Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10 Refuses To Fire, And Pictures Are Crooked

Sometimes when I press the shutter button, my camera refuses to make the exposure. I am shooting in manual mode, and have set the shutter and aperture, using the scale in the viewfinder to get the exposure correct. I have found that if I turn off the autofocus it will fire the shutter.

The hexagonal icon in the viewfinder is blinking when this is happening.

I have poured through the manual and can't seem to find a solution.

What am I missing.

Also, no matter how careful I am at composing a shot, and making sure the horizon is level, the images come out crooked, and the scene is shifted slightly to one side. I have to either rotate & crop them in POST, or tip the camera slightly when taking the picture and move the camera slightly to one side.

Is there an adjustment to correct this?

Here are examples of the shift in registration of the images.

Crooked:

Not Crooked:

06-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K10D doesn't have automatic horizon correction, does it? I've had this happen on the K-5 when the building I was shooting was in fact not perfectly level

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blinking AF confirm light means the camera could not achieve an AF lock. This could be caused by a number of things, the most common being that you are too close to the subject and less than the MFD. It could also be not enough light or contrast to achieve a lock, or it could be a fault in the lens or even in the camera AF motor.

No idea about the tilted images. Have you been drinking....? (just kidding)
06-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sometimes when I press the shutter button, my camera refuses to make the exposure. I am shooting in manual mode, and have set the shutter and aperture, using the scale in the viewfinder to get the exposure correct. I have found that if I turn off the autofocus it will fire the shutter.

The hexagonal icon in the viewfinder is blinking when this is happening.

I have poured through the manual and can't seem to find a solution.

What am I missing.

Also, no matter how careful I am at composing a shot, and making sure the horizon is level, the images come out crooked, and the scene is shifted slightly to one side. I have to either rotate & crop them in POST, or tip the camera slightly when taking the picture and move the camera slightly to one side.

Is there an adjustment to correct this?

Here are examples of the shift in registration of the images.

Crooked:

Not Crooked:
When set to AF.S (single Auto Focus) the camera will not allow a photo to be taken unless it thinks that focus has been achieved. This is shown by the AF hexagon being steady in the viewfinder. If the camera can not get focus the AF hexagon blinks. Of AF.C (continuous auto focus) the camera does not worry if things are in focus and will allow photos to be taken even if focus has not been achieved.

With a manual focus lens, the camera will not auto focus, but in AF.S mode it will require focus to be achieved before the shutter can be released. If you think you have focus where you want it and the AF hexagon is blinking, the camera does not think it has achieved focus. In this situation switch the camera to MF and the need to achieve focus is overridden.

See FOCUSING pages 130 to 137 of the K10D manual. You might need to read between the lines and experiment to see the various actions available,

As for the shifted horizontals - Try waiting for the shake reduction hand to appear in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter button all the way to take a photo. Also press the shutter button with a smooth action, don't jab at it, otherwise the act of jabbing will force the right hand side of the camera down so the horizon will appear down in your photos. Remember the K10D's viewfinder is not 100% of the scene so some area outside what you see in the viewfinder will appear in the final photo. Your sensor could also be out of alignment. To test this set the camera on a tripod, level the camera with built-in spirit levels on the tripod head, if the tripod has them, or with a spirit level in the hot shoe. Fire the shutter with a remote control. Horizontal lines should come out horizontal if the sensor is aligned correctly.

Regards

Chris

06-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When K-20D first came out, I bought and returned/exchanged 2 of them for badly tilting/crooking images. I finally settled down to keep the third one as it was not so bad compared to the first 2.
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There should be a menu setting to be able to take a photo without focus confirmation, that is the issue there. As far as the non-level horizon, that was a known issue with the K10d - back when I had one it definitely had it but was subtle - it was something about the mirror box being tilted and used to be fixed under warranty...but I'm guessing that is long past at this point.
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Also, no matter how careful I am at composing a shot, and making sure the horizon is level, the images come out crooked, and the scene is shifted slightly to one side.
It's the camera. I have the same issue, which I posted about in the "horizon level not working" thread (and the fact that should be user adjustable).

06-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

On the K-10D you can set the focus mode selector switch to manual focus. You'll have to turn the focus ring manually but you can take an exposure without the focus confirmation lit. You can set the AF button so when pushed in it overrides the focus confirmation and allows to you take an exposure. I have this set since focus lock or changing the focus point doesn't work with manual focus lenses. This allows me to focus with confirmation and recompose.

I have noticed with my K-10D it is often difficult to get vertical or horizontal features to be parallel with one or more of the image frame. This can usually be fixed in post=processing if need be.
06-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

K10Ds often had a crooked sensor problem -- there is no user adjustment, only the repair guys can do it. Basically just get used to tilting it a bit to compensate (or get it fixed)...
06-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
the images come out crooked
For me this is Lightroom and Photoshop territory, both do a quick cracking job, so that I don't worry if I have a wee lean at time of taking.

A big lean is more likely due to alcohol and I still tend not to worry too much.