Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Wedding

I sold my 5D Mark II and a Canon L lens, then bought a K-30 and a Fuji X100S. Just getting the wedding season started so I tried a couple different cameras throughout the day.
Penax K-30, X100s, Penax ME Super, Fujifilm GAi645, Mamiya 645AF, and Mamiya C330F. Trying to dial in a new kit and see what I like and don't like. The following shots were with the K-30 and M 50 1.7, except the altar shot was with the Arax 85 2.8 T/S. I tried the Pentax A 50 1.2 with some outside shots with the dress but serious chromo problems with that lens and weddings dresses, though it rocks on film. As far as reception shots and bounce flash I am loving the K-30 and don't miss my 5D Mark II. For available light shots I am missing the 5D Mark II a little, though I mainly shoot b&w film for getting ready shots and colored film for the rest of the day. Just needed some digital for super dark venues and receptions. I have the Canon Egs persision matte focusing screen installed on my K-30 from focusingscreen.com and the thing rocks if you are a lover of fast lenses.

05-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ok, first off, beautiful photos. Love the emotions you captured.

Now I love legacy glass and manual focusing can be a pleasure - when I have time that is. Is this slowdown in process a deliberate change in your creative process? And how do you manage all the different bodies?

Regardless, something must be working well for you - just curious why you're choosing to embrace so much legacy stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
05-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's awesome you're using film I'm in the same boat and just use the digital for tough shots.
How do you find the ME Super? Is it pretty easy to focus in lowlight and do you find the shutter loud?

Great images by the way. I'm sure your clients would be very happy.
05-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
ok, first off, beautiful photos. Love the emotions you captured.

Now I love legacy glass and manual focusing can be a pleasure - when I have time that is. Is this slowdown in process a deliberate change in your creative process? And how do you manage all the different bodies?

Regardless, something must be working well for you - just curious why you're choosing to embrace so much legacy stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Vagrant! Yup, just as you said it is a slowdown in process a deliberate change in creative process. It makes me slow down and think about each shot, and where I want to be when I think the moment will occur. Some people have it down and don't need to slow down but where I am at now with my photography it needs to happen. The manual focusing is not really an issue once you do it a lot. In a dark venue with dancing I actually prefer it because I don't have to wait for auto focus to maybe work For this wedding I was able to have my car parked really close so I could try different things out otherwise I would have just stuck to a simpler set up.
The Ona Bag...

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
That's awesome you're using film I'm in the same boat and just use the digital for tough shots.
How do you find the ME Super? Is it pretty easy to focus in lowlight and do you find the shutter loud?
Great images by the way. I'm sure your clients would be very happy.
Love the ME Super! My LX is getting new seals on it, so the ME Super is my backup. The shutter is nice and quite with the ME Super, the LX Is loud!

05-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dugrant: The ME Super is great at focusing but a little hard when it's really dark. I the SA-23 focusing screen in my LX and that is a bit better.
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
The Ona Bag...
i find it pretty "light" in fact : each body with only one lens, a flash, many rolls hidden (i guess).

seems that you don't need much more

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Yup, just as you said it is a slowdown in process a deliberate change in creative process
I find that you get some quite aweome result by this slowdown. i'm really impress each time with your shots. So ... don't speed up again !!
05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i find it pretty "light" in fact : each body with only one lens, a flash, many rolls hidden (i guess).

seems that you don't need much more

I find that you get some quite aweome result by this slowdown. i'm really impress each time with your shots. So ... don't speed up again !!
Thanks Aurele! I put all the film in that little side pouch. Once I figure out what I want for my main set up it should be pretty light.

06-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
RpM
Forum Member

Hi, great images posted here. I actually recently sold my Mk II as well and bought a Fuji XE1. They are really making some great cameras now. I am on the fence tho about either the K-5 II S or the K-30 (it's just such a good deal now). Just curious what made you go from the Canon to the K-30? Did you try the 5 as well? Thx.
06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're bad@$$ doing all that experimenting during the shoot. Nice results.