Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Older Pentax Bodies

Hi all... I am new to the Pentax Digital Camera world... But I am not new to Digital Cameras or photography... I recently had to dump all my gear and now am starting to rebuild a system. I decided to pick up a very inexpensive *ist DL body and 18-55 DA lens. Realizing the body is older, I just wanted to see if I liked the Pentax in general. And I do. I decided to go to Pentax for the quality of the lenses and the compactness of the bodies.

So here is the question! I am going to do event work, such as weddings and parties. I want a body that will do decent images upto 1000iso or so... I want a body that will allow for a battery grip (for longer shooting time and vertical handling)... And I need to keep the costs in the $300-$350 range for the body as I also have some lenses I wish to get (that being for another thread!). Oh! I am not a videographer, but a photographer so video is not needed.

When I look at reviews I certainly get confused with the body choices. So far I think either the 200d or 20d make sense. But I am not sure, I would love some input from others. I won't be purchasing until the first of July and am using June to research.

I am sure this has been asked a million times, and I appreciate all input.

05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbmax Quote
I want a body that will do decent images upto 1000iso or
I am more sensitive to high ISO noise than some but I doubt any of the old bodies would give me acceptable 1000 ISO shots. Are these paid gigs or just you attending and taking snapshots? If you expect to be paid the level of quality required goes up quite a bit.

Personally I think you are not going to find what you need at that price point but that's just my opinion. Good Luck!
05-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
Paid shoots... what or which bodies are you suggesting?
05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Well, like I said I am hyper sensitive to noise but I rarely if ever go over 800 on my k-5. YMMV of course. And your level of noise tolerance and your skills at PP will also determine what you need.

If it was me, I would be looking at k-5, maybe k-7 though it was not noted as being a great high ISO performer. But wait until you get some more answers or try to look at some sample shots. Lots of folks on here shoot at much higher ISOs than I do. For what I do any noise is pretty much a no go.

k-30 would also be worth a look but no grip for it so that might not work for you.

You might also think about flash and how that changes things. I don't know any wedding photographers that would shoot without a good flash system.

05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks... and I guess I should say I would be shooting with flash quite a bit... but in the sense of a body, I would like the noise to be acceptable up to the 800-1000 range. But 90% of the wedding work would be either 200 or 400... and when needed pushed to 800... I appreciate the input... Yes I really liked the K30, but I know "me" and I like having a grip. Using the ist with out a grip proves to me that is important...
05-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Yes I really liked the K30, but I know "me" and I like having a grip. Using the ist with out a grip proves to me that is important...
Pentax gets praised for small compact bodies but if you have big hands sometimes they are too small. The grip does make a difference to many. I don't have one but I use a tripod more often than not so it isn't as big a deal for me.

Hopefully someone will stop by with more experience with 200d and 20d than I have.
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 200d I may be able to check out next week at the higher iso...what lens and distance would you like shot if you want it checked out
05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
suggest you read following:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/226384-k20d-still-...ml#post2403386

05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
DMS based on your comments in that posting the K20d would be suitable... PEARSAAB the low light I am thinking of is in the Church where one would need to work with a fast prime and higher ISO... such as a F1.4 or F1.8 shooting at ISO 800... such as in a church. As much as the K5 seems very good, I just can't invest the $500-$600 that it seems to command on eBay. I am attracted to the K200d but I am guessing from what I am reading in the reviews, the K20d would be a better choice.
05-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter

Obviously I think the K20d is great--and for church photos the iso 800-1600 will be fine, and the better SR allows handheld at 1/10s w/ 200mm lens--but I have a very steady stance), and the shutter is relatively quiet. But it is a a large chunky camera--and I believe one gets significantly higher success with a camera that feels right. For me I never held another digital camera that felt right. The K20d does. But if you are leaning to the 200d then maybe a large body is not what you want. Try to find it or the K10d to see how it feels. (K10d is essentially same body--but likely not good at higher iso--and the e.v. adjust is not available on M mode.) I found the screen for the ist d to be a good replacement.

BTW for the kind of work (churches--low light but able to move around) I suggest pentax: 50mm f1.7 (M)--unbelievable bargain/ very good wide open. Also the (K SMC) 135mm f2.5. For the quality another bargain. I have the (K) 35mm f2 which is good but not in the same league--and more costly. I would think the (A) 20mm f2.8 would be another strong candidate--I am looking for this lens. Hope you don't mind my suggestions on the lenses. And you may know more...
05-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I suppose you want a viewfinder. But I wonder if the K-01 might deliver the quality you want at the price point for which you are looking.
05-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter

Again I would emphasize--since you are leaning towards compact camera (which is of course what Pentax is famous for if one excludes MF)--you really need to hold a K10d/K20d. Because it really is a pretty large camera (for a Pentax!).
05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I took the iso up to 1600 at weddings with the k20. Noise reduction in Lightroom helps when and if you need to go up that high and that should be rare since you mentioned using flash. Some nice fast primes and you will be good....until you can buy the latest and greatest.

I used the k20 with the grip. I didn't feel that the grip was a necessity on the k20, but it was a nice balance. On the k5, I really can't shoot without the grip because it is too small. The battery life was much better with the grip too.
05-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Yes I really liked the K30, but I know "me" and I like having a grip. Using the ist with out a grip proves to me that is important...
Is the primary purpose of the grip to make the body larger and/or to add weight to reduce movement during handheld shots? If so, it shouldn't be at all difficult for anyone who works with wood to make a grip for the K-30.
05-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-x & K-r both have excellent high ISO performance. Quite a bit better than either the 200D or 20D, and reportedly only slightly less than the K-5.

A K-x is available used for around $250, and the K-r is around $300. Personally, I'd go for the K-x. It doesn't suffer from the mirror flap issue that occasionally plagues the K-r.