Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Advantage Pentax

I know we have a lot of discussions on how Pentax is lacking market share might lose us too and blah blah blah. But, I think I scored one for Pentax today.

I was in our largest local pro/am shop, who sells Nikon and Canon, but not Pentax and who discouraged me from looking that way before I bought. They do have a few used K-Mount lenses at any given time and I was checking a few out today. I went in with a K50/1.4 lens on and he commented about manual focus and I mentioned Catch-In-Focus. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I explained and demonstrated. He called a few of his colleagues over to check it out and they got really excited and all said that they didn't think Canon or Nikon had anything like that.

I definitely didn't get snobbery, they were quite impressed. I was proud. Score one for Pentax.

06-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Advantage Pentax
Should read "advantage troika" too.
06-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
switched to canon for almost an year now.
only thing I miss sometimes from pentax is the in body shake reduction.
06-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
switched to canon for almost an year now
I didn't switch, I just use both, Canon for work to please the powers that be and Pentax for pleasure and to please me.

06-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't igonoence a form of snobbery too
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I know we have a lot of discussions on how Pentax is lacking market share might lose us too and blah blah blah. But, I think I scored one for Pentax today.

I was in our largest local pro/am shop, who sells Nikon and Canon, but not Pentax and who discouraged me from looking that way before I bought. They do have a few used K-Mount lenses at any given time and I was checking a few out today. I went in with a K50/1.4 lens on and he commented about manual focus and I mentioned Catch-In-Focus. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I explained and demonstrated. He called a few of his colleagues over to check it out and they got really excited and all said that they didn't think Canon or Nikon had anything like that.

I definitely didn't get snobbery, they were quite impressed. I was proud. Score one for Pentax.
06-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good story and good to hear something positive ... thanks, J
06-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I still think the most advantage Pentax over Canon and Nikon is the in body shake reduction.
and it become more obvious since dslr video is booming.
a video shot with IS and without is huge difference. even with shoulder rig, it still a lot better with IS.

another advantage is the availability of those cheap legacy manual focus lens.
again that is more an advantage when comes to video.

Man. if Pentax improve their video capability. I think Pentax is a very tempting system for many Canon or Panasonic HDSLR videographer.

06-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You can find something to like with any camera ever built.

Cameras can be like software apps. There is something in this RAW editor it does better than that RAW editor, this CAD program does this particular thing better than that CAD program, etc. But when we look at the software package as a whole (eg driver and multi-platform support, more popular and hence easier to find online help and 3rd party add-ons , etc), it's usually the reason for our choice. And not too different, it seems, from the multitude of cameras out there.
06-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Of course. I wasn't trying to start the debate and I have no need to actually convert or impress anyone, but reading here, I was bracing myself for people saying snide things to me about my Pentax, out in the real world. So far, my experience has been pleasantly contrary to that.

A co-worker and his brother were shooting the night skyline shot from Kerry Park last month and called me. They are all really experienced Canon users, but they were interested in and cool about my choice of Pentax...and they had a cooler of beer, so it was a good night.
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Way to go Pentax!
Way to go Troika!
06-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I still think the most advantage Pentax over Canon and Nikon is the in body shake reduction.
Lets not forget Minolta/Sony has their own in-body shake reduction as well. Gotta represent Sony too... I own both