Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you transfer images from camera to computer?
Card reader 7479.57%
Camera cable 1516.13%
Other (explain) 44.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Transferring images - card reader or camera cable?

When you transfer images to your computer, do you use a card reader or do you connect the camera to the computer directly? I almost always connect directly, because I think I read somewhere on the internet (which is always truthful you know) that constant switching in and out of SD cards wasn't good for the card or something like that.

Sometimes I forget to turn the camera off after the transfer and it just sits there, on and draining batteries, which is annoying. That would be one reason why I would switch to using a card reader. Another is that the micro-USB connection on the K-30 is a bit more cumbersome to get to, compared to the K200D. However, it's also more difficult to get the SD card out of the K-30 than the K200D.

Thoughts?

06-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
When you transfer images to your computer, do you use a card reader or do you connect the camera to the computer directly? I almost always connect directly, because I think I read somewhere on the internet (which is always truthful you know) that constant switching in and out of SD cards wasn't good for the card or something like that.

Sometimes I forget to turn the camera off after the transfer and it just sits there, on and draining batteries, which is annoying. That would be one reason why I would switch to using a card reader. Another is that the micro-USB connection on the K-30 is a bit more cumbersome to get to, compared to the K200D. However, it's also more difficult to get the SD card out of the K-30 than the K200D.

Thoughts?
Hi. I used to use a card reader when transferring images from my K10D. The main reason I switched to a cable is that it's much harder to remove the card from my K-5. The door doesn't swing wide enough, or my fingers are too fat. Every time I remove an SD card from the K-5, it winds up on the floor.
06-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
My computer has a built-in card reader so it's faster than using the cable. I also find getting the card out of my K-30 is easier than getting into that fiddly little micro usb through that even fiddlier little rubber door.
06-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

If transfer speed is really important, I doubt that camera + cable can beat the speed of USB 3 you can get with a good reader + fast card.

06-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
My computer has a built-in card reader so it's faster than using the cable. I also find getting the card out of my K-30 is easier than getting into that fiddly little micro usb through that even fiddlier little rubber door.
I do too find removing the card is much easier than fiddling with that little connector on the camera.
06-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
If transfer speed is really important, I doubt that camera + cable can beat the speed of USB 3 you can get with a good reader + fast card.
I agree, my USB 3.0 card reader is much faster than using the camera with cable. I just ordered the new Eye-Fi Mobi SDHC card that transfers images and videos to my 64GB Retina iPad or Verizon HTC Droid DNA with 5" 1080p display. I also have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 to transfer from camera to my MacBook Air , Mac or PC.
06-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ale_guy Quote
Hi. I used to use a card reader when transferring images from my K10D. The main reason I switched to a cable is that it's much harder to remove the card from my K-5. The door doesn't swing wide enough, or my fingers are too fat. Every time I remove an SD card from the K-5, it winds up on the floor.
Yes, the K5 is a little harder from which to remove the SD card. You'll find numerous complaints regarding this here on the forums. Here's a tip I discovered quite by accident - I found a pair of right-angled tweezers around my house. It's perfect for grabbing the card. I now keep the tweezers next to where I place my K5 when I get home from a shoot -problem solved. I haven't had too many occasions to change cards in the field, but when I do I just push it back in and try again. It usually comes out far enough to grab after a couple of tries.

Jeff

06-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

i leave the card in the camera always and have a cable that is already plugged into my computer, laying on my desk, so the plugging in of the cable is actually quicker that ejecting the card.
One time i was ejecting the card from the camera, my finger caught it the wrong way and the card actually shot out of the camera and on the ground, so i decided i didn't want that hassle.
06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
My notebook, netbook and self-contained photo/hard drive all have built-in SD card slots. I used my USB cable once just to test that it worked. I prefer to not waste my camera's battery to turn it into an external flash drive.
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
cable is usb 2.0
card readers are now usb 3.0

Hoping the next gen of cameras has usb 3.0 support because usb 2.0 is far too slowwwwwwww :-P
06-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #11

Card reader from Sandisk. Cameras K200D Samsung GX20.
06-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, if switching SD cards in and out damages or wears out the camera, so does the cable....

But, I'm lazy, I do neither: EyeFi WiFi SD cards for me....transfer to a pocketable device whilst shooting, or on the trip back to base.
06-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, if switching SD cards in and out damages or wears out the camera, so does the cable....

But, I'm lazy, I do neither: EyeFi WiFi SD cards for me....transfer to a pocketable device whilst shooting, or on the trip back to base.

I was just going to ask if anyone used one of those..... what is the transfer speed like?
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was just going to ask if anyone used one of those..... what is the transfer speed like?
I couldn't tell you exactly, honestly, I have never sat staring at the camera with a stopwatch whilst transferring

I kinda sorta want to say that on the K-01 I can transfer a RAW file in what feels like 20-30 seconds, but that's really just a guestimate.

My usual mode of operation is to either keep the receiving device in the camera bag and transfer "as I shoot", using the SD card as a "buffer" and profiting from also the between-shots time for transferring. I rarely have anything left on the card when back.

A couple of weeks back I spent a day walking up and down a mountain, taking about 400 RAW shots. I somehow forgot to launch the transfer on the receiving device, so when I came back to the hotel I had them all to get over. I started the transfer, took a shower and went downstairs for a quick (informal, sit, eat, leave) dinner, and when I was back up they were all over.

Can't give you precise figures, but it's not something that's been "so slow that I've noticed". Does that make sense?
06-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remove the card to transfer files and pop another one in the camera immediately.
Why?
Because if the endangered Flat Footed Dodo Pigeon decides to stop by my feeder I want to have my camera ready to grab a picture instead of sitting sadly by while my camera is doing stuff a card reader should be doing.