Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Xgear

Wishlist for Pentax

Check this out http://www.digitalfotonetz.de/Downloads/News/DigitalFotoNetz_wishlist_Jan2007.pdf

01-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I would very much like to see an interval shooting option (my Canon PowerShot S3 IS called it the "intervalometer") and even more like to see a larger buffer so I could shoot more than two shots Raw format in quick succession.

But really, FIVE different levels of JPEG compression? I'm actually one of those who's still making up his mind about Raw; but when I shoot JPEG, I never shoot anything except largest size, lowest compression (***). I can't think of any reason to use the higher compression options - unless I was in a desperate situation and running out of storage but knew I still had 200 more photos to take. That's never happened.
01-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those are some great thoughts.
I totally agree with writing the focal length to EXIF even when SR is turned on, as well as writing the copyright info too.
Absolutely agree on displaying ISO in the viewfinder and having the scroll wheel/OK button change it.
01-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I didn't see GPS, Wi-Fi, or built-in MP3 player on the list. Nikon and Canon offer the first two, Pentax should offer all three to one up the competition.

I find some of this wish list a little hard to swallow. Not the least of which is the request for 5 levels of jpeg. I did a little test when I first brought the K10D home. I noticed that the *** jpeg gave only about 2.5 mb files. Certainly this could not be. So I took a DNG in Photoshop and saved it as a level 10 jpeg. Mind you, a level 10 jpeg in Photoshop is as good as you ever need and some pro printing labs request you use only level 10. Guess what? 2.5 mb!! The camera is already doing what it should be doing.

I add IPTC copyright info to all my files and it would be cool to have the camera do it for me, but how? Do they add an alphabetic keypad to the camera? Offer some downloadable software that we key it into then do some personal firmware update? It is so easy to do in the software I already use that it doesn't seem practical to add it to the camera. In fact Lightroom and Bridge CS3 will add it while they are getting the images off my card so I don't even have to type anything.

I did see several things that I would like, but even then I wonder if some of these things would raise the prices. Are we that unhappy with the tools Pentax has provided for us? Don't get me wrong, like I said, I did see several things that I would like and that should be easy things to add. Let's not forget that these tools are only half computer, the other half is still camera. Though it may not be perfect I don't think it needs but a fraction of that list to make it so.

01-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those are fixed in the firmware update Of course, Pentax won't be adding any new features, but the 32sec issue should at least be resolved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Xgear

"I didn't see GPS, Wi-Fi, or built-in MP3 player on the list. Nikon and Canon offer the first two, Pentax should offer all three to one up the competition. "

I know right. Like my friends cell phone after showing off the wi-fi, gps, Internet, video camera, mp3 and windows xp for three weeks he now just uses the cell phone that drops call a lot.
ha-ha
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Xgear Quote
"I didn't see GPS, Wi-Fi, or built-in MP3 player on the list. Nikon and Canon offer the first two, Pentax should offer all three to one up the competition. "

I know right. Like my friends cell phone after showing off the wi-fi, gps, Internet, video camera, mp3 and windows xp for three weeks he now just uses the cell phone that drops call a lot.
ha-ha
Pretty soon cell phones won't have phones in them. LOL

01-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I totally agree with writing the focal length to EXIF even when SR is turned on, as well as writing the copyright info too.
The focal length DOES get written to EXIF. At least, when I look at my photos in Adobe Lightroom, it shows me the focal length for each shot.

When I shoot with one of my Pentax lenses, Lightroom also shows me the model lens that I used. If I shoot with my Tamron 18-200, I still get the focal length, but not the model lens.

Will
01-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

yeah..i get focal length too when viewing exif...

depends on the program...some show more than others..photobrowser has more info than windows

Windows EXIF info:

01-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Actually, when you shoot PEF it even lists the lens name, even if it is not Pentax lens. I shot a few PEF before I decided that I would rather use ACR than the Pentax software. The first thing listed in the exif on the first shot - "smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mmF4ED AL" followed by "45.0mm". That's enough for me. When I shot PEF on my *istD and converted to DNG the Adobe converter even preserved that info and it showed up in ACR and Lightroom.
01-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Actually, when you shoot PEF it even lists the lens name, even if it is not Pentax lens. I shot a few PEF before I decided that I would rather use ACR than the Pentax software. The first thing listed in the exif on the first shot - "smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mmF4ED AL" followed by "45.0mm".

I get the focal length on every shot, no matter what. But I'm getting the lens name only if it's a Pentax. I'm viewing the metadata in Adobe Lightroom, which I believe basically uses Camera Raw to process/read the Raw data.

Will
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
The focal length DOES get written to EXIF. At least, when I look at my photos in Adobe Lightroom, it shows me the focal length for each shot.

When I shoot with one of my Pentax lenses, Lightroom also shows me the model lens that I used. If I shoot with my Tamron 18-200, I still get the focal length, but not the model lens.

Will
Not when you use M42 lenses or K/M lenses without electronic contacts.

I'm glad that it writes the focal length for these lenses when SR is turned *on*, it would just be nice to write it when SR is turned off, too. I just hate it when I forget which lens I was using, damn it.

(Of course, back in the 'film' days I don't think they recorded focal length with or without shake reduction turned on...)
01-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

some they forgot :lol:

Along with the wi-fi, GPS and MP3 player I want my new camera to give me a chocolate truffle everytime I nail a shot. In addition I think it should also prick you with a needle if you blow a shot (OOF, under/overexposed etc), however this function should be able to be turned off in the menu.
Since it's gonna have GPS, I think it should also have a recognition system so that you would know if another Pentax shooter is in proximity.

NaCl(and I think it should be able to play chess with you if it's raining)H2O +
01-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Since it's gonna have GPS, I think it should also have a recognition system so that you would know if another Pentax shooter is in proximity. +
A little gif animation can appear on the LCD and do a little happy dance when it sees it's cousins.
01-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Inactive Account

OK, on second look it did not record the lens name with my Tamron lens. However, it did record the focal lenth with the SR off.