that this was the kit lens, and took it at face value. In fact,
while some vendors in the US are bundling the K10D with the 18-55mm lens, in
Canada the camera is sold body only. Nevertheless, the comments made about
the 16-45 zoom lens and the 70mm we tested the camera with remain valid. So,
in light of this new information, we have re-worded the text to remove any
mention of the 16-45mm as a "kit lens".

Best regards,

Denys Bouton
Managing editor, megapixel.net"
--
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Up here in Ontario, Canada, the K10 did not come with the 18-55mm standard kit lens. It was body only, and some places put some lenses on and sold them as a package deal with a discount. (please correct me if I am wrong)
like these Pentax K10D Kit w/Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Cameras - Vistek - Product Detail
Pentax K10D Kit w/DA 16-45mm f/4 ED Cameras - Vistek - Product Detail

I am assuming that most people up here if they are willing to put enough money into there body, then they would like to spend a bit extra for a step up from base lens.
Just a guess

randy
Hi slipchuck as another Ontario resident I thought you might get a giggle out of this.
10 days ago I purchased a K100D online from Camera -warehouse in Alberta(a replacement for a defective flash in the original one). Today I decided to send it back and get the K10D ..(going to Thailand and decided I might need the sealed body). The dealer asked me if I was going to keep the 16-55 mm kit lens so I said yes...so it looks like I am going to get a K10D with the kit lens.
Your remarks made me aware of my luck. What do they say? Ignorance is bliss? lol. Anyway as soon as I can afford it I shall get one of the new Pentax lenses coming out.
regards, Tony. (of Burlington)