Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You just saved me hours!

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn:
...Bridge CS3 will add it while they are getting the images off my card so I don't even have to type anything.
File this under "I didn't know that they could do that!", or "You learn something new every day." In the past, I've used ACDSee 7.0 to add copyright information to each and every image, (that leaves my computer), and it is a painstaking task, modifying each image separately.

I use a drag-n-drop method of moving my images from the SD card to the winchester, so don't use the Bridge method when copying images. But, once on the hard disk, just open one image in the folder in Bridge, Ctrl-A to select all of the images in that folder, type in the copyright notice in the appropriate box, and fill in any other boxes you desire, such as "Artist", and press the "apply" button.

Works like a charm in CS2 Bridge. Only glitch is that ACDSee displays an additional ASCII character just before the little 'C in a circle' copyright mark. I'll have to work on that one to figure out how to delete that non-printing character.

Thanks for the tip. You did litteraly save me hours of mindless 'work'.

01-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Interesting summary of everybodies wish list. What I really like is the hot pixel re-mapping and 4 or 5 fps burst mode. I was told (by Pentax district marketing-type reps) that 5fps was not possible due to the architecture of the dual channel internal processor. But, I forgot about the internal buffer. Just store the raw data in there until it can be processed and pushed through the pipe. Sounds like an option.

Two other things I'd really like to see is an autofocus version of the Rear Converter-A lenses (teleconverters). 1.4x would be fine, but must have that Pentax quality and SMC coating. Bet they'd sell a lot of those.

And, I'd really like to see their programmers reduce the size of the DNG files from the K10D. No reason for them being so big. You can always run them through Bridge/ACR to re-save them as DNG files, and reduce the size by about 35%-40%. That would be an easy firmware 'fix'. I see it as just something that needed to be done, but they didn't want to hold up release. Surely, we can expect such an update in a future firmware release.
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steven, batch copyrighting is the only way to go. Not all apps do it yet, but I bet they will soon.

The problem with the two channel system is that the information doesn't get off of the CCD in time for the next shot if the fps is too high. Kind of like emptying a bucket of water by putting holes in it, more holes equals faster dumping. the D200 uses 4 channels so the CCD is cleared faster, allowing it to be ready for the next frame faster. It is not the processor that needs clearing, it is the CCD.

Compressed DNG in camera would be very nice. I think someone on another forum mentioned that it may slow the buffer down, meaning that it takes less time to just write the 16mb file than it does to compress it and write the smaller file. Tough call, which do we give up if that is the case? Pentax may figure that since memory is so cheap now that speed is more important. Just a guess.
01-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I don't know my k10 well enough to even know what some of these wishes mean, but the things I would like to see change are

even though the screen is big and bright, I still would like to see more pixels so I can judge if the shot has some blur to the edges (can't really tell until I open it up in photoshop)

It would be nice for the option to have the bottom information in the view finder in "real time" like my old SLR.....plus the option to have it stay on longer. I get kind of get tired of pushing the shutter button half way to see the info, and it goes away almost right away.

Some way to calibrate the back LCD screen. I know it is just a preview, but the option to adjust it to look closer to the exposure and colors on a monitor would be nice.

When photoshop reads the DNG raw file, it takes the information from the camera and uses it to display the photo in adobe camera raw.

If the WB is almost correct in auto when displayed with photoshop raw plug-in (mine have been this way), why can't the software in the camera, when it converts to .jpg do the same?

I don't quite understand..... the "correct" WB setting is already tagged with the photo file, why can't the internal software for Jpg conversion do the same?
when I use raw+jpg with indoor lighting, the raw version is correct WB and the jpg photo is yellow

the ability to shoot "tetherd" (is that the term?)

cheers

randy

01-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Randy, I think there is a way to set the time out setting to none so that the viewfinder info stays on.

The reason the image on the LCD doesn't look like the one in Photoshop is because the one on the LCD is a jpeg, not the RAW image. It's the jpeg that is embedded into the RAW file and has been processed so it won't look the same as the RAW. It would be awesome if it would look like the actual file, but I don't think I will hold my breath.

I want tethered too. I had it with my *istD, but didn't use it much because it was only USB1.0 and was too slow getting the image to the computer. If I could shoot tethered with the K10 for my portrait shoots it would be awesome.

WB is the thorn in my side. No matter how much work I do to get it right in camera I almost always end up correcting it in PS. Oh, well. Some day.
01-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
File this under "I didn't know that they could do that!", or "You learn something new every day." In the past, I've used ACDSee 7.0 to add copyright information to each and every image, (that leaves my computer), and it is a painstaking task, modifying each image separately.

I think most of the current Raw workflow solutions can do this. Lightroom adds copyright to all my images now when I load the images. And one of the other fantastic features of Lightroom (and other programs) is that I can apply settings to lots of photos at once. So, if I've got twenty shots taken at the same time in the same lighting conditions, I do not have to spend time fixing each one. I fix ONE, then "sync" the others to that model.

Will
01-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I add IPTC copyright info to all my files and it would be cool to have the camera do it for me, but how? Do they add an alphabetic keypad to the camera?.
You could probably do it the same way we set the date on the camera. Left and right to go to each character, up and down to choose the letter/number/symbol. Pain in the butt, I know, but it's a possibility.
01-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

RE: tethered shooting,

aren't they making or updating Pentax Remote assistant to be used with the k10d?

01-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My wishlist item - a battery grip for the K100D.
01-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I have to agree with you Alvin. I would like to see Pentax come up with a battery grip for all the DSLR's.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David
01-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #26

Interesting list - I have an additional suggestion.

Since I always shoot RAW (DNG) I don't really have any use for the dedicated RAW/JPEG button - it would be nice to make this user assigned in the custom setup menu.
For example, it could be set to bring up any of the options from the Fn button for example - so a quick push on RAW button and scroll ofrear-thumbwheel could change through the various shooting modes (Single Shot, Continuous, Self-Timer etc).

Just hope someone working on Firmware 1.2 is reading this

Mick
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickdann Quote
Since I always shoot RAW (DNG) I don't really have any use for the dedicated RAW/JPEG button - it would be nice to make this user assigned in the custom setup menu.
I don't ALWAYS shoot Raw. When I'm shooting sports I usually shoot JPEG, in order to get more shots in continuous mode. Nevertheless, I agree that a Raw/JPEG button on the body of the camera would be a BAD idea. Buttons on the outside of the body should be for things that the photographer wants to change frequently, not for things that most people set once and forget about (at least for the duration of a shoot).

Will
01-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A small handheld flash unit-specifically with a hand grip (and wrist strap!). Guide number about 25-26ft; 18-20 degree angle of coverage (APSc based). Wireless, AA powered.

Strictly the kind of device one holds in the left hand, out at arms length above the head. Head shots and small group portraits. Some macro work. Like a Morris slave but Pentax branded and modeled to fit the K-digital Line-up.

Fits the overall Pentax shooting philosophy, gets the flash off the camera.
01-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
A small handheld flash unit-specifically with a hand grip (and wrist strap!). Guide number about 25-26ft; 18-20 degree angle of coverage (APSc based). Wireless, AA powered.
How about a Stroboframe with an extention cord to the hot-shoe? Works for me for event photography, and I just use an old Vivitar 285.
01-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Got several brackets including a couple stroboframes. Got several 283s/285s and cords and adapters too. Heavy, tangled, inconvenient.

For a hundred dollars (US) give or take 20 bucks: a 4-channeled wireless P-TTL handheld flash-no cable, frame or hotshoe--hold it yourself, call a friend or bungee cable it to something.

I'm not looking for a solution-got plenty of those in many bags, boxes, and sacks; I am looking for a useful new gadget.