Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

HELP PLEASE!!!! pentax k100d

I have a manual Pentax 35MM camera with three different lenses. I recently updted to digital SLR pentax. I got pentax so i'd be able to use my lenses form my 35MM. When I put, let's say, my zoom lens from my manual camera it fits on my digital camera but when I take a picture it won't read! I know this is robalby a dumb question but I'm desperate I've been through every setting.... Please help. I need to know what I need to set my digital camera to to use my telephoto lens....

thanks

03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What are the lenses IDs?
Assuming they are manual lenses without an "A" on the aperture ring, you need to put camera into M mode, set aperture on the ring, focus, press AE-L to meter, then press shutter.

If they do have "A": set ring to "A", camera in Av mode, set aperture on the top LCD, focus, then shutter.

Oh by the way, if you press AE-L and nothing seems to happen you need to half press the shutter to "wake it up" first.

Last edited by Kguru; 03-12-2008 at 08:41 AM.
03-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also need to go to the menu under custom settings and look for allow aperture ring. Set it to 'allow' and any older lens will work.
There is some limited functions with older lenses and refer to page 188 of the manual
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you so much!!!! I have a wedding in two days and need the telephoto lens!! can't tell you how greatful I am. thanks.

03-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

OK. In keeping with this train of thought, I have the K10D and use some old manual focus lenses with it. I know that when using these older lenses you have to input a focal length in order for the image stabilisation to be effective. Do you input the focal length listed on the lens or the focal length corrected with the multiplier for the APS-C size sensor? Also, when using a zoom lens I just set a focal length midway between the extremes for that lens. Is this the correct approach? Thanks in advance for any advice.
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dhulsmeyer Quote
Do you input the focal length listed on the lens or the focal length corrected with the multiplier for the APS-C size sensor?
Use the actual focal length printed on the lens, no multiplication needed, focal length stays the same regardless of the sensor size, only filed of view changes, and this does not affect shake reduction.
QuoteOriginally posted by dhulsmeyer Quote
Also, when using a zoom lens I just set a focal length midway between the extremes for that lens. Is this the correct approach?
It is best to use the actual focal length you are using. That way you get best shake reduction.
I would not advise to use anything longer than you will actually use, because then you will get more shake just because the shake reduction system is overcompensating.
Use the minimum focal length you are going to use, that way you will not make things worse in any case. Also changing the setting is very quick and easy - just press Menu, UP arrow, OK and you are in the focal length selection menu.
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Cool. Thanks for that quick and easy answer/solution!
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once again, please don't post Pentax questions in the site suggestions forum. Thread moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you are shooting wedding in two days, I would advise to stick with your film body. This way you are already familiar with settings, lenses and metering. It will elminate any possible surprises with the new setup.
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
If they do have "A": set ring to "A", camera in Av mode, set aperture on the top LCD, focus, then shutter.
My 50/1.4 is set to the A setting but I use it in M mode. Is that ok? I've never used Av or Tv.
03-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Of course! Works like any other modern (post-M) lens as the camera body can read the f-stop from the lens (via the "A" contacts)

QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
My 50/1.4 is set to the A setting but I use it in M mode. Is that ok? I've never used Av or Tv.