Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
camera store trickery? (and E3 vs. K20d vs. D300)

I went to my local store to lay my hands on a K20d, E3, and D300. Very interesting experience as the UI and feel is fairly different between the 3. The store sells a lot of Nikon and the salesguy I was talking to was an admitted "Nikon snob" (his term). The D300 did take gorgeous shots, at least on the beautiful 3" display. By comparison the K20d looked good but not stunning. The E3, which initially felt the best in my hand, handled great but the images looked weak.

Then I paged through some of the menus on the E3. Turns out the color was set to "muted". I changed it to "normal" and it looked a lot better. I didn't get the K20d back after that but I'm willing to bet that the D300 was set to "vivid" or equivalent. One has to wonder if that was an accident (a customer doing it) or by design.

In the end, I found the D300 to have a rather confusing UI and it is a big camera. It does focus quickly though, and the 3" display is beautiful. But the good Nikkor glass is really expensive. The E3 initially felt really good in my hands but it is also a big/heavy camera (relative to the K20d). And the buttons are really small (I have fairly large hands) and the ergonomics just aren't quite natural for me. Plus the 2.5" screen seemed small by comparison.

The K20d has the best UI imho, and while the camera is just a tad short (I can't quite fit all my fingers on the grip), the slightly smaller size makes it feel less ungainly. The 16-45 lens focused as quickly as the Nikon but seemed a tad slower than the Zuiko 12-60. The Oly glass is great.

In the end I think i've decided to get the K20d because I like the ergonomics. I wish I could get the equivalent quality of the Zuiko 12-60 lens...the 16-50* have been so spotty. I would think about going 31/70/100 macro primes, but it is nice to have a wide zoom for street work.

At any rate, interesting to handle them all one after the other.

03-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, one would hope that that was all entirely innocent, but then if you wanted to sell one over the other.....what a great way to do it. Very clever....totally un-ethical, but clever.

I wonder how many people fall for that one?
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
mmm . . I wonder too. But at the end of the day, you can't always decide on the quality of picture looking at the 3" or 2.7" or 2.5" screen. I know! Lots of great looking shots on the on camera view screen turn out crappy when viewed on a 20" LCD.

Regarding the size of the K20D, I have large hands too and found that adding the BG-2 to my K10D changed the ergos of the camera markedly - somehow it just seems more substantial to hold now and of course for that portrait shot, it is just great.
03-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

see unfair right there.......both the oly and the nikon had lenses w/ the motor IN the lens....whilst the k20 had an old pin/body driven motor....

w/ the sdm....it's so much better.....