Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ordered a D-7100, having second thoughts now...

So I had some Amazon GCs lying around, and ordered a D7100 with them, thinking that I would be able to shoot two systems simultaneously by liquidating some lenses form my Pentax lineup and getting one or two good ones for the Nikon, specifically the 16-85 and a >100mm prime.

However, she who holds the purse strings specifically said that if there is a second DSLR body in the house, she will hit me over the head with it. So I looked around and sent her some videos comparing the K-5 IIs and the D7100.

She is a Canikon fan, as all our relatives/friends have Nikon or (mostly) Canon, but has promised to look at the K-5IIs.. we have a fast-moving 1.5 year old, and the K-x AF struggles to keep up with her. If she is convinced, would the K-5 IIs really be a good upgrade in terms of AF speed and points over the K-x? Man, that D7100 AF system looks tempting - we have a friend with a D4, and if it's anything like that...wow!

Main subjects are landscape, general walkaround and family snapshots. I don't shoot birds too often, and I don't do sports...yet.

What to do? If she agrees, should I just return the D7100? I have a decent collection of glass (in sig), and do not want to break my head replicating this in the Nikon lineup.. will cost too much money. Besides, I love the smexy feel of the A50/1.2...

05-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you pair it with the right lenses the K-5 IIs may do the job - specifically, screw-mount primes like the FA135 or FA*85 work well for me. I'm not sure how the DA70/FA77 or DA*55 might do - I sold the FA77 when I got the FA*85, and I haven't owned the other two. DA*50-135 is still an excellent lens, but doesn't have fast enough AF for photographing most sports, for example.

Even with Nikon you'll have to take care which lenses you choose - perhaps many do well (I've not owned Nikon) but a few primes I tried when considering a Nikon were reasonably fast focusing while others were not. This was just before I bought K-5 IIs instead, and it's just enough better than K-5 in AF to be worth the upgrade (or 2nd body in my case). I haven't had my K-x since the K-5 came out, but it should be an even more worthwhile upgrade from it.

The latest version of the Sigma 70-200 you have has very good AF speed too - many Pentaxian Sports photographers are using it.

Last edited by DSims; 05-30-2013 at 01:50 AM.
05-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I know the performance of K5 IIs in low light is phenomenal if comapred to older generation cameras from Pentax - so I'd definitely consider an upgreade instead of change systems. But wait for someone with actual experience of both.
05-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

First of all, I think it is not exactly correct to say that AF depends only on camera. When talking about AF speed, you should think about it as a system, camera + lens.
With bright and fast focusing lens most cameras will focus quick and accurate in good light. No big deal. What is really important is how this system can handle low light. At least at this moment, there is no better APS-C camera that can handle low light than K5II/s.

05-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
First of all, I think it is not exactly correct to say that AF depends only on camera. When talking about AF speed, you should think about it as a system, camera + lens.
With bright and fast focusing lens most cameras will focus quick and accurate in good light. No big deal. What is really important is how this system can handle low light. At least at this moment, there is no better APS-C camera that can handle low light than K5II/s.
While it may be true that the K5ii/s can handle truly lower light focusing, how low of light would you realistically be taking family/portrait photos? Now, I will concede that I haven't tried out the K5ii/s, but what I can say is this: my D600, which is Nikon's last gen AF compared to the D7100, is leaps and bounds faster than my K-5 was. Not only that, but the 3d AF tracking is basically another world of focus that Pentax just doesn't even compete with. For me, Pentax AF advancement has always been incremental - yes, it has gotten better with each generation of camera, but never jaw droppingly so (and my Pentax camera body ownership runs the gamut). So unless the K-5ii/s is outside of their normal incremental improvements for AF, I can't imagine how it would compete with the D7100. Given the camera is being purchased to be used for family/child photos, I think that bears a huge weight on the OPs next camera purchase decision. It is a tough decision to make, bottom line! Some nice affordable lenses like the 85mm 1.8g for example make it even tougher.

Edit to the OP (after reading through what you've got in your signature!): My honest advice would be keep the K-x, keep the A series lenses, and the manual lenses since you can't replace those with the Nikon. All of the modern lenses you've got, Nikon (or the same 3rd parties) have the exact same lenses available - and at generally cheaper prices. Because the Sigmas and Tamrons have a much larger volume of lenses out in the marketplace, used copies sell significantly cheaper (and more often) than they do in K mount - that has been my experience. For instance, I had the tamron 300mm f2.8 360b manual focus lens, and was able to replace it with the AF nikon version for what amounted to a swap after I sold the old MF lens. And, would you believe me if I told you I picked up a tamron 70-210mm f2.8 on ebay just this week for a whopping $160? (an older 90s version of the lens to be sure, but for the price how could I not give it a try). You can also pick up the tokina equivalents of the 16-50 and 50-135 for reasonable amounts, among a host of other lenses - there is simply more support from 3rd parties, and I've got to be honest, Nikon's backward compatibility might not be as extended as Pentax, but it is pretty good in its own right.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 05-30-2013 at 08:58 AM.
05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One question I have is - are you intending to take pictures of your kid while he is running around and not noticing your camera? The k-5II is definitely better suited for indoor stealth photography, as it is quieter than the D7100, and it can shoot in dimmer conditions without activating the focus lamp - while the D7100 may have to do so. I know that the focus lamp can be pretty bright, and while it is not a problem for people who know you are taking pictures - it can be something to consider.
05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To your essential questions:
  • Is the K-5II a significant upgrade in AF and ISO performance over the K-x? Having owned both - YES.
  • Can you get the old glass in Nikon - no not really.
  • Should you return the Nikon and get the K-5/II/IIs - your call but the II & IIs can handle lower light, are faster in AF by a good margin over the K-x, and use all your K mount lenses.

05-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Digital rev's review said that the AF, in general use, function about the same. (they compared these two)
05-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think either camera would be fine. Honestly, I have three kids -- 2, 4 and 6 years of age and have original K5s and have no trouble at all taking photos of them, whether it be running around, sitting still, whatever. D7100 probably is faster, depending on the lens, but I feel like the K5 II would probably be fast enough.
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

How else would you be able to tell which camera you like better without trying each/both?
06-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

from many review and youtube video. we can say they are equal good in focus in everyday use. many say pentax may has edge in low ligt focus.
06-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
Ordered a D-7100, having second thoughts now...
Buyers remorse is a terrible thing and affects as all at times.

But mines actually called guilt when I've just bought something new.
06-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^Heh! Going to keep the D7100 + a cheapie Tamron 17-50/2.8 and check out the body before I take the plunge and liquidate some more lenses.
06-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Do you have rental stores out there? Do a weekend rental of the K-5II. That's one way to know for sure since you already have the D7100.
06-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
...we have a fast-moving 1.5 year old, and the K-x AF struggles to keep up with her.
I normally recommend the K-5 II over the D7100 but if you are after fast AF, I'd keep the D7100.

The K-5 II's AF is very accurate even in extremely low light, but its continuous AF is nowhere near as good as that of the D7100.