Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe how often I see this. Someone switching brands because their consumer camera from two generations ago isn't as good as someone else's top of the line pro-model. Hopefully joe.penn will weigh in, I think he's gone to a Nikon D7100 and last time I heard he was in camera heaven over it. You might want to drop him a PM and see if he's changed his mind or could offer any insight. I think he was impressed with the additional resolution for large prints... but he might have an opinion on the autofocus as well.

For myself, I wouldn't be taking advice from someone who doesn't own both cameras. And I definitely wouldn't be owning two cameras with the same format, unless one was something like the Sigma DP2 merril with a different sensor. My advice would be pick one and live with your decision. If you can send the 7100 back, use it for a week then decide. I have to laugh at the "cheap" comment beside the Tamron 17-50. Look it up on photozone or DxO. That lens stacks up with the best.

06-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh no Norm, Tamron 17-50 cheapie in terms of price - I got a slightly used Non-VC, non-Motor one for ~150USD..
06-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

You didn't buy the lens, you stole it...
06-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus speed is important, but to me it's not as vital as IQ. Take a look at the K-5ii and D7100 Studio Shot Comparison: Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

06-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hopefully joe.penn will weigh in, I think he's gone to a Nikon D7100 and last time I heard he was in camera heaven over it. You might want to drop him a PM and see if he's changed his mind or could offer any insight. I think he was impressed with the additional resolution for large prints... but he might have an opinion on the autofocus as well.
Yes, I am still shooting with the D7100 (and a K5) . First, you really can't go wrong with either body, both bodies are great choices.

I purchased a D7100 for the following reasons:

- The very feature rich AF system
- The extra MP
- Long lens availability (both used and new)

When I purchased the D7100 I had no clue what to expect as I was an early purchaser (my first digital nikon purchase also), purchased it pre-order before the body came out so I had no clue how IQ, sharpness or anything else was going to be with the body; I purchased it solely on the specifications. Thus far, it has been a winner for me - true "from the field and out of the camera" IQ is fantastic and sharpness when paired with great glass is outstanding. One of my biggest struggles with it when I first got it was learning and getting used to the enormous amount of features, it took me over a month to really learn the body inside and out and figure out all of the different features it had to offer.

Now, on to this:
QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
Main subjects are landscape, general walkaround and family snapshots. I don't shoot birds too often, and I don't do sports...yet.
Birds and Sports is really where the D7100 shines and really what Nikon developed this body for (hence the massive advertising campaigns they implemented referencing birds and sports). When comparing the two bodies side by side there is just no comparison at all when the intended use is for birding and sports. Now, landscape, general walkaround and family snapshots is another thing; I use my K5 for exactly those things because it is a lighter setup and my 43ltd is just awesome.

If you are moving up from a Kx (which I burned through a couple of those) I think your best bet would be the K5IIs, totally night and day difference between the two (actually it is a night and day difference between the Kx and the regular K5) - get a 43ltd to marry with it and you should be in heaven for a while, at least until you get into heavy birding and sports.
06-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Birds and Sports is really where the D7100 shines
The small buffer doesn't cause you any problems here? Do you shoot JPEGs for sports, or is it a non issue?
06-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The small buffer doesn't cause you any problems here? Do you shoot JPEGs for sports, or is it a non issue?
Brent, no problem at all - I shoot raw for everything. I have never been a shutter-gunner, I have my shutter programmed for 3fps. For some it may be an issue but for me a non issue, I may shoot maybe a total of 5 frames when shooting a bird in motion.

06-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too late
Bit on the D7100+a lightly used 70-200VR1 and the Tamron 17-50. The camera should reach me this weekend.
06-17-2013, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Yes, I am still shooting with the D7100 (and a K5) .

Birds and Sports is really where the D7100 shines and really what Nikon developed this body for (hence the massive advertising campaigns they implemented referencing birds and sports). When comparing the two bodies side by side there is just no comparison at all when the intended use is for birding and sports. Now, landscape, general walkaround and family snapshots is another thing; I use my K5 for exactly those things because it is a lighter setup and my 43ltd is just awesome.

If you are moving up from a Kx (which I burned through a couple of those) I think your best bet would be the K5IIs, totally night and day difference between the two (actually it is a night and day difference between the Kx and the regular K5) - get a 43ltd to marry with it and you should be in heaven for a while, at least until you get into heavy birding and sports.
I like your post and I 100% agree with it Joe. I do use the K-5 with a Sigma 500mm F/4.5. It is a hell of a combo. There is a guy around here who has handed my a$$ to me with his D800 or D4 with his 500mm F/4 with birds flying at high speeds around eye level. I have seen incredible flight shots from Nikon and some like I have never seen on the internet. Other than that I can duplicate what those Nikonians do with my combo. My camera is about half the cost of theirs. I think of switching sometimes but I do like some of the features that I have and I would lose them by switching. Light weight, SR and the well designed K-5 body would be the main things. Almost all my photos of birds here were taken with that combo:

Flickriver: Andrew's Wildlife (Taking time off)'s most interesting photos
06-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Excellent portfolio Andrew! Love the "Birds w/ Prey" shots!!!
06-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I like your post and I 100% agree with it Joe. I do use the K-5 with a Sigma 500mm F/4.5. It is a hell of a combo. There is a guy around here who has handed my a$$ to me with his D800 or D4 with his 500mm F/4 with birds flying at high speeds around eye level. I have seen incredible flight shots from Nikon and some like I have never seen on the internet. Other than that I can duplicate what those Nikonians do with my combo. My camera is about half the cost of theirs. I think of switching sometimes but I do like some of the features that I have and I would lose them by switching. Light weight, SR and the well designed K-5 body would be the main things. Almost all my photos of birds here were taken with that combo:

Flickriver: Andrew's Wildlife (Taking time off)'s most interesting photos
Next time I hear someone saying "You cannot do birds with Pentax", I'll show them your work!
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Next time I hear someone saying "You cannot do birds with Pentax", I'll show them your work!
I'm not switching anytime soon. I have to many other expenses. I do like hand holding this combo. The sigma lens by itself is almost seven pounds and it doesn't exhaust me out in the field. Anything heavier starts to wear me down.

I wish Pentax would offer a 24 megapixel camera with over 20 autofocus points more optimized to track a moving subject. I did read a rumor that Nikon and Sony made a six month deal to keep that sensor between their own APS-C cameras. I don't know if they extended the deal. They were probably a little embarrassed the K-5 scored higher than their cameras with the same sensor.

My bigma is under service right now. It was giving me some autofocus problems because of an inexact mount and that was effecting my flight shots. I am going to order lens align and a new monopod head called Mh-01 from Really Right Stuff. These are some of the tools the Nikon guy uses to get his shots. Hopefully it will be like I have a new camera.
06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Excellent portfolio Andrew! Love the "Birds w/ Prey" shots!!!
Thanks, I think if Pentax can just modify their autofocus and make it a little more optimized for moving subjects, the Bigma + K-5 would give Nikon/Canon a run for their money for half the price. It's not that I can't get birds in flight with the camera. I would think there is money to be made not with big lenses but if they can get rid of the perception that it can't be done.