Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 04:14 AM   #1

K20D Mac compatibility?

Hello,

I'm a new K20D user (have come over from Canon) and I'm unable to get my PEF files to import into either iPhoto or Aperture 2. I have the latest versions, all updated. Am I doing something wrong? It's odd, as the previews work, but in iPhoto I just get a 'didn't import' message and in Aperture I get 'unsupported file format'. I'm sure DNG works fine, but I'm reluctant to use that as the K20D pumps out such large files already...

If anybody could help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suspect that Mac OS X does not yet support the PEF files created by the K20D, and that means that neither iPhoto nor Aperture would be able to read these files correctly. You will need to wait for an update from Apple. I believe that Apple provides support for various raw file formats as a feature of the operating system. (Adobe and other companies that make photo processing software provide support for raw files as updates to the programs themselves.)

You may have better luck if you shoot DNG, but perhaps not much better. The DNG files are also much larger and there mere size may matter. I use Light Crafts LightZone as well as Adobe Lightroom. Neither of these programs can read or display the PEF files from the K20D at all. LightZone will display the DNG's but not correctly; it shows a couple of odd bands or lines on the right side of each image--perhaps because its looking for an end-of-file marker at a certain position and the marker is in fact much later in the bigger file. Fortunately Adobe Lightroom can read the K20D's DNG files just fine.

You might want to install Pentax's own software and try using it until Apple gets out an update for this camera.

Will
03-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please don't ask Pentax-related questions in the site suggestions section- thread moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I have the K20 and my DNG files are working perfectly in Aperture 2 using the baseline DNG support. To combat the huge file size of the camera created DNG I run it through Adobe's free DNG converter, which compresses the file down to 10-15 MB. From there I import into A2 as normal, which for me means referencing the files on external drives since I have way more photos than my MBP's internal drive can support.

By the way, welcome to the group. I love the K20 and think you have chosen a great camera. Hopefully the next OS X update will add support for the PEF, but shooting DNG works in the mean time.

03-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Dave - I have to say, so far the K20D is kicking the backside off my old Canon 400D, which I only bought in December. Only weeks after buying the Canon I had to pay $650 to get it repaired after I took it to a humid rainforest north Australia and it started releasing the shutter when the power was off (somehow, some water must have got in, even though I packed it away the moment the rain started). It made me think "why didn't I buy the K10D with the weather sealed body?" (the reason I did it was that I stupidly let an aggressive saleswoman talk me out of it). Then I heard about the K20D and my credit card has just taken a hit that it's going to take months to recover from. The killer feature for me is the in-body anti-shake which, when combined with my new f1.4 lens, can cope incredibly in low light conditions. Me and Canon are through!
03-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

wstorr, you are quite welcome. I have had my K10 rained on many times and it just keeps on clicking. My K10 and K20 are getting along quite well and are looking forward to wedding season. Let the rain come!