Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, I sent my K10D in to have the focus adjusted........

......I then recieved an estimate of $252, $108 for parts, and the rest is labor and shipping. Soo I call to see what parts are being replaced and why. The camera was working fine, focusing quick, just a tendency to back focus. The problem really only was evident when shooting wide open (2.8 and wider). Otherwise the back focus didnt show as bad when the lens was stopped down past 4.0. It would still back focus but the increased depth of field would get the subject mostly in focus. Anything past 5.6 and the subject was focused. I figured a little adjustment by a qualified tech and I would be good to go. Afterall, back focusing has been an issue I've seen on this site realitively often. So three days, three phone calls, and an email later, I still dont know what parts are being replaced and why. The first guy i talked to said he would have his supervisor get ahold of me. Still havent heard from a supervisor. I should've just hacked the firmware and adjusted it myself. I dont want to bash Pentax or sound like a complainer but, this is not what i expected.

Last edited by reknelb; 03-12-2008 at 04:24 PM.
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally recieved an email from the supervisor.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

I asked the person you originally spoke to call you back in regards to this.
I am sorry if he did not.

The document you received was a general estimate.
We estimate the cost to repair the camera, and we repair it at that price no
matter what we actually have to do to fix it.

A tech has not yet actually taken the camera apart completely to be sure what
needs to be replaced.
Our technician's guess is that the camera needs to have several things on it
recalibrated and if that fails then the CCD will need to be replaced.

The cost will be the same regardless of what we actually do, even though if they
did replace the CCD it should cost more than the current estimate.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call
our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

So let me get this straight: They quote you $108 for parts, but then if all the camera needs is some recalibration they'll still charge you $108 for parts even though they didn't use any?

I've heard of other people sending their cameras off for $50 or so, what's up with your case? Is the camera no longer under warranty?
03-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats right, camera is no longer under warranty. I feel like I'm dealing with a used car lot.

03-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

but on the other hand, if it is something more major, you get the better still. but still, why not wait until it's been reasonably troubleshooted (is that a word?) before giving an estimate. knock on wood, i've never had to send a camera in for service in 27 years off and on of shooting pentax cameras
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

yeah, good deal IF the sensor was replaced, however our minds don't work like that!

I had a similar experience with a handheld GPS a few years ago. It stopped working and I called the company and they had a similar policy... $XXX to fix regardless of the problem. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it turned out) the $ involved would have just about bought me a new one so I declined. One day I was reading a geocaching forum and someone had a similar problem and had found a cure. With a special screwdriver ($5) you could open it up and replace an internal battery that had gone flat. I did that and it's been running sweetly for several years since! (I still want a new one though!)
03-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wish someone made some software to hack the focus settings so that we could do our own auto-focus calibration. I understand that there are 4 settings to calibrate at different focal lengths? With a few prime, fast lenses and a news paper, we could do our own calibration without sending the thing in!

I have to send mine in for a back-focus problem. I just discovered it when I received my 31mm Limited.
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
I wish someone made some software to hack the focus settings so that we could do our own auto-focus calibration. I understand that there are 4 settings to calibrate at different focal lengths? With a few prime, fast lenses and a news paper, we could do our own calibration without sending the thing in!

I have to send mine in for a back-focus problem. I just discovered it when I received my 31mm Limited.
There is a hack for this, but you need to downgrade your firmware to v1.1 I think. Search on Google, you'll find it explained in a number of places. Many people have done this already.

03-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #9
Forum Member

imgine your computer service shop doing that....

yes sire it 500$ to fix your computer blah blah blah....

crazy....