Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Defective K100D

So I just got my K100D yesterday, and I've taken about 150 shots with it. I noticed today that every single photo has a nice red dot in it when zoomed in. Sometimes it's not noticeable, but on photos with a light background, it pops at about 100%.

I know it doesn't show up at sizes that are used most, but I can't keep this thing with the hot pixel - it's going back for a return. I ordered from Beach Camera, so hopefully they'll be good to deal with. I'll get an RA# tomorrow, then wait for a while for the new one to arrive (hopefully).

So here's the proof/evidence. These are 100 - 400% crops or so.

This is a hot/dead pixel, right?

01-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yes and its not that uncommon.. its a Pentax warrantee fault so dont be put of by folks who say its normal.. send it back..

trog
01-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm going to give Beach a call today.
01-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Forum Member

holy crop.....brian i think you opened a can of worms. guess what? thanks for this pic. i tried to zoom in some of the pics i took with my K100D and likewise my pic got this red dot also. i just hope someone from the forum can educate us or tell us excatly if this is common to pentax camera. now that i have this problem also i guess it's really time for me to return my pentax. anyone here tell us what is happening with our pentax? if i can find a program to crop my pic and post it.

thanks,
cruiserlan2000

01-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I emailed beach last night - already got a response and an RMA return # from them. I'm going to call, though - mainly to ask if they want the lens back, too.

The email said the return process should take 14 days. So far so good . . .
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
holy crop.....
hehe - that cracked me up

I hope you get everything straightened out, too. I just used Adobe Lightroom (GREAT program for everything form organization to common editing) to crop my pics. It's free since it's still in beta.

You could also use a free open-source photo editor called "GIMP". Just search for GIMP and you'll find it - similar to photoshop (w/out the price tag).
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone in this thread ever shoot film, process it yourself and print it? It's a serious question.

01-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Did anyone in this thread ever shoot film, process it yourself and print it? It's a serious question.
Yeah - I took a class in college. Used a 20-year old nikon and developed my photos in a darkroom. Lots of fun - lots of imperfections on the photos.

Still, if I've got a dead pixel, and I can get a new camera without one, why shouldn't I return it?

I understand your point, I think - (if your point is that it's such a minor imperfection that it could be disregarded).
01-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

brian,
is this red dot consistently in one spot on all the pics you posted? how many pics that you took have this red spot? all?
01-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
brian,
is this red dot consistently in one spot on all the pics you posted? how many pics that you took have this red spot? all?
Yeah, it's in every pic I've taken - in exactly the same spot. On a solid background (light or dark) its easy to see. On a busy background it's harder to see, but still there. You can see it on the preview mode on the camera, as well as the photo itself.

What's even more annoying is that its in almost the middle of the sensor.
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

brian,
sorry to ask you one more question - is this visible without zooming the pic when you look at the preview mode or when you look at the pic at normal size or you need to zoom it to make it visible?

thanks again,
cruiserlan2000
01-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"common to pentax camera"

its a digital thing.. hot or dead pixels happen.. over time they will appear come what may.. but my view is they should not be there on a new camera with relatively normal exposures..

the dark image subtraction technique takes care of long exposures..

my son took two back until he found a k100 that didnt have them straight from the box.. to me its poor quality control..

they can be mapped out useing clever software.. ultimately this software should be provided with the camera so as the user can map them out as they appear..

who the h-ll want pinks dots all over their pictures..

my sons E20 came with such software.. which was why he wasnt happy with a k100 that came as new with duff pixels and no means of correcting it..

if u cant see any its not wise to go looking for them cos once u know they are there they annoy the h-ll out of u.. he he

trog

ps.. pentax to their credit do accept it as a fault.. but not to there credit they seem to let a few too many slip by with something they consider a fault..
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
brian,
sorry to ask you one more question - is this visible without zooming the pic when you look at the preview mode or when you look at the pic at normal size or you need to zoom it to make it visible?

thanks again,
cruiserlan2000
You can see it very well at 100%, zoomed out you can see it if you're looking for it.

Here's a 100% crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
01-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #14

Yes. It was fun, too. Nothing like the smell of developer chemicals, except maybe some Hoppes #9.

And it has nothing to do with a stuck pixel on a CCD. +1 on the "send it back".
01-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes. I did for over 50 years. I processed my black and white negatives and printed them using different paper grades and then Ilford Multigrade and I also used Ilford Cibachrome direct positive from slides. Never colour negative material.
I now occasionally shoot colour negs and let a lab process the negatives. I then print them on my computer using PhotoShop.
I haven't been in my darkroom in almost 3 years. Digital is much, much easier and much, much faster and much, much more versatile and much, much, much cheaper.

Mickey