Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5ii (s) vs K-30 for video (and obviously photography)

I currently have a K20D and have found a full time job for the summer (I am a university student) that will yield a pretty decent amount of cash. SO I kind of want to look at upgrading.

I also currently have a Canon HF S11 camcorder (1080p, 24mbit high-end handheld camcorder) which is great in the outdoors but only decent indoors. When I play around with the live view on my K20D I literally dream of being able to record with it. The colors and dynamic range are just so much more interesting, not to mention the DOF with my 50/1.7.

So here's my question: Is the K-5ii or K-30 better for video? I know the K-30 has focus peaking (which seems like it would be an amazing help) but the K-5ii is newer so they may have improved on the video quality over the K-30. Most reviews say the video mode on the K-30 is just average, at best.

I'd probably be using either a tripod/monopod or getting some sort of glidecam setup because I do a lot of moving around shots (shoot music videos and skits), don't know if that's important to know.

As a slightly annoying alternative, I guess I can wait for the new APS-C prosumer model that's supposed to come out anywhere from this summer to christmas? Not sure I want to wait that long considering I have a bunch of video ideas and plans for this summer. I figure the video mode would be better on that model, though, so there's the tradeoff. Patience or no patience.

As a side note, I wouldn't go for a K-30 unless the video performance is better than the K5-ii, save for the focus peaking. I can't live without a top LCD.

05-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 lacks one thing that would probably be very important to you. It doesn't have an external mic port, it is limited to a built in mono mic.

Video on the K-5 II is the same as the video on the K-5. No improvements. MJPEG and limited to 5 minutes at 1080p 25 fps.

Video is just a feature check box for Pentax.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-24-2013 at 04:23 PM.
05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K30 is better for video than the K5II. However, the best video cam from Pentax is the K01. I have a few Panasonic cams (LX& and FZ200) that produce great video for the price.

Dale
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, a 5 minute limit? I guess that's out of the question then. Does the K-01 have the same limit (and video specs)?

It's really a shame that Pentax barely pays attention to video. I would really love to use my 15mm limited in some footage.

EDIT: Okay, so it looks like the K-01 is actually pretty decent for video. I'm now kicking myself for canceling my order back when it was $314 with the 40mm lens. That was actually a great price. I'll have to take a look at some used bodies.

Last edited by NitroDC; 05-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
05-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Wow, a 5 minute limit? I guess that's out of the question then. Does the K-01 have the same limit (and video specs)?

It's really a shame that Pentax barely pays attention to video. I would really love to use my 15mm limited in some footage.
The K-01 has the same video specs as the K-30, h.264 1080p 30 fps up to 25 minutes. It also has an external mic port, and the built in mic is stereo. It just has some limitations as a still camera.
05-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-01 has the same video specs as the K-30, h.264 1080p 30 fps up to 25 minutes. It also has an external mic port, and the built in mic is stereo. It just has some limitations as a still camera.
Yeah, there's another tradeoff. External mic input, but limited controls in photography as opposed to the K5-iis. And although I could upgrade and also get the K-01, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I guess it's best to wait for the new model, whenever it comes, and hope that they'll combine the video of the K30/01 with the features and build of the K5-ii.
05-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the double-post. I've found a K-01 for a pretty good price, and I'm wondering about the movie mode. Are there any controls for contrast/sharpness/etc? I've been watching a few test clips but they look very contrasty, and that's not something you can just fix in post, especially with compressed video. I looked at the manual PDF and videos online but none seem to show that the K-01 has any settings like that.

03-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In case anyone still reads this thread: The K-30 is nowhere near as good for video as the K-5. It might sound better on paper, but in reality the 80 Mbps MJPEG the K-5 produces will hold up better in complex scenes with lots of detail and movement than the 20ish Mbps h264 the K-30 produces. The stabilizer in the K-5 works very well, on the level of decent camcorders with optical video stabilization, while the K-30 and K-01 stabilizer completely and utterly destroys the video. Turn it off, buy a rig. Or better yet, buy from a competing brand, cause if you're going to use a rig anyway, a Nikon D5300 for example will give you vastly improved video, heck, even the D3300 should be much better.

To date I'd say the best Pentaxes for video are the K-5/K-5 II(s).
03-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are there any controls for contrast/sharpness/etc? I've been watching a few test clips but they look very contrasty, .
You may have already found your answer by now, but for anyone reading and wondering the same thing, yes *Custom Picture Styles*. You have Contrast and Sharpness control right there. Also Hi/Low key control (see attached)

and that's not something you can just fix in post, especially with compressed video
Er.. yes, you can.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-30 is nowhere near as good for video as the K-5.
To date I'd say the best Pentaxes for video are the K-5/K-5 II(s).
From what I have seen, I have to agree and again from what I have seen, the K-5II(s) would be my choice if I was serious about using the best that Pentax can do with dslr video at this time. In fact, if the prices drop in Australia on the K-5II as have the US, then I'd seriously consider upgrading my K-7 to one instead of a K-3.
For video, I don't think the K-01 is a match for the K-5II by any stretch.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.