Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got my camera today - and I've got a couple things to say.

1. No dead/hot pixels!! I found an app on the web that detects them, and there are none (at least, not at the default thresholds).

2. Though I was told by Beach to send only the body, and though I told them in two different places (email and my return form) that I was sending only the body and keeping the lens, they sent me a kit with a lens.

So, now I've got a working camera and 2 kit lenses. I think I'll take the high road and inform them I've got 2 lenses and only paid for 1. I hope they don't make me pay for shipping to send it back to them.

01-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brian Wahl Quote

Though I was told by Beach to send only the body, and though I told them in two different places (email and my return form) that I was sending only the body and keeping the lens, they sent me a kit with a lens. So, now I've got a working camera and 2 kit lenses. I think I'll take the high road and inform them I've got 2 lenses and only paid for 1. I hope they don't make me pay for shipping to send it back to them.
My hat's off to you, my friend. It's the right thing to do, and I would have done the very same thing. Who knows, they (not that you would need two of the very same lens) just might allow you to keep it, on the strength of your honesty. At the very least, I am sure that they would send you an RMA number for shipping it back, as opposed to having you pay for same. Whatever the outcome, I have to say (again) how 'straight-up' you are being about this mishap.
01-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the link to that program. I downloaded it, put it into action, and found that I seem to have a few problems myself (hot pixels). I have attached a capture of the info, and am assuming that I did the procedure right (lens cap on, eye piece covered, and a shot taken in all ISO settings). It was only ISO 1600 which revealed the 'hotties'. Back to the camera shop for me?

Last edited by NLAlston; 03-30-2007 at 11:03 AM.
01-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ok...here is another shot of the test screen, and this time I clicked on one of the 'hot pixel' indications before capturing the screen. Now, it seems to very clearly show that my K10 does have some real issues. Of the six problems noted, five of them show the same shape, at slightly different locations within the respective window. The sixth one shows just the inner square of that shape.

Last edited by NLAlston; 03-30-2007 at 11:03 AM.
01-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

this duff pixel peeping can be taken too far.. hot pixels will show up if the sensor is driven hard enough for long enough.. this is normal..

its also what the long exosure dark image subtraction technique is all about.. the fact that after a certain amount of shutter open time hot pixels will start to appear.. the more the sensitivity (higher iso) on the sensor is turned up the worse the sutuation is..

i am not sure where the acceptable cut off point is as regards having the things but iso 1600 for say 1/2 a second is getting close..

it dosnt pay to get too paranoid about them.. but then again pentax do seem a bit lapse.. being a bit of a cynic a few extra folks sending the cameras back should make them try a little harder in the future.. it might even provoke the ultimate answer.. user ability to get rid of the things as and when required..

trog
02-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I FINALLY sent beach an email today stating that they sent me an extra lens on accident. I really meant to do this sooner.

I'm curious what their response will be.
02-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
Got Pentax K100D from a friend (I live in Europe) also from Beachcamera, got a very good price and a very nice count of hotpixs! Impossible to return it from Europe for me! OK, hotpixs are 'normal“ up-to-date technology success. CCD sensors used in Pentax 100 are produced by the same producer as for other producers (as said in several web sites)! There must be a selection for different customers – camera producers!
Some notes to others on this problem: cross is not always a multiple hot pixel: when shot in RAW, there is only a dot visible (even on the camera LCD with 12x zoom), but when processed the same condition shot in camera JPG, there is an antialiased cross! Naturally, depending on the current scene content. Remapping doesn't exist by Nikon 50 as well, while it may be found on most not lowest end point'n'shots. I can process hot pixels myself, but it's quite boring and time consuming job. Does anybody know any 'automatic' software solution?
By the way, Pentax probably know for this problem as well as for bad center positioning of the sensor. Obviously, digital cameras are quite far from film cameras in some areas!
11-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #38
jdg
Forum Member

I just tested my k100d super using starzen DPT i got 0 dead pixels but plenty of hot pixels varying in number depending on different iso's and shutter speeds. Do you think i should send my cam for repairs my warranty is going to expire in feb 2009?

11-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's normal to have a few bad pixels; it's normal for more pixels to have problems on long exposures, and it's normal for more bad pixels to develop over time.