Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

problem with underexposure

hi all,
I am new here. I purchase my k10d 4 months ago and have really enjoyed it. Today It started underexposing everything. Shooting into the sun with an F8 and 1/250 looks extreamly dark (only see a dim sun). Flash exposures are black. Is there some setting I hit that would cause this? The green mode is doing this also. I am stumped and would greatly appriciate any input. I have a photography trip this sunday and was hoping to have an operable camera.

thanks,
js5

03-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My *ist DL did this. After nearly 6-months of stuffing around with warranty I cut my losses and went to the K10D. They replaced the main circuit board and said it was fine, yet couldn't explain why 1/180, f/8 was darker than 1/180, f/32.

Good luck.
03-17-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What lens are you using? Make sure it is attached fully. Try also cleaning the contacts on the lens mount (both lens and camera).

How is your battery charge? I have found the K10D will start to do so really funky things when the battery is about to die. If the battery charge is good (don't go by the charge meter in the camera, it is highly inaccurate) try removing the battery for at least 24 hours. This should reset the camera to default settings. If that doesn't help, I'm sorry to say you will most likely need to send it to Pentax for service.
03-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Similar Experiences..

QuoteOriginally posted by joaosoares5 Quote
hi all,
I am new here. I purchase my k10d 4 months ago and have really enjoyed it. Today It started underexposing everything. Shooting into the sun with an F8 and 1/250 looks extreamly dark (only see a dim sun). Flash exposures are black. Is there some setting I hit that would cause this? The green mode is doing this also. I am stumped and would greatly appriciate any input. I have a photography trip this sunday and was hoping to have an operable camera.

thanks,
js5
My experience has been that when my Pentax DSLRs were new, they exposed a little bit brighter. But after a year or so, exposure came out to be darker, generally speaking. This holds true for my *ist D, *ist DS and now my K100D. The differences were not as significant as you told us for yours, though.

03-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with roscot if this is something that just started happening. I have heard of people suddenly having exposure problems if they just changed a lens and it wasn't seated properly.
03-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

First I've heard of this. None of the bodies I've owned have been perfect but, Their exposure tendencies have remained consistent over time.
03-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have 2 K10D bodies. One consistently underexposes shots and the other works flawlessly. You are not alone.
03-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Inactive Account

With "PENTAX REMOTE Assistant" ver. 3.01, free download from a Pentax site, check if the EV is +_ 0. Is very possibile that is set to -1 or -2 EV !!! If is -1 or 2 EV correct it to 0.
K10D must be attach to computer through a USB cable.

Go in and win !
Alex