Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

GPS??

I'm an avid hiker, paddler and mountaineer and GPS is relatively useless to me in all but paddleing where finding little coves, outlets and on meandering rivers it can be helpful.

Why this is needed on a camera is beyond my grasp.

I guess I have a superior memory but I can generally remember where most of my shots were taken, even years later, mixed in with very similar looking shots, I can figure out where we were. I can enter that into the description on the exif and I'm good to go.

GPS is expensive, not guaranteed to work (it's courtesy of the US government and at any time can be disabled or scrambled).

A camera is a photographic tool, not a damn computer. The less computer like it becomes the more I enjoy it.

Quite simply I'd love to have a basic digital back on some of my old manual film bodies. Essentially just digital film.

So no GPS, no MP3, no electronic add-ons not specifically needed to take a better image.

In terms of adding copyright info, I like that, no need for an alpha numeric keypad. Just simply use what is on every camera. my remote control on the TV allows me to add custom channel tags without a keypad, so can a camera using the scroll wheels.

Or just allow it to be added via the Pentax Remote Assistant or similar on the computer.

01-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The one feature I'd like to have is the ability to take a "mask" frame that can be used to map out hot pixels. Also would like to have the ability to mask out dust spots like the new Canon has.
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Nevertheless, I agree that a Raw/JPEG button on the body of the camera would be a BAD idea. Buttons on the outside of the body should be for things that the photographer wants to change frequently, not for things that most people set once and forget about (at least for the duration of a shoot).
Due to lots of bad weather, today has been my first serious shooting day out with the K10D. I was shooting mainly in jpeg and bracketing (usually manually) where the histogram didn't want to play the game. For one particular shot however I realised even the bracketed shots were going to be difficult to combine successfully, so, as a last-minute thought, I used the Raw button to change to jpeg+raw. I haven't processed any of the shots yet, but that facility was potentially useful; if I had had to go through the menu I almost certainly wouldn't have bothered.

Simon