Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you transfer images from camera to computer?
Card reader 7479.57%
Camera cable 1516.13%
Other (explain) 44.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I remove the card to transfer files and pop another one in the camera immediately.
Why?
Because if the endangered Flat Footed Dodo Pigeon decides to stop by my feeder I want to have my camera ready to grab a picture instead of sitting sadly by while my camera is doing stuff a card reader should be doing.
Darn, I have missed so many images of the endangered Flat Footed Dodo Pigeon because I leave the camera plugged into the computer. I should have read this years ago. I coulda been a contender.

06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Darn, I have missed so many images of the endangered Flat Footed Dodo Pigeon because I leave the camera plugged into the computer. I should have read this years ago. I coulda been a contender.
At least you've seen a FFDP !! And a Red Wolf!!
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was just going to ask if anyone used one of those..... what is the transfer speed like?
The creator of the EyeFi card said it's roughly 15-18 MBit/sec (not MByte).
That's why if you're tethering with it, you want to transfer only the smallest JPEG...which will still look better than the image on the back of your screen

The microUSB connector is rated for 10K plugs so that should last a while. SD cards will last longer, but it's in the "who cares?" range so if it breaks, it's time to upgrade the body :-)
06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I remove the card to transfer files and pop another one in the camera immediately...
+1. I always have a fresh card in the camera while the used card goes in the card slot on my computer. If I am traveling, I don't delete anything from the card and it becomes my secondary back-up until I get home. I always carry enough cards to have a new one each day of shooting.

06-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #20

Card reader... back from a day of shooting, I pull the card and the battery. Stick the battery on the charger and the card in the reader. I get to do two things at once.
06-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I have never in my life transferred photos to my computer by connecting the camera to the computer.
06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

direct with cable. normal speed is 5Mps, some can make 7-8Mps. best is usb3 with 50Mps.
faster card, faster read.
also depends on the hardware and supported usb drivers.
i am running linux.
06-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've always used usb card readers.. Curiously, since I got my k-5 and two 16GB class 10 SD cards last year, I've always thought that some random image corruptions were the fault of my SD cards, because I bought the cheapest SD cards I could find. Then a couple weeks ago I started using a different usb card reader that was included in a computer case a friend gave me. Since then I haven't had a single image corruption. I am not positive yet but am thinking it was my old card reader that was corrupting some of my images. Except for a couple occasions, I always shoot raw+jpeg and it was almost always the jpegs that got corrupted.. On the couple of occasions when I shot jpeg only, I lost quite a few keepers that I was really bummed about... I've tested both ways since this new reader though and no corruptions yet. I am bummed to learn that hundreds of images since last July could have been spared, but will be glad to not have more corruptions going forward of course... I could be wrong since it's still a bit too soon to say for sure, but all this to say - if you're having any image corruption issues, test that card reader too!

06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I've done both with different cameras and much prefer using the cable. The cable is sitting on the desk and it's darn easy to open the K-30 port and plug the cable in.
06-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My Mac mini has a built in sd slot, so I use that because it is much faster than the card reader. I do have a card reader, but I use it when I have a second shooter at weddings and they use cf cards.
06-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eye-Fi.
06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I have never in my life transferred photos to my computer by connecting the camera to the computer.
I have never taken a camera USB cable out of the plastic it was shipped in. I don't think I've ever taken one out of the box - but that could be wrong.