Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #31

Just caught up with this thread. I went down this path a month ago. I found the savings in buying on-line from an Australian supplier providing a local waranty but sourcing via HK easily made the case for a K10D. Odered Monday, here on Friday. I brought my DA *16-50 and 50-135 lenses from Adorama in 2 separate purchases (plus some 8GB SDHC cards) to make sure I kept under the $1K threshold. I knew I could be taking a chance if I had a problem but the overall savings made me happy to do this. This is exactly the same process I have used in buying books, CD's and DVD's. I will buy local when the total price including shipping is in the same ball-park but I have no interest in feeding importers and middlemen when it is so easy to bypass them completely and use the savings for even more toys.

03-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
Forum Member

Buying locally...grrrr

Hi guys

I have seen the new DA*200 in store in Adelaide for $1700 Oz. Landed here from B&H including gst costs about $1200 and of course International warranty is available and honoured by Kennedy's.

I have heard you can twist their (CRK's) arm to price match.

Cheers from (expensive) Oz

UltraWide
03-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
So, so true.
My daughter has just gone through the (highly frustrating) exercise in NZ trying to buy a K200D or a K10D......she ended up with an alternate brand because it was just simpler and easier to do so. Some dealers openly admitted to knowing nothing about Pentax....something that Pentax should take note of.
Honestly, it's not the dealers, it's the distributor. I've had an argument with one of their staff on the phone regarding whether or not they would even go and look in their storeroom to see if they had a DA 40mm lens in stock... the NZ distributor just seems to have little to no interest selling the Pentax SLR products, which is crying shame.
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Honestly, it's not the dealers, it's the distributor. I've had an argument with one of their staff on the phone regarding whether or not they would even go and look in their storeroom to see if they had a DA 40mm lens in stock... the NZ distributor just seems to have little to no interest selling the Pentax SLR products, which is crying shame.

Thats not my experience cpopham, when I got my K10d quite recently the shop had it in stock but I wanted to upgrade the kit lens to the 16-45. The salesman got on the phone to Ian R Little while I stood there, had a apparently positive conversation with them and the lens was dispatched by one hour courier at no extra charge to me, and this after negotiating a small discount. Similarly when I went to buy my 100mm Macro a quick phone call and it was again dispatched by one hour courier. I must admit that the agent is also based in Christchurch and again I'm not sure what would happen if they were not holding stock or I needed a repair etc.

Regards
Brian

03-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
Thats not my experience cpopham, when I got my K10d quite recently the shop had it in stock but I wanted to upgrade the kit lens to the 16-45. The salesman got on the phone to Ian R Little while I stood there, had a apparently positive conversation with them and the lens was dispatched by one hour courier at no extra charge to me, and this after negotiating a small discount. Similarly when I went to buy my 100mm Macro a quick phone call and it was again dispatched by one hour courier. I must admit that the agent is also based in Christchurch and again I'm not sure what would happen if they were not holding stock or I needed a repair etc.

Regards
Brian
You wouldn't mind if ask regarding the shop in question - wouldn't happen to be Ken's Digital would it? I've never been able to figure out how, but they seem to be able to get things at slightly less painful prices than most. Perhaps it's the power of volume buying?

It's comforting to know my troubles may have been a one off!
03-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
You wouldn't mind if ask regarding the shop in question - wouldn't happen to be Ken's Digital would it? I've never been able to figure out how, but they seem to be able to get things at slightly less painful prices than most. Perhaps it's the power of volume buying?

It's comforting to know my troubles may have been a one off!
Hi cpopham

Its Photo and Video International in Merivale Mall. Photo & Video International - New & Used Photographic Equipment & Digital Printing

Their price was pretty much what Ken's offered but I felt the service was better, could be a personal thing but it means they now get my business.

Cheers
Brian
03-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UltraWide Quote
Hi guys

I have seen the new DA*200 in store in Adelaide for $1700 Oz. Landed here from B&H including gst costs about $1200 and of course International warranty is available and honoured by Kennedy's.

I have heard you can twist their (CRK's) arm to price match.

Cheers from (expensive) Oz

UltraWide
G'day Ultrawide,

Fascinated to hear Kennedy's will honour warranty on overseas purchased lenses (assuming only Pentax?).

Have you had personal experience with them doing so (not doubting your statement at all) but I spoke with one of their guys and he said if it (lens or camera) didn't come via them then I was on my own.

Maybe that was just BS?

03-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Things are not so different here in California...This state is run by a bunch of folks who do not know how to count...I normally buy from B&H clear across the country because it saves me a bunch of money...
In California, that I call the ''TAX'' capital of the U.S. The cost of living is simply ridiculous...We pay by far and away the most taxes and I am talking more that the 8.25% sales tax.. ...Being that I am a small business owner, I get taxed to about an equivalent 45% of our income is taxes...Guess what, this gets past on to the consumer...me...So not only do things cost me less out of state, I don't have to be taxes on it and many places I buy from offer free shipping...The downside, Is, that I have to wait for the stuff to get here....Bottom line, When I bought my K20D I saved a tad under 200 bucks by not buying it in California..
03-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Hi jgredline

Re your opinion:

QuoteQuote:
The cost of living is simply ridiculous
You may not realise this my friend, but by comparison with England, you have life EASY in California !!!!
Average house prices for a moderate 3-bedroom semi-detached suburban property in greater London normally hover around £350,000.00 - £400,000.00. My personal yearly rate bill (local Council Tax) in 2008 exceeds £1,500.00 per annum
(over $3,000.00 !). Public utilities such as Electric, Gas & Water have literally gone through the roof ! Overall taxation had risen by 100% since the Labour government came to power a decade ago. And to cap it all, gasoline is now over £5.00 ($10.00) a gallon !!!
I'd willingly swap lifestyles with you ANYTIME, but I reckon you simply couldn't afford to live over here on a permanent basis !!

Best regards
Richard

UK Petrol Prices (per litre) for
Sunday 16th Mar 2008
Attached Images

Last edited by Confused; 03-17-2008 at 09:49 AM.
03-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi jgredline

Re your opinion:

You may not realise this my friend, but by comparison with England, you have life EASY in California !!!!
Average house prices for a moderate 3-bedroom semi-detached property in greater London normally hover around £350,000.00 - £400,000.00. My personal yearly rate bill (local Council Tax) in 2008 exceeds £1,500.00 per annum (over $3,000.00 !). Public utilities such as Electric, Gas & Water have literally gone through the roof ! Overall taxation had risen by 100% since the Labour government came to power a decade ago. And to cap it all, gasoline is now over £5.00 ($10.00) a gallon !!!
I'd willingly swap lifestyles with you ANYTIME, but I reckon you simply couldn't afford to live over here on a permanent basis !!

Best regards
Richard

UK Petrol Prices (per litre) for
Sunday 16th Mar 2008
Oh, now this could be interesting. I will work on the math and see. Perhaps you are correct..We will see...But in order to properly compare, we need to compare apples to apples...I will take your London and put it up with L.A. in general...Both cities have poor and rich neighborhoods...But for starters, in the neighborhood I live in a Three bedroom house sells for $850.000.00K bucks...Most homes in my area cost upwards of 1Million bucks.