Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rear e-dial stuck on K10D

Well, the dial itself isn't stuck, it turns freely, but the aperture stays at f/5.6. This is the case with both of my DA lenses, as well as both of my A series MF lenses. The shooting modes I'm trying to use are M and Av.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks.

03-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
Well, the dial itself isn't stuck, it turns freely, but the aperture stays at f/5.6. This is the case with both of my DA lenses, as well as both of my A series MF lenses. The shooting modes I'm trying to use are M and Av.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks.
The first thing I would do is make certain that the edial on the grip is in one of the detents, not stuck in between. If that is not the case, remove the grip and check again. I find the grip is one of the neatest things since sliced bread, but am constantly leaving things in an unsteady state. It is now automatic to me when anything goes weird on my K10D to turn the grip off. My little ringer just loves to half press the shutter release while I am reviewing on the LCD.
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!

You Sir, are a genius. Thanks so much for the quick and correct reply. Just cycling the grip power off and on did the trick. I was panicking a bit since I just got a call from the producer of a documentary I'm working on to see if I could shoot a 20x30" collage of our main character. The panic set in when I put the 50mm macro on the camera and found I had no aperture control. Anyway, a great load off my mind, and thanks again.
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
You Sir, are a genius. Thanks so much for the quick and correct reply. Just cycling the grip power off and on did the trick. I was panicking a bit since I just got a call from the producer of a documentary I'm working on to see if I could shoot a 20x30" collage of our main character. The panic set in when I put the 50mm macro on the camera and found I had no aperture control. Anyway, a great load off my mind, and thanks again.
Genius, no. Just your an old klutz who tends to try to figure out what he fouled up himself before he looks for broken equipment.

03-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Exactly what I do when the rear (and more often, front) e-dial don't respond. i turn the grip off and everything is a-ok!
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #6

Is this something that has ever happened to someone who doesn't have a grip?
03-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Is this something that has ever happened to someone who doesn't have a grip?
I have a grip on my camera, but not one on my life.
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I have a grip on my camera, but not one on my life.
I'm off to the t-shirt shop.

03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

It never happened to me without the grip but has a couple of times with the grip. I echo the advice of the previous responses; turn the grip off and back on to clear the problem.
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes it happens without the grip too. Rotating the mode dial to a different setting and then back seemed to get it working again for me.
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There was a thread on this a few days ago!

In fact, it's nice to see the same people in this thread too
03-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That was mine lol...it just started working for some reason without any fiddling...