Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

My Camera is ready for its 100,000-mile checkup (Advice needed)

I have a couple of camera bodies that are approaching that magical 100K shutter count (K-7, K-x). Are there instructions (I can't find any in the Forums) for sending a camera to Pentax (or to whomever) for its 100,000-mile checkup/maintenance?

Besides offering an address for sending the camera, I would also be interesting in comments about:
  • How to package/insure the item
  • What services I should request
  • How much should I expect to pay?
  • How long should I expect to wait for the camera to come back?

Any help is appreciated.

ctm

05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not aware of any sort of required maintenance at a certain shutter count. It's not a car; you don't have to replace the timing belt or anything.

The manufacturer expects the shutter to last at least 100,000 clicks, but it will probably last much longer than that.

You've heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Your cameras are fine. Enjoy!
05-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you have the extended warranty, I think you get a free checkup before it expires, but if nothing is wrong I'd wait until the time was about to run out rather than at a predetermined shutter count...
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can ask CRIS all those questions:
Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services - Pentax Camera Repair

05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't say what country you are in.......but if you are in the US, Doc's post above is the best way to go.

When they recieve your camera, they will give it a full check up and do any adjustments needed to bring it back to factory specs. If any additional repairs are needed, they will contact you about it and only proceed if you approve.

For packing - if I am sending in a camera only for repair, I like to put it in an old camera bag that the camera fits snugly. Then use lots of packing material/newspaper around the camera bag so it is well cushioned on all sides. Then, again if you are in the US, just take it to the post office and send it off via Priority Mail with insurance.

It's hard to tell how much you will pay - any work to be done on the camera will be quoted to you. If there are no repairs or parts needed, their turn around time is ~2 weeks.