Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Totphoto.. that is too funny! I think some people are too into the electronic and not the photography. I really wish film wasn't so expensive to develop or that I had space for a darkroom. It's too techie now...
B&W is very easy to DIY! I would still shoot film B&W if I could just get the developer here.

03-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Take a look at the galleries and posts around here, and you may find (cannot make your opinion for you) that you are making the right choice in regards to the cost and delivery. Equipment price cannot make your composition or exposure. The perfect lens is a nice to have, but why should that mean it is not in your kitbag? (again, look at some of the fantastic, humbling, shots at this site). IMHO, pentax delivers, as it always has. The rest is our bit.
03-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really hope this doesn't open a can of worms.. but here I go..

I was talking to a photographer friend of mine and told him i was looking to buy a Pentax set up. He's a Canon man, prev. a Nikon man, and told me that Pentax is a limited system. I know some photographers who are all about equipment, and this particular friend never has been. Have any of you used the "other" systems before and come back to Pentax? In my opion how may lenses can a company really make without repetition?
Here's something you should know. If you become a Pentax user, you will occasionally be exposed to Canon and Nikon users who think that Pentax is for losers, and they will speak to you in the condescending manner of those who consider themselves superior. You, however, will learn to be confident that your equipment is capable of producing images every bit as good as theirs, and usually for a lot less money. It is true that Canon and Nikon have larger systems and that they cater to professionals, but if the Pentax lineup contains what you need, then why should you care?

Rob
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Here's something you should know. If you become a Pentax user, you will occasionally be exposed to Canon and Nikon users who think that Pentax is for losers, and they will speak to you in the condescending manner of those who consider themselves superior. You, however, will learn to be confident that your equipment is capable of producing images every bit as good as theirs, and usually for a lot less money. It is true that Canon and Nikon have larger systems and that they cater to professionals, but if the Pentax lineup contains what you need, then why should you care?

Rob
That is so true... I can tell you that I am very happy with my decision to go with Pentax (besides all the great posters in this forum and other Pentax forum). I am also glad to learn that I can do pretty much (and more) with my K10D compare to my friend who bought the D200, which costs more than twice of what I paid for my K10D (more than K10D and K100D combined). Also, he said he does not need to take in RAW because JPEG is already the best IQ than my Pentax RAW (I think more of the reason is that Nikon package does not come with NEF to JPEG conversion software). Most are not even aware that the D200 and K10D share the same CCD made by SONY; not to mention about the innovation on Sv and TAv mode etc. The bottom line is that he likes his D200 (irregardless) and I like my K10D because of its value, and most of all it meets my requirement (don't care too much about 5fps stuff and lowe light AF as it is only a hobby for me).

03-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I think all the systems take nice photos but in the end it's up to your needs and camera feel. If the buttons are in the right place and you find it user friendly then that's the one for you. The only advantage with other systems atm is for fast action stuff but that may change in the future. The Pentax K10D feels right in your hand just like my KM7D and that's what made me choose it. The only area that Pentax is lacking in is a decent flash system. Pentax if you hear me, give us a Nikon like flash system and everything will be perfect. I'm not mentioning the lack of high end long zooms because that may change shortly as well. So if you like the feel of the K10D then get it because the lenses available are nice and not as pricey as others and it really does have the buttons in the right spots.

Tim H
03-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I think all the systems take nice photos but in the end it's up to your needs and camera feel. If the buttons are in the right place and you find it user friendly then that's the one for you. The only advantage with other systems atm is for fast action stuff but that may change in the future. The Pentax K10D feels right in your hand just like my KM7D and that's what made me choose it. The only area that Pentax is lacking in is a decent flash system. Pentax if you hear me, give us a Nikon like flash system and everything will be perfect. I'm not mentioning the lack of high end long zooms because that may change shortly as well. So if you like the feel of the K10D then get it because the lenses available are nice and not as pricey as others and it really does have the buttons in the right spots.

Tim H
What Tim says!!! Can't praise my K10 enough. Ergonomics are great for me and comfort on long shoots or holding the camera in a difficult pose really tests those ergos!.

You know what? At the end of the day, you can buy the best camera system in the world, pay heaps of money for it and still get a lousy picture .

Definition of your needs Madisonphotogrl is what is important here. There are so many features on the K10 that I doubt if I will ever use them all. There's always a way around a "limitation" and that is what often makes photography such fun - getting that difficult shot against all odds!

Good luck with your choice
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I feel so silly asking opinions on others on what I should use...
Don't worry about it--that's why these forums are so great, especially if you don't know anyone nearby that knows anything about Pentax. Professional reviews are helpful to a certain extent, but I also want to know what "real people" think about the gear that I'm considering buying. To consult us is to consult the Pentax collective wisdom; people around here are more than happy to help you make the most informed choices about the gear you want to buy.

BTW, if you do decide to get the K10D (which I hope you do), check out the Lens discussion forum for ideas on kit lens alternatives, if you decide not to get the kit lens with the body.

Heather
03-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Hi madisonphotogrl

Re your sentiments:

QuoteQuote:
I think I am feeling the funds depleting since I am getting married in June. The fiance' and I are committing to saving for a house after our wedding. So I am trying to get something to satisfy my photo itch and pacify my creative craving.
Firstly, congratulations on your forthcoming wedding and I trust that everything works out for you both. Hey listen, I've been married to my long-suffering wife for the best part of 30 years and despite my best endeavours, our funds are still depleting alarmingly after all this time, so nothing much ever seems to change......anyhow, join the club.........lol !
Choosing a camera is very much a matter of individual preference, dictated by a number of factors including cost, handling & ergonomics, reliability, imaging quality and lens & accessory availability to name but a few. Only you can decide which model and make you like best, but as a newcomer to Pentax DSLR's, I genuinely cannot think of anything currently available on the market which comes remotely near to matching (let alone exceeding) the sheer quality and value for money of the current K10D. The solidity of the build-quality is something to behold when comparing this camera with competing products and in my opinion, the K10D is a camera that you can 'grow into' rather than 'grow out of' ! If you are of the 'machine-gun' mentality so beloved of long-lens sports or action photographers particularly in low light scenarios, then maybe the K10D is not the ideal camera for your purposes. However, for general purpose usage, there is nothing much to touch it and the integral Shake Reduction feature built into the body will save you an absolute fortune when you add-up the extortionately expensive lenses with equivalent built-in SR that you would need to acquire from either C***n or N***n......simply my $0.02 cents worth !

Best regards
Richard

03-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #39

Original Poster
Thanks to all who posted. I really feel this is the best decision for me. I went to the local camera store and was talking "shop" with another customer who seemed to have a ton of money he had invested in and was tell me about his canon "L" lenses saying you have to invest in your glass and optics.. he did comment that pentax had great glass. He then proceeded to tell me why I need to buy a 40D! He talked about his fabulous new "L" series lenses he was able to get and how if I "really wanted" nice glass I would find a way to get it.. I basically told him I do have other priorities in my life besides photography like my hubby to be and hopefully a house.. He sort of turned his nose up at me.. All this from a fellow photographer... Seriously doubt this guy can take a decent picture to save his life. I think I'd be a Pentax owner just to on the opposite side of this guy's ego. OOOOOHHH I was mad and almost late to an appointment because he would not stop bragging about his damn Canon..

03-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to all who posted. I really feel this is the best decision for me. I went to the local camera store and was talking "shop" with another customer who seemed to have a ton of money he had invested in and was tell me about his canon "L" lenses saying you have to invest in your glass and optics.. he did comment that pentax had great glass. He then proceeded to tell me why I need to buy a 40D! He talked about his fabulous new "L" series lenses he was able to get and how if I "really wanted" nice glass I would find a way to get it.. I basically told him I do have other priorities in my life besides photography like my hubby to be and hopefully a house.. He sort of turned his nose up at me.. All this from a fellow photographer... Seriously doubt this guy can take a decent picture to save his life. I think I'd be a Pentax owner just to on the opposite side of this guy's ego. OOOOOHHH I was mad and almost late to an appointment because he would not stop bragging about his damn Canon..

I wonder if you just met the mythical RiceHigh?
03-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #41

Original Poster
In body shake reduction.. That came from the Minolta line didn't it? Will minolta lenses fit on Pentax?
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I wonder if you just met the mythical RiceHigh?

I don't understand....
03-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #43

Original Poster
[QUOTE=Confused;195363]Hi madisonphotogrl

Hey listen, I've been married to my long-suffering wife for the best part of 30 years and despite my best endeavours, our funds are still depleting alarmingly after all this time, so nothing much ever seems to change......anyhow, join the club.........lol !

You mean I won't suddenly become rich? this is another thing I am trying to keep in mind too. One other member posted that perhapse Pentax is making a come back with the K20D/K200D.. Hopefully they will add more to the product line...and maybe by then I can beg again for more equipment...

03-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand....
RiceHigh is a sometime poster who praises Canon and denigrates pentax, and to the best of the collected knowledge of this list, has yet to post one (1) image on line. He is on my ignore list.
03-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In body shake reduction.. That came from the Minolta line didn't it? Will minolta lenses fit on Pentax?
No...Minolta was bought out by Sony, so they might work on Sony DSLRs but that's it.

Sony/Olympus both intro'd in-body SR before Pentax IIRC.

What you take photos of also should affect which system you should buy into as others have mentioned.
Pentax is one of the best bang for buck systems though...just not for sports and low light photography (for that, I'd pick Canon/Nikon but only if you had the $$$ since that inevitably needs expensive lenses)...