Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
My K20D is still worth keeping, so I guess my answer would be that it is still worth buying. I will not let that camera go until it dies. And if it ever quits, I would replace it. I love the sensor on this camera, and it is such a reliable performer (and sturdy!) I love to pick it up and use it. I use it mostly for indoor work now, although I would have no hesitation in taking it outside in any weather. You can use a flash with it with no problems.

The K20D will put a really big smiley face on you once you put better quality glass on it. The camera is just a mount, really, and the glass is what counts.

EDIT: I have to confess though that I haven't met a camera that I didn't like. I have two Pentaxes and two Canons and I am fully satisfied with all of them. As long as you put fine quality lenses on the front, any of them will perform beautifully. I guess I am just very promiscuous.
I have no doubt that it's worth keeping. I think I would just question buying one today as an upgrade from a K100D unless one had very limited finances and needed a second body. Used K5's are already in the Marketplace for $500 and possibly under. I haven't been following much.

I keep all my cameras too.

06-06-2013, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Big +1 from me! I love my K-5 but still miss the K20D's form factor.
Me to.

I am getting use to my K5 and don't pick up the K20D much. But when I do pick up the K20D I still have to say it feels better and easier to operate. And that is with grip on both. For me the K20D is perfect. Why? My fingers sit perfect with it. With the K5 and grip my pinky still has no natural feeling sitting place. I have to squeeze it up or let it set over the grip. Neither is natural like the K20D.

A K20D is worth buying if you like it for your own personal reasons. It has 14.6mp so it was ahead of the game when it came out. And is staying fit for duty because of it for a long time. I used it for over four years and almost 60,000 shots. Still have it. Not for sale though
06-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I didn't sell my K-20D, I let my sister borrow it. In good light, there's nothing wrong with it. When you need dynamic range, say for a sunset or sunrise, it's just not capable. You can't pull up the shadows like you can on a K-5. I shot with my K-20D for months after the wife got a K-5, and got a lot of great shots with us. A few side by side sunset shots where her shots came out awesome, and I didn't get anything useful by comparison ended it's time with us.
06-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can't pull up the shadows like you can on a K-5. I shot with my K-20D for months after the wife got a K-5, and got a lot of great shots with us. A few side by side sunset shots where her shots came out awesome, and I didn't get anything useful by comparison ended it's time with us.
On the K20D, you can do exposure bracketing and HDR blending to do this. I've gotten good sunset/sunrise photos by doing this. Sunset/sunrise photo generally need a good tripod, GND filters, etc...

06-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I used my K20D for portrait and studio shooting with strobes, I did (and still do) believe it is better than my K5 for this purpose. Hard to define, but the images from the K20D always pleased me much more than my K5. Over time I have shifted to the K5, but would not hesitate to go back to my K20D. It was a great camera for me, good enough that I still have it as a backup and would hate to part with it.

Regards!
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I used my K20D for portrait and studio shooting with strobes, I did (and still do) believe it is better than my K5 for this purpose. Hard to define, but the images from the K20D always pleased me much more than my K5
Have you ever done comparison photos from both?
Curious what you mean by this...
06-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

It's still a great camera. Worth buying now? - I don't know. For the price of a K5 or a K20D I'd probably buy a K5, now anyway, not upon release though.

Personally owning the K20D since release I've never really wanted to upgrade to the K5 - just not that much of a justifiable cost over improvement imo. Shooting landscapes - alot in low light, the K20D is fine.

Waiting for the next gen Pentax announcement myself over the k5 (when that finally comes) to upgrade the K20D, and the k20d will make a great back up

Last edited by jenko; 06-11-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling