Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I was at my youngest granddaughter's 2nd birthday party Sunday and had my trusty *ist DS with my DA 16-45 lens and AF500FTZ flash. After taking several pics, I set the camera down on the table. One of the 30 somethings at the party looked at my setup and said, "Pentax, huh, now THAT'S a camera"!! Kinda Kool!!!
I was out with the K10D, grip and 16-50 (with hood), and one lady was afraid to even look through it. She was impressed by the size of the front element of the lens.

03-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
All I've got to say is too many people pontificate about gear. Get a camera, take pictures.
Very true! If you don't wish to provide feedback, why post?
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tipsy1956 Quote

I bought my Pentax K100D super based on the size of the system, and I have now the kit lens ( comes with the SLR ) + a 40mm f2.8 pancake. I intend to obtain the 21mm pancake and later the 70mm pancake, mainly for travel.

Tipsy.
What are these "pancake" lenses?
03-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
What are these "pancake" lenses?
here's a link to one

03-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I was at my youngest granddaughter's 2nd birthday party Sunday and had my trusty *ist DS with my DA 16-45 lens and AF500FTZ flash. After taking several pics, I set the camera down on the table. One of the 30 somethings at the party looked at my setup and said, "Pentax, huh, now THAT'S a camera"!! Kinda Kool!!!
That just goes to show you Pentax needs to get their name out there more!! Why so limited here in the US?
03-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #66
Veteran Member

That just goes to show you Pentax needs to get their name out there more!! Why so limited here in the US?
Marketing, Marketing, Marketing!
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wiyum Quote
If you want to shoot sports, Pentax is the wrong system. If you want to do professional-grade architectural work, Pentax (and indeed nearly all small format digital offerings) is the wrong choice. If you want to do studio lighting with strobes and you need high speed flash sync, then Pentax isn't the right system to buy (at the moment).
If you want to shoot sport PROFESSIONALLY then I agree, but its fine for the odd weekend. As for tilt and shift capability, you really dont need that with digital - it can all be done with the right software a lot more easily.

And how often do you need 1/250 flash or high speed flash with studio strobes?

Pentax does what most amateurs need perfectly well, and then some. It can already produce bigger prints that most people ever bother with and you can buy a Sigma 50-500 which is what most Canon and Nikon shooters end up with anyway if they can afford the pro gear.

03-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Here is what you should do.

Come to my camera store and play with some cameras for about an hour or more. Get a feel, play with lenses, be prepared to make your own judgments.

Many of the statements in here about Pentax not being capable are rubbish and that can be easily proven if you sit down with someone and play with each camera.

PM me if you're interested as I'm not too long of a drive away from Madison.
03-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Here is what you should do.

Come to my camera store and play with some cameras for about an hour or more. Get a feel, play with lenses, be prepared to make your own judgments.

Many of the statements in here about Pentax not being capable are rubbish and that can be easily proven if you sit down with someone and play with each camera.

PM me if you're interested as I'm not too long of a drive away from Madison.

What a great offer!!

Now that's the kind of service I wish we would be offered in Adealide. Too many folks (salespeople) get impatient and just want to sell the "model of the day". Oh, I totally agree with trying out cameras and lenses too -- I did so with the K10, compared Sony, Canon. Nikon and Olympus, played with lenses for about an hour much to the store persons annoyance . . bet you can't guess what I settled on
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
What a great offer!!

Now that's the kind of service I wish we would be offered in Adealide. Too many folks (salespeople) get impatient and just want to sell the "model of the day". Oh, I totally agree with trying out cameras and lenses too -- I did so with the K10, compared Sony, Canon. Nikon and Olympus, played with lenses for about an hour much to the store persons annoyance . . bet you can't guess what I settled on
I'll do better than that..If you come to Paris, France, I will lend it to you for an afternoon!
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #71
Inactive Account

Life is about choice. Make your choice based on what seems right for you, then move on. My experience in many years of (amateur) photography is that I always have more lenses than I really need and whatever camera I have works just fine for my needs. My other experience is that everyone thinks his/her camera choice is the best one and can't understand why everyone else doesn't have that brand.
03-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #72
Veteran Member

specifications don't shoot pictures, people do. Don't underestimate the importance of the interface of the camera (physical, controls, UI, etc). You will get much better pictures from a camera that is comfortable to you and that you understand. While there will be a learning curve with any complicated tool, some are better for some people than others.

Getting 35 fps at iso 42800 with 413pt AF does you no good if you can't use the system or don't like the ergos.
03-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Very true! If you don't wish to provide feedback, why post?
but I did!

from what I understand, you've picked (and ordered) your camera, so the next step (when it arrives) is to get out and take some pictures. That's my advice

Cheers, Nige
03-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
I was on a flower shoot yesterday and we were shooting in groups of two. I was shooting with someone with a 40D. I did a shot of some rocks, and when he saw it, he wanted to shoot it too. I obliged, being a good sport and all. But he took more shots than I did (I took just 1). I asked him what's taking him so long and he answered, "I can't get the colors to look like yours. Yours look fantastic!"

I was using a K10D
Colors rock, no pun intended, lol with my K10d! So what type of photography do you think you will be doing?
03-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #75
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel so silly asking opinions on others on what I should use...
Don't! How on earth will we learn if we don't ask from others who have various bits of kit we are interested in? It is mostly useless asking the sales people, they are mostly interested in shifting stuff.

So, far from being silly, you are showing good sense in my view.